Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio Instalation

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 11:55 AM
joromu
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Instalation

I have a 2007 Electra Glide Standard and would like to install a radio. I have never done anything like this and am looking for information on just how difficult it is to do. I am looking to install an aftermarket radio with everything necessary (radio, antenna, and whatever else is necessary to complete the installation). I want to get some idea of what it involves before I get into it. All information is appreciated.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:04 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

are you wanting to add handlebar controls for the radio?

Old 03-27-2013, 12:23 PM
cp1
Cruiser

Look up Biketronics, did this install a few years ago and wish I would have known about them then because the audio shop I purchased the parts from bought the basic mounting kit from them. Check them out online if you have any questions Give em a call very helpful. There are other companies but I have no experience with them. By the way your handlebar controls will work with their kit.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:22 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just remember that if you go with the "Aftermarket" radio, none of the Harley radio accessories will work.
The only thing that can be used is the handlebar controls. The companies that make radio kits for the Harley touring models use automotive radios that have controls for steering wheels. They have a module that enables the handlebar controls function.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:14 PM
joromu
Tourer

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
are you wanting to add handlebar controls for the radio?

Handlebar controls are alrady on the bars.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:56 PM
BadBagger08
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by joromu
Handlebar controls are alrady on the bars.
I think what he is trying top say if you want to retain the handle bar controls with the radio swap.

The only one that I have found to do this is http://www.biketronics.com/ The biketronics is supposed to be a straight fwd swap, plug and play. You would want to look into one of their Retroradio kits and then pick a radio all their kits utilize the Sony radio's it's going to cost between 350-400.00 to do the swap and then more for speakers and amp

But if you go to a aftermarket radio that's all you will retain is the handle bar controls all the other Harley HK radio options will be lost, like heads set, gps, and what ever other add on's to the Factory HK Radio you can do.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:36 AM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BadBagger08
I think what he is trying top say if you want to retain the handle bar controls with the radio swap.

The only one that I have found to do this is http://www.biketronics.com/ The biketronics is supposed to be a straight fwd swap, plug and play. You would want to look into one of their Retroradio kits and then pick a radio all their kits utilize the Sony radio's it's going to cost between 350-400.00 to do the swap and then more for speakers and amp

But if you go to a aftermarket radio that's all you will retain is the handle bar controls all the other Harley HK radio options will be lost, like heads set, gps, and what ever other add on's to the Factory HK Radio you can do.

Hope this helps.
The controls are only if the radio already has remote steering wheel controls. It does not add controls to any radio.
And the Biketronic module works with the SONY radios that Biketronics sells. Not just any radio.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:39 AM
Nitro NHRA
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ultra89Rider
The controls are only if the radio already has remote steering wheel controls. It does not add controls to any radio.
And the Biketronic module works with the SONY radios that Biketronics sells. Not just any radio.
Sony Harness: Makes our RetroRadio Module Kits Plug-n-Play with any Sony radio. Plugs directly into the back of any Sony radio, and then plugs into our RetroRadio Module Kits, eliminating the need to splice wires.

This product is not needed if you are purchasing a radio directly from Biketronics.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:51 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitro NHRA
Sony Harness: Makes our RetroRadio Module Kits Plug-n-Play with any Sony radio. Plugs directly into the back of any Sony radio, and then plugs into our RetroRadio Module Kits, eliminating the need to splice wires.

This product is not needed if you are purchasing a radio directly from Biketronics.
They're referring to the $14 Sony wiring harness here. The $200+ Biketronics or Hawg-Wired module is still required to maintain handlebar controls regardless. The Sony radios seem to be the most compatible with both devices although both will work fine with others like Kenwood, JVC, Alpine, Pioneer, etc. Just make sure if you buy something other than Sony that you contact whomever you're getting the control module from and ask about compatibility. Every feature with the exception of the search function on iPod (at least that I've found) on the Sony DSX-S310BTX works from the handlebars.

If you buy a Sony radio from somewhere else, then you will need the Sony wiring harness adapter to make it fully plug and play otherwise you will have to splice wires to the BT module.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:10 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Nitro NHRA

But the Handlebar controls can be used ONLY if the radio has remote controls. Not all Sony radios have them.