Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TOURING 2007 Harley Davidson - PSI rear shocks, comfort, performance ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 09:15 PM
endress1
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TOURING 2007 Harley Davidson - PSI rear shocks, comfort, performance ?

I am wondering if the rear shock pressure is a big part of maintaining a good comfortable ride, performance, and ride height ? I took off my tour pack, and ever since I have felt like I feel every bump in the road, and with the wife on the back its more work than enjoyment !! I havent added or let out any air in close to 2 yrs. Seems like it also sits a little higher in the rear, but when shes on it, it wont go down, or up, while NOT running. When shes off, I can push down on the rear, and it will stay down around an inch, then slowly rise back up. Am I crazy, or is this suppose to work this way ? Typical shocks go up/down with travel, but I am not keen on air-shocks, and if they have too much air, will it ride bad, or have too little and ride bad ?? Just seems weird that after I took off my tour pack, I am bouncing and disliking the same roads I have traveled for years... She wants to ride this weekend, but I cant go through it again. We rode 20 miles the other day, and it was like riding a hard tail and that rough ride effects the performance, I think !! Does anyone know what I am talking about ?? LOL - Thanks in advance !!! Take it easy.... Jonah

Old 09-21-2011, 10:32 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

When you removed the tour pack, you changed some dynamics a little. You need to test it to see what is a comfortable setting when solo, two up, and with the tour pack. I was told running solo, on my RK, to keep it about 25. And when two up, to pump it up to between 40 and 50. Two up, 50 is sweet (on my bike). Solo, I found that 30 is more comfortable than at 25 and soaked up the sharp bumps better.

You need to experiment a little to find what you like on your bike.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:32 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

The air in those shocks will make a very big difference in ride quality and handleing. If you have the little hand pump for the rear shocks I would throw it in the bag next time you go out. Drop the air pressure and then add some little by little as you ride and stop when it gets comfortable.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:09 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

After 2 years untouched I doubt there is ANY air in those shocks at all. Given their behavior one or both may be toast and adding that much air to the pre 09 shocks would probably blow the seals - newer ones take up to 60psi.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:43 AM
Harleybass
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by p51bombay
After 2 years untouched I doubt there is ANY air in those shocks at all. Given their behavior one or both may be toast and adding that much air to the pre 09 shocks would probably blow the seals - newer ones take up to 60psi.
I'll bet your right!

Old 09-22-2011, 09:53 AM
Harleybass
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by endress1
I am wondering if the rear shock pressure is a big part of maintaining a good comfortable ride, performance, and ride height ? I took off my tour pack, and ever since I have felt like I feel every bump in the road, and with the wife on the back its more work than enjoyment !! I havent added or let out any air in close to 2 yrs. Seems like it also sits a little higher in the rear, but when shes on it, it wont go down, or up, while NOT running. When shes off, I can push down on the rear, and it will stay down around an inch, then slowly rise back up. Am I crazy, or is this suppose to work this way ? Typical shocks go up/down with travel, but I am not keen on air-shocks, and if they have too much air, will it ride bad, or have too little and ride bad ?? Just seems weird that after I took off my tour pack, I am bouncing and disliking the same roads I have traveled for years... She wants to ride this weekend, but I cant go through it again. We rode 20 miles the other day, and it was like riding a hard tail and that rough ride effects the performance, I think !! Does anyone know what I am talking about ?? LOL - Thanks in advance !!! Take it easy.... Jonah
In the time it took to write this post, you could have checked the air pressure 10 times. I fail to understand why you would invest a couple of hours to remove the tour pak, and fail to invest 20 seconds, to check the air pressure in the shocks!

How bout your tires, have you checked them since 2007?

I'm not trying to sound too critical here, but sometimes you just got to put your hands on something and DO IT, instead of talking about it.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:15 AM
Ribitt
Tourer
Cool

07 max pressure is 44psi with a heavey load. worst case you should check shock perssure every 3 months worse case. should be checked monthly. a good pressure is about 25 -30 psi

Old 09-22-2011, 05:25 PM
endress1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Harleybass
In the time it took to write this post, you could have checked the air pressure 10 times. I fail to understand why you would invest a couple of hours to remove the tour pak, and fail to invest 20 seconds, to check the air pressure in the shocks!

How bout your tires, have you checked them since 2007?

I'm not trying to sound too critical here, but sometimes you just got to put your hands on something and DO IT, instead of talking about it.
I spend hours a day on my bike,and do everything possible to keep up with it. You must have the wrong impression my man. Im asking what people are running, and whats comfortable riding pressure ! In order to add/remove air, you need the pump. Most dont have them, and blow their seals trying to use a air-compressor. Anyways, thank you guys for the great input, and thank you to the guy who preaches about what I can, or cant do, in 20 seconds... Nice sidecar and 70's paint !

Old 09-22-2011, 05:27 PM
endress1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ribitt
07 max pressure is 44psi with a heavey load. worst case you should check shock perssure every 3 months worse case. should be checked monthly. a good pressure is about 25 -30 psi
thank you very much !! I will start off with that,and adjust accordingly. they usually do it for me at the dealer, when I take it for something. Been going elsewhere, to save a few bucks ! Might have to invest in "THE PUMP", that should come with all bikes from the factory !! Thanks again to everyone !!

Old 09-22-2011, 05:50 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by endress1
thank you very much !! I will start off with that,and adjust accordingly. they usually do it for me at the dealer, when I take it for something. Been going elsewhere, to save a few bucks ! Might have to invest in "THE PUMP", that should come with all bikes from the factory !! Thanks again to everyone !!

Don't spend $50.00 for the HD one. Get this one. Works great on my RK.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.htm...20Shock%20Pump

Quick Reply: TOURING 2007 Harley Davidson - PSI rear shocks, comfort, performance ?