Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

88 vs 95

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 03:51 AM
fizzy55
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 88 vs 95

ok warranty is up on my '05 EG and it's time to hop it up just a little. i'd appreciate some input from someone who has been there done that .thinking about SE heads and cams but i'm having a hard time justifying boring an eighth of an inch out of perfectly good cylinder jug,any problems (overheating , pinging) just wondering if anyone has tore into a 95in.motor with 30k mi or more and what if any abnormal wear in the cyls. i have already installed SE slip-ons,air cleaner and SERT. other than a gain of seven cu. in. i don't see a whole lot of benefit. mostly ride two up and rpm's very rarely over 5000. thanks ahead of time

Old 12-01-2006, 05:44 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: 88 vs 95

i love questions like this.....first off, kudo's man, do it and never look back....second, it is imperative to shop for a proven combo kit....third, there are two great engine kit sponsors on this forum, i run one and my bud PhilM has experience with the other, both ROCK....while i do not use HD parts and believe the aftermarket has better materials and tolerances, some do use the SE branded stuff with good results...youre probly like most of us and ride like grandpa but want some ***** every now and then without killin the bank or havin an ill-tempered street bike....if you chose the 95", boring the cylinders will do great bc they have been well seasoned and BigBoyz reputation is impecable...let them recommend the cam...i like a gear-drive...dont worry too much about exotic parts like fueling pumps and plates, your stock stuff is more than adequate....roller rockers are nice but really unnecessary for a semi-hot street build...i prefer stiff & lite valvetrain parts such as the Jims ProLite adjustable pushrods...there is free power in any weight savings in the reciprocal assembly(engine parts that move)...forged pistons are the only way to go bc they are stronger and last however cast or hyperutectics will do fine as well...most forgings have better design for oiling and skirt profile but require at least a short warm-up period before whackin it...my preference is the kit offered by Revolution Performance, it is a 98" with new jugs...they have a different design and no inner sleeves, less weight and longer life bc of better heat disappation...i would highly suggest calling either Big Boyz for thier 95" or Revolution Performance and also Steve @ www.GMRPerformance.com to explore the 98" before making your decision...a good kit will run about 2-3k and give you years of big grins...do the work yourself bc it is rewarding and not difficult at all...many on here absolutely love to help and will offer thier cell #'s....enjoy the process, enjoy the build, and you will enjoy riding your new bike

Old 12-01-2006, 05:58 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned

forgot this...a good tune is a must, either PCIII or SERT....true duals or a 2-1 and a high flow air cleaner

Old 12-01-2006, 08:08 AM
RKC2001
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice post and good advice. I bought and installed the 98" through GMR and enjoyed doing the work and the results. I only have about 3,000 miles but haven't had any problems. I had Steve at GMR do the heads, had the throttle body bored out by BCGerolomy(sp?) and installed a PCIIIusb for tuning. Also did gear cams.

Old 12-01-2006, 08:56 AM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Great replies from all...Bryan....what engine kit do you sponsor?

My input would be, if you have the funds, go for it. I can't tell you how fun a well tuned, well matched parts on a hopped up scooter can be! You may be heading down the a road of some expensive decisions, but the key is to outline those parts and labor on the front end, so you avoid surprises. I went primarily the HD route on my last bike, with SE Heads, 95", SE 6200 Ignition, Adjustable pushrods, then went aftermarket for Roller Rockers, Woods gear drive cams, Thunderheader exhaust. I ended up with the 100/105 bike I was going for and let me tell you....that was a FUN motorcycle to ride! I look back on it now and honestly, buying the parts, planning the build and then doing the install was a blast, but for now, I'm very happy with my 95", SE 203 cams on my SG. Maybe I'm just gettting old The only reason I didn't have my Heads ported by one of the several skilled porters with the Fatboy, was I didn't want to have to go to through the hassle of shipping the heads and having more downtime with the bike. Again, be sure what you want however and don't make sure you are getting what you want vs what someone else wants to build for you. Many have ended up with high horsepower bikes, (Heads ported for HP vs Torque) with no usable power, torque peaks way out of user range (usually wrong cam selection), too high of CR's for good every day street riding and pump gas. The net is study some reliable dyno charts, find the specs you want, good usable torque between 1800-3000, and have fun!

Old 12-01-2006, 09:41 AM
Crusing
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my 06 Road King Classic upgraded by the dealer from a Stage I to Stage II using the HD Big Bore Kit consisting of pistons, cylinders, 203 cams, and added the adjustable push rods. While I only had 5,000 miles on it at the time, the cylinders and pistons looked fine. The difference in performance is quite noticeable and enjoyable, but I am sure would be even better if I change out the HD SE catalytic mufflers which I know are restricting air flow. Since I have an extended warranty, I checked to see if this would affect it and the dealer assured me it would not. I also keep a running log of gas mile and there has not been any detectable change.

Old 12-01-2006, 11:14 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned

i do not sponsor a kit...i run the GMR stage II with Revolution cast heads and a 55mm HP TB...gear cams by GMR...my bike is a blast to ride...fuel mileage is about 40

Old 12-01-2006, 11:17 AM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About 40mpg...when it's idling!

Old 12-01-2006, 12:18 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bryan TTM

i would highly suggest calling either Big Boyz for thier 95" or Revolution Performance and also Steve @ www.GMRPerformance.com to explore the 98" before making your decision...
That was a great reply from Bryan. I totally agree with his recommendation(s).

Doing your homework (in advance!) can NOT be over emphasized. You really should call a couple shops and get some recommendations from folks that do this for a living. 99% of the time, all the shops wanna do is "sell you something" with little regard for what's "best" for your particular needs. You will be able to tell by talking to people who is sincere;y listening and trying to HELP you vs. someone simply trying get as much $$$ as they can.

Like has been posted in several other threads, I'd call several shops, like:

BigBoyz
Revolution Performance
GMR Performance
HeadQuarters
Performance Techniques
Bishops

THere are others too. Gather as much info as you can. Make notes during and after EACH call so you can refer back to it later w/o worry of confusing them.

Be sure to clearly communicate your key criteria so they can offer the best solution(s).
1) Riding Style ~ solo / 2up, city / country, short rides / day trips / touring
2) Performance goals ~ basic "good" strong motor w/ ***** available when ya need or want it / race light to light
3) Reliability needs ~ no pinging, easy starting, relatively quiet valve train
4) Fuel economy
5) Ballpark budget
6) anything else that is important to you

Old 12-01-2006, 01:00 PM
Gutman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's your bug Bounty? Didn't your Mom always tell ya if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it? All you gripe about is how somebodys bikes going to blow up or no run as good as yours. LIGHTEN UP MAN, HAVE A GOOD DAY.

Quick Reply: 88 vs 95