Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 09:17 AM
Pop Yearwood
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Adjustment

Does anyone have a "at Home" way to adjust headlight. I have heard shine on door, etc from 20 feet, 32 ins, of ground etc,. I just need a few pointers. Thanks.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:23 AM
hopperop
Banned

Originally Posted by Pop Yearwood
Does anyone have a "at Home" way to adjust headlight. I have heard shine on door, etc from 20 feet, 32 ins, of ground etc,. I just need a few pointers. Thanks.

That's about right. It might be 36" (to the center of the beam). But if you want a little brighter light so you can be seen just angle it up a little more.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:33 AM
hawg50
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default aiming headlight

Originally Posted by hopperop
That's about right. It might be 36" (to the center of the beam). But if you want a little brighter light so you can be seen just angle it up a little more.

i do state inspections in north carolina and actually its 45 feet using a wall chart according to my local dmv.measure to the center of your headlight,it should be the same at the above mentioned 45 feet.as an example.if its 32 in at the headlight,it should be 32 in at the center of the beam on the wall.provided the floor is somewhat level.

Last edited by hawg50; 10-10-2011 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:36 AM
gmurdock
Tourer

I do mine this way. I marked a spot on my garage door the heigth of the center of my headlamp. Back bike up the 20' mark from garage door. Adjust headlamp to line up with mark. I adjust it just a little to the right of mark as to not blind oncoming traffic. I have an expantion joint in my driveway so I am lined up center both ways. X used to complain about the mark on driveway & garage door. No longer a problem there. JMO

Old 10-10-2011, 09:45 AM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Harley manual says to be 25 ft from wall, measure from floor to the center of the headlight and mark the wall that height. then sit on your bike ( if you ride two up, both sit on bike ). Have girlfriend use a Phillips screw driver and adjust headlight lowbeam and/or spotlamps 2" 1/2 inches down from the mark.......good luck.

Last edited by drukanfu; 10-10-2011 at 10:02 AM.
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by hopperop
That may be ok advice for daytime riding, but not really advisable for nightime riding.

The reason for aiming a little downward is so the beam isn't shining directly into the line-of-sight of oncoming traffic, while still providing you the light you need. Adjusting a touch to the right for the same reason is also not a bad idea.

You don't want someone coming at you blindly because your light is shining directly in their line-of-sight.

dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,003 Likes on 1,731 Posts

Varies according to model

1. Have the motorcycle standing on a level surface with tires correctly inflated about 25 feet from, and headed towards, a wall or screen upon which a horizontal line has been drawn at exactly the same height as the headlamp center. The motorcycle must be resting on both wheels and the front wheel must be in straight alignment.

NOTE: To properly adjust the headlamp it will be necessary to have someone of about the same weight as the rider seated on the motorcycle because the weight of the rider will compress the fork slightly.

2. Turn on light switch, set handlebar switch in high beam position, and check light beam for height and direction. The top of the main beam of light should register on the wall or screen even with, but no higher than, the horizontal line mentioned above.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:08 AM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gmurdock
I do mine this way. I marked a spot on my garage door the heigth of the center of my headlamp. Back bike up the 20' mark from garage door. Adjust headlamp to line up with mark. I adjust it just a little to the right of mark as to not blind oncoming traffic. I have an expantion joint in my driveway so I am lined up center both ways. X used to complain about the mark on driveway & garage door. No longer a problem there. JMO

I do mine in pretty much the same manner.

From riding the bike, I know which way it seems to need adjustment. I stand the bike upright about 20' from the garage door using a lift raised just enough to accomplish that. Make pencil lines on the garage door marking the current location of the center of the beam and adjust accordingly. Sometimes it takes a few test rides to see if I have it where I want it.

I like mine adjusted a little on the high side for better view while on low beam. If I have a few approaching vehicles "flashing" me, then I figure it's about right. If I have a lot of them "flash" me then I know I need to adjust it down some and maybe a little to the right. Like I said, it takes a few rides to dial it in, but it works.

Last edited by dirtracin23; 10-10-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:04 PM
Pop Yearwood
6th Gear

Thank each and every one of you for your response. This heads me in the right direction. And I agree, I'll probably have to adjust once back on the road, but so much help in having a very good starting point. Thanks again to each one of you and ride safe.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:02 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

i just get out on a flat road where there's little traffic and plenty of places to pull off. i then get out my phillips screwdriver and adjust to my liking. i did change over to the E-code headlight though and that does make a very noticeable improvement, but the aiming was done the same way as harley's stock headlamp.

Quick Reply: Headlight Adjustment