Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pump Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 11:40 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,541 Likes on 3,793 Posts

Screen I was referring to was just a wire mesh screen. No there is none on the scavenge side but though they may be one one of the suction side for the intake for the pressure side.
Just how tight is the bore on the inner oil pump drive gear on the crank shaft. It has the flat for the drive but since you have to jig it with alignment pins to center it, I thought it was rather loose and the inner diameter floated on the crank

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:41 AM
Reaper22
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by grf000
You read this ever now and then. What amazes me is not one ever has a picture to show of one that is torn up. I can believe something getting in the oil tank or system and starving the pump but even then it would have to be totally blocked to destroy it. Half starved the cylinders and lifters would let you know you had a problem. I would get a second opinion of the price. Toyota dealer told my son his 89 Toyota 22 R needed a new engine for a $5500 installed price tag. We put new piston pin bushing in it (the problem), some gaskets, thru in rings and bearing shells for about $300. Not sure if the pump pressure side has a screen but I know the return side does not. However the gears are hard like bearings and run in a precision aluminum housing. All automobiles have similar systems with little more then a screen. The item 108 baffle asby probably has a coarse screen in it in your oil bag mounted under transmission.
This is what happens when harley cracks sprocket when pressing cam into it and then a sliver of tooth breaks off and makes it to the pump.12,000mi..

Old 09-08-2011, 09:59 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks for the picture, guess we are stealing St's post but he wanted a discussion. Back in your original post of your sprocket I had ask was the press fit what broke this and never saw an answer. Did Harley ever own up to it. I had a similar experience with a pressed on damper and the seal was leaking. It was cracked just like this and the crack had taken out seal. Is this sprocket normally a press on the cam? Is that the return side of the oil pump rotor? What did the pressure side lobe look like? Your photo makes the oil rotor look like aluminum but the ones I have dealt with are case harden (surface harden) cast steel that are hard as a cutting tool. However ingesting large hunks of metal is asking a lot. My guess why Harley did not put a screen on the intake and they are two for the scavenge side (sump and cam case) is there is not a lot of room and the plastic shoes could stop it up.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...an-planed.html

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-08-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:17 AM
BadBagger08
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is a pic from my blown pump this summer. I was able to get it back up and running for less than 275.00. I had to pick up a new pump and was able to find a used cam plate for 50.00

My pump failure was due to the end breaking off the C-clip and being sucked up the pump. This was caused by my own negligence having the washers mixed up on the cams. The cam with the C-clip was a little tight and when the engine got and cold the cam would expand and put even greater force on the clip till the ends finally failed and landed in the bottom of the cam chest till being sucked up the pump.

Attached Thumbnails Oil Pump Nightmare-img_0009.jpg  

Last edited by BadBagger08; 09-08-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:37 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by BadBagger08
Here is a pic from my blown pump this summer. I was able to get it back up and running for less than 275.00. I had to pick up a new pump and was able to find a used cam plate for 50.00

My pump failure was due to the end breaking off the C-clip and being sucked up the pump. This was caused by my own negligence having the washers mixed up on the cams. The cam with the C-clip was a little tight and when the engine got and cold the cam would expand and put even greater force on the clip till the ends finally failed and landed in the bottom of the cam chest till being sucked up the pump.
Just how tight is the fit on the inner rotors of the oil pump on the crank shaft drive? Would you describe it as loose? When you slide the oil pump on and align it before you put the temporary alignment pins in will it shake up and down .010-.015? I assume this alignment procedure is to allow for crank pin run out. However .003-.004 at chain sprocket would only be .002 or so at oil pump.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-08-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:33 PM
Reaper22
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the picture, guess we are stealing St's post but he wanted a discussion. Back in your original post of your sprocket I had ask was the press fit what broke this and never saw an answer. Did Harley ever own up to it. I had a similar experience with a pressed on damper and the seal was leaking. It was cracked just like this and the crack had taken out seal. Is this sprocket normally a press on the cam? Is that the return side of the oil pump rotor? What did the pressure side lobe look like? Your photo makes the oil rotor look like aluminum but the ones I have dealt with are case harden (surface harden) cast steel that are hard as a cutting tool. However ingesting large hunks of metal is asking a lot. My guess why Harley did not put a screen on the intake and they are two for the scavenge side (sump and cam case) is there is not a lot of room and the plastic shoes could stop it up.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...an-planed.html
That's ok Rip, It's all about oil pumps, But yes the sprocket is a press fit on cam so are the lobes, and rotor in pic is the suction side of pump and high side look good, Harley wont do **** about it, They want me to take bike to a dealer and spend hours on labor and still not do nuth'n, Just fixed it myself and move on. sure would like to find an engineer at harley to talk to instead of some gal that is not even mechanicly inclined... all the ipb stories and seals and stuff going wrong with these engines and transmissions, they are making AMF look good man..

Old 09-08-2011, 01:23 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Interesting but there appears to be screens in the Dyna oil pump.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:40 PM
BadBagger08
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just how tight is the fit on the inner rotors of the oil pump on the crank shaft drive? Would you describe it as loose? When you slide the oil pump on and align it before you put the temporary alignment pins in will it shake up and down .010-.015? I assume this alignment procedure is to allow for crank pin run out. However .003-.004 at chain sprocket would only be .002 or so at oil pump.
The pump gear that runs on the crank is a snug fit but should easily slide on and off the crank. Not much play at all.

If your having this fixed you should be upgrading to screamin eagle hydraulic cam chain tensioner and high-flow oil PumP upgrade Kit part # 25284-11 (page 81 SE catalog)
You also need to check your crank run out. I removed my oil filter and blew compressed air through the oil galleys. Changed oil and filter

Old 09-08-2011, 07:56 PM
jgwoz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 06 ultra is in shop for the exact problem going to cost me about 2k at my local indy shop. He is saving all the parts for me to look at maybe i can get some pics and post.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:09 AM
Struens
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone recommend a law firm that will take legal action against hd regarding my oil pump failure and the high price repair. Since there have been several, it appears hd would have warned us....................

Quick Reply: Oil Pump Nightmare