Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detonation

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 05:24 PM
scasey
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed...want to know where that dyno shop is for that price!

Old 08-29-2011, 05:42 PM
Daytona Glider
Cruiser

Thanks again for all the good input. The tuner I found in Daytona on Ridgewood (US1) called Crank n Chrome.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:59 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

With all due respect, many of us believe you are accelerating from too low of an rpm, and shifting way to soon. IMO, your minimum RPM after a shift, while accelerating, should be no lower than 2500. If I read your posts correctly, you're shifting up at 2500 rpm. Check your dyno chart and see where your engine is making power, i.e., running efficiently. You will probably see it is substantially higher than 2000 - 2500 rpm.

You don't have to believe the forum members....try reading some of the technical articles written by Donny Peterson or Joe Minton about how the TC engines like higher rpms, such as

http://www.americanrider.com/output.cfm?id=1021915

"In the second example cranking pressure and ignition timing are the more likely causes. Too much compression can lead to detonation. To oversimplify a bit: as the compression pressure goes up, the air/fuel mixture burns faster and can explode (detonate). A fast-burning mixture at low piston speeds can create the high-pressure condition needed to initiate detonation. The common cure for this problem is to use an ignition that has a slower advance curve, one that fires the spark plugs later in the lower rpm range. Higher octane gasoline may also help. You may have to lower the compression ratio, an expensive matter. Most importantly, never heavily load your engine below 2,500 and better yet 3,000; instead downshift and use a lower throttle setting to accelerate. "

Old 08-29-2011, 06:18 PM
Daytona Glider
Cruiser

I guess I will try to explain it one more time, it has nothing to do with what RPM I am riding at etc. Use this example and maybe I make people understand what I am talking about.

I am sitting at a dead stop at a red light, the light turns green and I release the clutch and give the bike gas, If I do nothing other than accelerate, when I reach 2000 RPM's, the engine starts pinging. Can I make it any clearer what I am talking about. I am not talking about riding along in 6th gear doing 45 mph, I am talking about any time the bike hits 2000 RPM's under any circumstances it Pings. I apologize for confusing everyone and possibly offending anyone because I am incapable of making people understand the issue, I will take it to the Dyno guy and see if he understands what I am saying. Thanks guys.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:35 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Dude, I solved your problem in post #4. You have too much timing. Pull it back where you're getting detonation.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:49 AM
Holster Maker
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

OP, you said, "I still have the detonation right around the 2000-2500rpm range if I jump on it a little bit".

I thought just as others, you're too low on R's for JUMPING on it...so it made me wonder if you know you should shift down!
my 2 cents..bye bye
BTW, good luck with the problem.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:24 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I would go with '05Train's suggestion, He's ot a lot of experience with tuning. Whether its, your riding style, too much compression, octane, or your're just too large, retarding the timing in the narrow problem area should take care of it.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:42 AM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
Dude, I solved your problem in post #4. You have too much timing. Pull it back where you're getting detonation.
Exactly. It's not an issue of riding the bike wrong, it's a tuning problem. Remove timing until it doesn't detonate when you do that anymore, it's really as simple as that.

I wouldn't accept "they all do that if you give it heavy throttle from 2200 rpm" as an answer, that's a copout excuse from a lazy tuner who didn't calibrate it correctly.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:16 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

sounds like a job for lemon pledge to me. i thought that was the cure for all that ails a harley?

Old 08-30-2011, 08:54 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,066 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Glider,
Although it does sound like it could be detonating, the fact that it occurs at 2000 rpms in any gear has me thinking. If the noise comes on at 2000 and goes away as rpms increase, it could easily be something else.

Another forum member posted recently with a similar situation, even attached a video/audio. The noise sounded very much like detonation but it only occcured at 3000 rpms at cruise. The source was a busted front motor mount.

Sure, you should have timing checked but I wouldn't be surprised if, after a tune, the noise is still hanging around. Just a thought that something about the collective harmonics at 2000rpms brings two parts into contact??

Quick Reply: Detonation