Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Freedom Performance Poor Quality/Customer Service

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 02:22 PM
chuckw
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Freedom Performance Poor Quality/Customer Service

Just a heads up if you are in the market for new pipe for your ride.

I am saddened to have to report a very unsatisfactory customer service engagement with Freedom Performance Exhaust. I have a set of their chrome "Racing" true duals on my 2010 FLTRX. After a little over a year in service, all four welds on the right front center shield clamp failed. Soon after, all four of the forward clamp shield welds failed on the same shield (there are only three clamps per shield). Upon close inspection, the original tack welds were minimally acceptable from the manufacturer. If I re-weld the clamps to the shield, I would need to re-chrome the shield. $$$
I spoke with Scott in the Customer Service Department of Freedom Performance on a number of occasions. Sent in the obligatory photos and registered my displeasure with the performance of the shield clamps. In the end, my ONLY option was to purchase a new right side front shield for $400; or a new set, both shields for $450.
As a break-away company from another manufacturer, it would seems to me Freedom Performance needs to do it better and their products need to be of good quality and perform well. Don't get me wrong, Scott treated me courteously, but wouldn't stand behind their product. I am extremely dissatisfied the original clamp welds were of such poor quality and especially with their complete lack of interest in trying to make it right.
Needless to say, for a $900 exhaust system, I won't be ordering one replacement shield for $400 in the near future. Guess I'll ride without one so I get to share my story with others.

Bottom line, I DO NOT recommend Freedom Performance Exhaust Systems.
http://www.freedomperform.com

The following users liked this post:
Anthony Beamon (08-18-2023)
Old 08-29-2011, 02:40 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckw
Just a heads up if you are in the market for new pipe for your ride.

I am saddened to have to report a very unsatisfactory customer service engagement with Freedom Performance Exhaust. I have a set of their chrome "Racing" true duals on my 2010 FLTRX. After a little over a year in service, all four welds on the right front center shield clamp failed. Soon after, all four of the forward clamp shield welds failed on the same shield (there are only three clamps per shield). Upon close inspection, the original tack welds were minimally acceptable from the manufacturer. If I re-weld the clamps to the shield, I would need to re-chrome the shield. $$$
I spoke with Scott in the Customer Service Department of Freedom Performance on a number of occasions. Sent in the obligatory photos and registered my displeasure with the performance of the shield clamps. In the end, my ONLY option was to purchase a new right side front shield for $400; or a new set, both shields for $450.
As a break-away company from another manufacturer, it would seems to me Freedom Performance needs to do it better and their products need to be of good quality and perform well. Don't get me wrong, Scott treated me courteously, but wouldn't stand behind their product. I am extremely dissatisfied the original clamp welds were of such poor quality and especially with their complete lack of interest in trying to make it right.
Needless to say, for a $900 exhaust system, I won't be ordering one replacement shield for $400 in the near future. Guess I'll ride without one so I get to share my story with others.

Bottom line, I DO NOT recommend Freedom Performance Exhaust Systems.
http://www.freedomperform.com
You should forward your post to the owner and if he's really concerned about his company, he'll realize that not supporting a defective product could cost him a bundle.

This being said, can't you use JB Weld to cold weld the clamps to the inside of the heat shield?

Old 08-29-2011, 02:45 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

They don't seem to be real forth coming with warranty information on their website either. Never heard of them but thanks for the heads up. Sorry you had to be the one to get burned.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:47 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

One shield is $400 and both are $450, that sucks, seems like they would at least try to work with you, especially since you said you had already sent them the photos of the poor workmanship. I plan on getting a new exhaust next year, they were'nt on my list to start, and they definetly won't be there now.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:57 PM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn! Wish you would have posted this sooner. I just bought a like new used set off of a member on here. I guess if I have any problems I will write it off to fact that I got a helluva deal on them and then replace them with something different. Doesn't sound as if it would be worth my time to call them.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:58 PM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Who did they "break away" from to start this company anyway?

Old 08-29-2011, 09:20 PM
chuckw
6th Gear

I actually tried the JB weld idea earlier this afternoon. Figured it couldn't hurt. Broke right away on first ride. Plan now is to have my buddy re-weld them tomorrow. Not much cost to that. Will decide on whether I need to have them re-chromed after they are welded.

On Freedom Performance being a break away company, I'll let you do the research on that. I don't want to drag any innocent bystanders into this. I just want to let others know of Freedom Performance's lack of concern for customer service.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:01 AM
angelrod
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry about your bad experience . I guess. I got lucky with them .when my rear header crack open and discolored the heat shield .they replace it for free .

Old 08-30-2011, 08:21 AM
jamesw
Road Warrior
Received 675 Likes on 256 Posts

Hey, French,

Can you post the photos of the weld here?

Old 08-30-2011, 12:09 PM
chuckw
6th Gear

photos of broken welds on heat shield

Attached Thumbnails Freedom Performance Poor Quality/Customer Service-p1000421.jpg   Freedom Performance Poor Quality/Customer Service-p1000420.jpg  

Quick Reply: Freedom Performance Poor Quality/Customer Service