Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detonation

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 08:30 AM
Daytona Glider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detonation

I posted this in the correct area but after a week got no replies so I guess I will try here, maybe more of you will see it and have some advice. Thanks

I have an 07 Roadglide with the 96" motor, KN big breather and wild pigs slipons. I have the Thundermax auto tune installed. Overall everything is great and I love the bike/tuner. About 6 months ago I started having some detonation noises. I contacted Thundermax (very helpful) and they recommended a new map. I redid everything according to their instructions and installed the new map. The bike continues to run great and seems like it just keeps getting better but I still have the detonation right around the 2000-2500rpm range if I jump on it a little bit. I have bought gas from every different station I can thinking I might have gotten so crappy gas, still the same. Any suggestions other than don't jump on it that I can try with the Thundermax setup that could end this detonation issue? Thanks

Old 08-29-2011, 09:24 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Cruising at a steady speed on level road, you can get away with 2000 to 2500 RPM. If you want to accelerate rapidly though, you should downshift so the RPM's are in the 3000 range. You'll have better acceleration and you should eliminate the detonation.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:55 AM
Daytona Glider
Cruiser
Default Not the issue

Maybe I wasn't clear on what the problem really is. I'm not talking about riding along and all of a sudden hitting it and I get detonation. I am talking about as I am accelerating through the RPM range, when it hits 2000-2500, I get detonation. Regardless of gearing, regardless of speed. What I am looking for is advice on what to do with my Thundermax to resolve the issue, not lessons on how to ride a Harley, I have that part under control. Thanks

Old 08-29-2011, 10:41 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Sounds like you've got too much timing there.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:20 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,037 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytona Glider
Any suggestions other than don't jump on it that I can try with the Thundermax setup that could end this detonation issue? Thanks
Get the bike on a dyno to find out what is going on. Agree with 05Train, timing issue and backing off 1* at a time in the offending rpm range my solve the problem.

Last edited by djl; 08-31-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:08 PM
Daytona Glider
Cruiser

Thanks guys, that was the type feedback I was looking for. I found a shop here in Daytona that can Dyno it for $289.00, not sure if that is a good price or not but what is piece of mind worth anyway? Once again, thanks.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:45 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

All three of my bikes (two carbed and one EFI) ping if I try to accelerate in the RPM range of 2000 to 2500. Every Harley I have owned since my 1972 Sportster did it. I have no problem with pinging though, if I down shift when I want to accelerate. I can ride at steady speed in that RPM range with no pinging, but giving it gas, or going up hill, will make it ping. I just check my plugs to make sure it isn't running too lean. As long as I am not running lean, I just up the RPM by dwonshifting when I want to accelerate.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:15 PM
Bleachey
Tourer

Originally Posted by Daytona Glider
Maybe I wasn't clear on what the problem really is. I'm not talking about riding along and all of a sudden hitting it and I get detonation. I am talking about as I am accelerating through the RPM range, when it hits 2000-2500, I get detonation. Regardless of gearing, regardless of speed. What I am looking for is advice on what to do with my Thundermax to resolve the issue, not lessons on how to ride a Harley, I have that part under control. Thanks

Wow, are we a little testy? If you post on a forum for advice don't be an a$$ and criticize the advice you get. If you don't like the advice ignore it, but don't start being rude to people who are only trying to help.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:30 PM
slickrick_58
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the tuning manual there is a section that tells you how to drop the timing a couple of degrees for the initial transition from a nearly closed throttle position to more throttle. You can do it by RPM and throttle position. Spend some time in the tuning manual and you will see a whole new world open up to you on getting your engine to perform differently for certain situations. You can monitor the performance and make changes accordingly. For instance you can set your fuel mixture to 13.7:1 for 3k rpm and 25% throttle and then set it at 13.1:1 at WOT.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:40 PM
Cougar1959
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bleachey
Wow, are we a little testy? If you post on a forum for advice don't be an a$$ and criticize the advice you get. If you don't like the advice ignore it, but don't start being rude to people who are only trying to help.

Thanks for beating me to this. I would not have said it, in such a nice way.

Quick Reply: Detonation