Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket radio with stock handlebar controls...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 11:29 AM
roadkillking
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road King radio controls

Can you tell me how to wire up the switches to the pac unit? And which unit you used? I am trying to do the same thing, dragonfly fairing, Sony stereo, thumb controls, swi (not sure which one yet) unit on a 2006 Road King. Did you have to solder on resistors? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted by fireaxxe
Done! And it works perfectly. I ended up going with the PTT and the Audio buttons and located them on the left side. I had to relocate my On/Off Cruise switch to the left hand side acc switch on the headlight nacelle. I have the after pics but did not get any during the installation was just too much going with soldering and wiring pics were the last thing on my mind. The Pac audio module was very easy to program to my radio and it works perfectly. If you are thinking about changing you HD radio to an aftermarket radio and want to keep your handlebar controls do it a huge plus. There are even devices out there that allow you to have the automatic volume control of the radio you have selected does not come with that option. The install was a 7 out of 10 as I had to remove my handlebars and install the radio buttons because I have a Road King with an aftermarket fairing. However you guys with SG and UC models the rating would be much lower. There are a ton of things I learned while doing this if you have any questions please feel free to post.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:26 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by roadkillking
Can you tell me how to wire up the switches to the pac unit? And which unit you used? I am trying to do the same thing, dragonfly fairing, Sony stereo, thumb controls, swi (not sure which one yet) unit on a 2006 Road King. Did you have to solder on resistors? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Its a pretty in depth project. The first thing I had to do was practice my soldering skills. The next thing you need to do is if your using the PAC audio converter you have to get a wiring diagram ( have a 2009 Touring HD manual ). The section in the manual that you will mainly be referring to is FIGURE B-32 2009 Basic Radio Interconnect Circuit. Between the wiring diagram and the instructions on the PAC audio website you can identify each wire and assign resistors to each wire and figure out where they go.

I have a Kenwood stereo and this is a one wire audio control setup. So I basically installed the Volume and Squelch/PTT buttons on the handle bars. This gave me Up, Down, Mute(or ATT) functions for the volume button. And for the Squelch/PTT, I had Track forward and backward, Radio channel up and down, and also mode select. Then I had to take all 8 wires from the two buttons and through a homemade circuit board, soldering, plugs, and the Pac Audio module, I connected this to the one wire audio control on the Kenwood.

I purchased the Volume and Squelch/PTT buttons for a 2009 Ultra Classic which were 6
$60 each. I learned later that all the buttons work the same they just have different color wiring. Each button, Volume, Mode, and Squelch/PTT, has three functions.

I used a Alpine 16 position wire plug with a male and female side for all my radio wiring to the fairing. This was the make shift part as I acquired this plug from an alpine amp that I was not using and simply cut the harness and used it for a plug. Its better to put the smaller male side on the fairing side as it is easier to push down into the small space in the headlight nacel located by the handlebar clamp bushings.

After I installed both buttons on the handlebars. I wired all eight audio control wires, plus my acc power and ground wires, to the female side of the 16 position of the plug. This plug is permanently installed on the bike, this way the fairing is still removable.

Everything else including the my homemade circuit board, The PAC audio module was installed inside the fairing after I wired everything up.

Like I said earlier Each button had 4 wires. Its it up to you how you want to mount them on your handlebars. I chose to put the Volume on the clutch side and the Squelch/ptt button on the throttle side. It is much easier to use a work bench/table with the handle bars off the bike. Once you wire the bars ( I have internal wired bars) you will have a total of 8 unassigned wires exiting from the base of the handle bars. This is where you will put your female side radio connector(For me its the Alpine 16 position plug).

Wiring the handlebars is the easy part as the only thing u need are the buttons and time. My bike had cruise control so the handlebar switch housings were exactly the same ones that were used for the 2009 Ultra classic. All I had to do was remove the plastic plugs and install the audio buttons. If you have an '06 I am thinking that you will need to purchase the handlebar switch housing for a 2009 Road King with cruise control Or Ultra classic same year.

From what I remember I had to combine four of the wires. If you are using the Squelch/PTT and VOLUME buttons they have four wires in common. The Sq/PTT button has a gray/green wire, The Volume button also had a gray/green wire these will be connected together. The Sq/PTT button also has a Brown/Black wire in common I also connected these together. I chose to do this connection at the base of the handlebars.

So now I had only 6 audio wires total coming from the handlebars that I wired to the female connector which i located behind the headlight on the throttle side. I kept the colors the same through the switch.

then the I simply went to Radio Shack and purchased a assortment of resistors and also a 10 place circut board. I also have a good soldering iron and asked a for the best solder for this project.

From the Volume button you will have Pink/White, Green/Blue, Gray/Green, Black/Brown. From the Sq/PTT buttons you will have Orange/Black, Violet/Black, Gray/Green, Black/Brown. Once you wire the common colored wires together you will have to wire six wires to the Circuit board and only 4 of these wires will need resistors.

The Gray/Green wire will need to be wired to a 150ohm resistor on the circuit board. The Green/Blue wire will need to be wired to a 47ohm resistor. The Brown/Black wire will need 1K ohm resistor. Finally the Violet/Black wire will need a 330ohm resistor. The other two wires, orange/black and pink/white wires can go directly to the PAC audio module.

I dont remember the PAC audio wire colors but the wiring diagram is pretty specific online you can also call them for programming information if you need. You will have the 4 wires from the circuit board plus the two other audio controls wires going to the PAC. There is a power wire plus a ground wire that need wiring. And the steering wheel audio control wire from the PAC module to the radio needs to be wired. Then u program the system.

So the things needed for the project include

HD Manual
Audio control module (there are other brands beside PAC) with instructions
Audio Buttons
Wiring
Soldering Iron/Solder/flux/heat shrink tubing
Circuit board/make sure to find a housing for this Radio Shack also has this
Resistors

I know It sounds complicated but its not just take your time, trust me its well worth it. Also read and go over everything before you start.

On a side note I actually would have rather installed a stock Harman Kardon HD radio with hand controls. I believe these radios are good units with the right amps and speakers.

Hope this helps

Old 03-20-2015, 10:11 PM
roadkillking
Stage III

Thank you for that. My bike also has cc so the housings I have will work. I purchased the Drag Specialties volume and selector switch kit part# 0616-0124 and the PAC SWI-RC unit. Ill put the Volume on the left and Audio on the right. Did the switches require a ground? if so where? Didn't catch that in your write up.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:58 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by roadkillking
Thank you for that. My bike also has cc so the housings I have will work. I purchased the Drag Specialties volume and selector switch kit part# 0616-0124 and the PAC SWI-RC unit. Ill put the Volume on the left and Audio on the right. Did the switches require a ground? if so where? Didn't catch that in your write up.
No ground needed all wires go to the PAC.

Old 07-16-2017, 04:45 PM
kempomark
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can't go wrong with...

Handlebar controls. This is the first bike I have had with them and just love them to death. When I upgrade from stock I'll go with Hogtunes or someone else that has the adapters that plug and play into my handlebars.

Old 09-03-2021, 09:25 AM
Marilyn Sunny Strauss
6th Gear
Default FLRT - aftermarket fairing - radio switches

I have bought new switches and the Harley adapter harness (Scoshe) 2014 and up for my 2017 FLRT. I need help!!

How do you get the signal from the hand controls to the module?

Old 09-03-2021, 09:30 AM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,075 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by Marilyn Sunny Strauss
I have bought new switches and the Harley adapter harness (Scoshe) 2014 and up for my 2017 FLRT. I need help!!

How do you get the signal from the hand controls to the module?
You need an adapter like this for your model year.

Amazon Amazon

Old 09-03-2021, 09:57 AM
Marilyn Sunny Strauss
6th Gear