Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is the best way to replace the oil in your shocks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 05:08 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default This is the best way to replace the oil in your shocks!!!

If your looking for a better ride on you 2009-2012 touring model by replacing the stock 5w oil with 7w oil in your rear shocks, I think I have found an easy, inexpensive, and safe way to do so.

Some things you will need.

1. Bike jack or lift (both shocks will need to be removed at once)
2. Basic shop tools including 3/4" socket and wrench to remove shocks.
3. Fork oil level gauge kit http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/search/...0Level%20Gauge I have the Stockton one.
4. Hd service manual.
5. Plastic container or drain pan.
6. A way to hold one of the tow shocks upright. I used old brake rotors for this.
7. Fork oil http://www.belray.com/bel-ray-high-performance-fork-oil I used the 7w oil.
8. 1 hr

First jack up the bike, rear only, and remove both shocks. Then remove the black air lines that go to the shocks. Next remove the Air inlet tee, during removal of the air inlet tee it is not necessary to remove the bracket that secures the tee to the shock strut instead take the sandwich nut off the fitting and slide it out of the fitting.

Setup everything in this way on a cleared off table. One shock in the upright position with the compression fitting on the top (see picture #2) I used a stack of three old brake rotors to do this. The other shock horizontal position. Next hook up all air lines the way they were on the bike with the tee fitting (see picture #4).

Take your HD air tool and pump up the shocks like your going on a two up trip to 40 psi (picture #3 NEXT POST). Then remove the HD air tool and sit it aside.

With both shocks pumped up, you need both shocks to complete the air system so that it will hold air. Push down on the red compression fitting of the horizontal shock with the same hand you intend to hold the shock with (Picture #5 on this post and Picture #1 and #2 on next post). DO NOT REMOVE THE AIR LINE.

Pick up the shock and hold it over the drain pan or cup (Picture #4 on next post) and with the other hand pull the line out while holding the compression fitting in with you index finger on the hand that is holding the shock.

All 10oz of oil will come spewing out in about 10 seconds. You will get a oil mist for the first second or so followed by a solid column of oil. Do what you can to keep from making a mess.

DO the other shock the same way.

Then use the Fork oil level gauge to refill both shocks with 10oz each of oil. The metal part of the tube on the gauge will fit perfectly down inside the compression fitting (picture # 3 this post) also the rotor shock holder works great for this. Install everything back on the bike and go for a ride.

Attached Thumbnails This is the best way to replace the oil in your shocks!!!-setup.jpg   This is the best way to replace the oil in your shocks!!!-rotor-shock-holder.jpg   This is the best way to replace the oil in your shocks!!!-stockton-fork-oil-level-gauge.jpg   This is the best way to replace the oil in your shocks!!!-tee-fitting-with-lines-installed.jpg   This is the best way to replace the oil in your shocks!!!-compression-fitting-up-line-secure-.jpg  

Last edited by fireaxxe; 10-22-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:21 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master

Additional pictures showing Compression fitting up with line secure and depressed to remove the air line. Also pictures of hd gauge and oil collection.

This takes about one hour to do and will offer a much better ride with the stock 13" shocks. These shocks will have better dampening characteristics with a softer ride and will not bottom out when paired with 1" lowering blocks on a 2009-2012 RK with a 180lbs rider and moderate load the ride gets even better without the lowering blocks.

Attached Thumbnails This is the best way to replace the oil in your shocks!!!-compression-fitting-up-line-secure-.jpg   This is the best way to replace the oil in your shocks!!!-compression-fitting-down-line-can-be-removed-.jpg   This is the best way to replace the oil in your shocks!!!-40psi-on-hd-air-gauge.jpg   This is the best way to replace the oil in your shocks!!!-shock-upside-down-oil-into-cup.jpg  

Last edited by fireaxxe; 10-22-2011 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:38 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior

sounds quick and efficient.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:40 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the information fireaxxe, I plan to try this procedure.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:45 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
sounds quick and efficient.
This worked much better than I thought. I tried the "pumping" method and it took too long and was labor intensive. This is the ticket.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:46 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master

Originally Posted by dbell66253
Thanks for the information fireaxxe, I plan to try this procedure.
Your welcome

Old 10-22-2011, 07:01 PM
sg34
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the amount of oil the same for a SG?

Old 10-22-2011, 07:23 PM
twowheelz4life
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great info, thanks! Why did you choose 7w? Why not a heavier oil?

Old 10-22-2011, 07:37 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master

Originally Posted by sg34
Is the amount of oil the same for a SG?
I am not sure I think it would be less due to the 1" shorter design. In any event you could collect what you drain out of the shock and put the exact amount back in.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:39 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master

Originally Posted by twowheelz4life
Great info, thanks! Why did you choose 7w? Why not a heavier oil?
I was just experimenting and this is where I started. I figured 10w would be to stiff, not sure if this is true or not. I just split the difference between the two weights, being 5w and 10w, and it works well with my setup.

Quick Reply: This is the best way to replace the oil in your shocks!!!