Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What they DON'T tell you

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 05:47 PM
FLHXXHLF
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What they DON'T tell you

what they don't tell you about engine modifications. I'm going to share a hard learned lesson about engine modifications. Almost everyone wants more power. With that comes $$$. Everyone want's the most bang for the buck. But here's what no one tells you. Harley engines are balanced to precise speck to create minimum vibration . Your piston rods have been designed for the factory piston. The crank has been balanced to factory specks . The second you change something, your throwing the engine off balance. This creates vibration. I've heard more friends complain about vibrations after a engine build than I can count. First off the crank is not designed for high compression and when you try to cut corners without changing the crank, your looking for problems . The factory piston rods from 07 up are garbage. If you want more reliable power, buy another engine . In the long run, your way ahead of the game . I personally would like to see Harley build a 124 ci engine and end this modification issue all together. Then we would have adequate power, and we could move on to better things . So before you decide to modify that stock engine. Ask the right questions.
1. Will my crank handle 10:0 .1 compression ? Not long ! 2.Will changing the piston rods throw off balance ? YES ! 3.Will the factory piston rods hold up ? Time bomb ! 4.Will the factory heads hold up under high lift cams ? Not long ! 5.Will the factory valve guide seals hold up ? NO ! 6.Will one modification lead to another because of necessity ? YES ! 7. Will this effect the engine life ? YES ! 8. Will sending off the crank to be reworked and balanced stop vibration with your new build ? NO ! Its impossible. The factory crank cant compensate for the piston rods and extra weight . So be sure to ask the RIGHT questions and save yourself a ton of problems. There's no replacement for displacement. I know a lot of guys that bit the bullet and bought a S&S 124 and was completely happy. In the long run, you will save a fortune. If I had it to do all over again, I would of pulled my new engine out when I bought it, sold it and bought a S&S 124 and been done with it. Falling into the modification trap is just that. A TRAP ! And very costly $$$ .

Old 09-24-2011, 05:56 PM
Time2ride
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

^^ what he said. Pipes and and AC ok, anything much after that big headaches.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:05 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Amen brother, if even one person takes heed to this OP then your effort was worth it. Thanks for keeping it real.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:13 PM
streeter
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Must be a lot of time bombs out there!!!! lol Sorry to disagree, but a properly built engine package will run just fine and give lasting trouble free miles just like the stock time bomb, even with the crappy "piston rods" lol.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:15 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHXXHLF
what they don't tell you about engine modifications. I'm going to share a hard learned lesson about engine modifications. Almost everyone wants more power. With that comes $$$. Everyone want's the most bang for the buck. But here's what no one tells you. Harley engines are balanced to precise speck to create minimum vibration . Your piston rods have been designed for the factory piston. The crank has been balanced to factory specks . The second you change something, your throwing the engine off balance. This creates vibration. I've heard more friends complain about vibrations after a engine build than I can count. First off the crank is not designed for high compression and when you try to cut corners without changing the crank, your looking for problems . The factory piston rods from 07 up are garbage. If you want more reliable power, buy another engine . In the long run, your way ahead of the game . I personally would like to see Harley build a 124 ci engine and end this modification issue all together. Then we would have adequate power, and we could move on to better things . So before you decide to modify that stock engine. Ask the right questions.
1. Will my crank handle 10:0 .1 compression ? Not long ! 2.Will changing the piston rods throw off balance ? YES ! 3.Will the factory piston rods hold up ? Time bomb ! 4.Will the factory heads hold up under high lift cams ? Not long ! 5.Will the factory valve guide seals hold up ? NO ! 6.Will one modification lead to another because of necessity ? YES ! 7. Will this effect the engine life ? YES ! 8. Will sending off the crank to be reworked and balanced stop vibration with your new build ? NO ! Its impossible. The factory crank cant compensate for the piston rods and extra weight . So be sure to ask the RIGHT questions and save yourself a ton of problems. There's no replacement for displacement. I know a lot of guys that bit the bullet and bought a S&S 124 and was completely happy. In the long run, you will save a fortune. If I had it to do all over again, I would of pulled my new engine out when I bought it, sold it and bought a S&S 124 and been done with it. Falling into the modification trap is just that. A TRAP ! And very costly $$$ .
Well said! Good Advice. Wish I would have understood that when I was younger. Would have saved a ton of money by not modifying My bikes and cars, Which produced unsat. results most of the time. Took me awhile to find out that stock works best. Stock replacement parts is all I use nowadays.

Last edited by Dionicio; 09-24-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:16 PM
mdp
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are there any engine modifications worth while, other than stage 1, without affecting the balance of the engine?

Old 09-24-2011, 06:28 PM
Len
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FLHXXHLF
. . yeah, that !

Old 09-24-2011, 06:30 PM
moonie48
Advanced

What they don't tell you, that they are JUNK!!!!

Old 09-24-2011, 06:39 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

I tried buying an s&s 124 for my 09 streeglide. I was told they don't sell them for bikes after 06. Idk what have you heard?

Old 09-24-2011, 06:40 PM
MILO851
Cruiser

And at what point is enough power??? most want more than other guy it boils down to a pissing match. I need to out accelerate my buddys ect ect . never ending. wait till 2017 i think new epa regulations coming down. lots of changes coming!!!!

Quick Reply: What they DON'T tell you