Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket radio with stock handlebar controls...

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 03:55 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Aftermarket radio with stock handlebar controls...

I found a product that just may work for you guys that want to replace your stock radio with a aftermarket radio. This will also work for those of us with Road Kings that have aftermarket fairings and want handlebar controls.

Here is a link http://www.pac-audio.com/SWI/

There are specific wiring instructions for All Harley Davidson models on this site.

This is a interface that links the stock HD handlebar radio controls to just about any aftermarket radio.

I have a Kenwood radio with a Dragonfly aftermarket fairing and after a few rides, fumbling around with the controls on the radio, have proven to be dangerous, and aggravating as I keep hitting the wrong buttons.

On my Road King I did not have radio controls so I ordered the switches and found out that I already have a space that is blocked off to add the switches. So the cost is not that bad $70 for the PAC interface and $120 for the radio control switches for both sides.

I havent taken the bars apart and added everything yet but will as soon as I get my parts. I will post comments and pics on here once I do.

So if your thinking you MUST have the handlebar radio controls like I do. This may be your answer.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:46 PM
Egras2k
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Subscribed!

Old 11-12-2011, 06:48 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

should work good luck

Old 11-13-2011, 05:37 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master

Just need to figure out where I want to locate my audio, and mode buttons. Anyone have any trouble operating the switches due to the stock locations. I am thinking I want to put both switches on the left side of the handlebar and just move my cruise switch to one of my aux switches on the headlight nacelle

Old 11-13-2011, 06:38 PM
serjayson
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Post pics of and after the install.

Old 12-25-2011, 01:28 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master

Done! And it works perfectly. I ended up going with the PTT and the Audio buttons and located them on the left side. I had to relocate my On/Off Cruise switch to the left hand side acc switch on the headlight nacelle. I have the after pics but did not get any during the installation was just too much going with soldering and wiring pics were the last thing on my mind. The Pac audio module was very easy to program to my radio and it works perfectly. If you are thinking about changing you HD radio to an aftermarket radio and want to keep your handlebar controls do it a huge plus. There are even devices out there that allow you to have the automatic volume control of the radio you have selected does not come with that option. The install was a 7 out of 10 as I had to remove my handlebars and install the radio buttons because I have a Road King with an aftermarket fairing. However you guys with SG and UC models the rating would be much lower. There are a ton of things I learned while doing this if you have any questions please feel free to post.

Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket radio with stock handlebar controls...-dsc01037.jpg   Aftermarket radio with stock handlebar controls...-dsc01034.jpg   Aftermarket radio with stock handlebar controls...-dsc01036.jpg   Aftermarket radio with stock handlebar controls...-dsc01032-1-.jpg  

Last edited by fireaxxe; 12-25-2011 at 01:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RAnderson7 (10-12-2021)
Old 04-16-2013, 12:26 PM
Bikergarrie
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Radio question

You said that you went with the PTT. What is that and where do I find it. I want to do what you did with adding handlebar controls for my aftermarket radio. I also have a Road King. Where did you find the handlebar control wires. Did you also need the HD radio harness.

What functions can you control from the hand controls.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:49 PM
drew4jan
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

PTT=Push To Talk. For use with intercom and CB with Ultra Classic and higher.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:53 PM
sublime_ac
Road Master

I had one of those and didn't like it so much. I prefer the hawg wired interface over it. Very clean and easy to install, works like a charm.

http://hawg-wired.com/product_info.p...th/51/pPath/95

Old 04-16-2013, 07:01 PM
Bikergarrie
Stage IV
Smile Hawg wired

I agree, I think I like the Hawg wired setup better. However, I have a road king and don't have the radio controls. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to get radio controls without having to rewire my whole bike?

I know I have to replace switch housings.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket radio with stock handlebar controls...