Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

abs wheel bearings ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 08:18 PM
blockzilla
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default abs wheel bearings ??

bought some custom HD Roadwinder chrome wheels off of a 2008 FLHRSE and plan on installing them on my 06' Street Glide... obviously my glide doesnt have ABS brakes but the Screamin eagle road king does .. So obviously I will need the axles and spacers for an 08 to install the wheel the easiest way since the new ones will have 25mm bearings and my old ones have 1" bearings ... but I have heard that the ABS wheel bearing or bearings are different than the non ABS bearings... so whats the cure can I run the ABS bearing thats in the wheel with the appropriate length spacer or must I remove the ABS bearing and install a non ABS bearing ???? also is the ABS setup on the front wheel only or both wheels ? I will be installing the 18" on the front and the 17" wheel on the rear ...

Old 09-04-2011, 09:32 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

I'm not sure what the set-up is for the rear wheel, but on the front you'll need to remove the left side bearing & replace with a non ABS bearing, the right side bearing is the same on both wheels. There isn't an appropriate spacer to use with the ABS bearing, on an ABS bike there is a thin spacer & the ABS sensor takes up the rest of the space. I think you may be able to use 1" bearings on the rear wheel as I don't think they changed the rear wheel spacing & offset, but I don't have any experience to tell you for sure, you'll have to do some measuring to be sure. The parts list I checked says the rear wheel is the same part# from 06 to 08, but do some checking to be sure, if so you should just need 1" bearings & 1" inner spacer from an 06.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:48 PM
sh4325
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

The difference between the ABS and non-Abs bearings is the ABS bearings have magnetic material in them. Other than that they are the same. So if you have a non-abs bike and buy some used wheels that have abs bearings in them they will work as long as the axle sizes are the same. Now the spacers may be different for a non-abs install due to the abs sensor that's required for the abs bikes.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:05 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

The ABS bearing is thicker to include the magnetic ring, all ABS bikes have 25mm axles, exception is the early cop bikes, so of course it will fit the axle. The question is how to make it work using readily available parts so as not to have to machine a special spacer, K.I.S.S.