Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How To Change Brake Fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 08:37 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by thenewrage
Where can you buy the mity vacs?
http://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-MV8000.../dp/B00265M9SS

Old 12-21-2011, 10:02 AM
X Iron Butt
Supporter
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you have an air compressor get this one.
http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...der-92924.html With the right coupons you can get it for < $20.

This is absolutely a one man fluid changer. It worked so good and was so easy I changed the fluid in all three of my cars after I did my bike. The best part of the whole kit is the small bottle for filling the reservoir. Do the right front caliper first and then the left. Then do the rear. I sucked all the fluid out of the res and cleaned it with a cotton rag. Fill the small bottle with new brake fluid and close the valve. then filll the MC about half way with the small bottle (turn upside down and open valve) Hold tip below the level you want to fill the MC. Close valve and put rag under tip to catch drips. Break loose the bleeders with a six point socket and snug back before starting so you can open them easily with an open end wrench when you start to bleed. vac tank has a hook you can hook next to the reservoir on the handle bars. Attach the very long hose from the evac tank to the brake caliper usind supplied rubber fitting and open the bleeder. Turn small bottle upside down over master cyl and open the valve. When the fluid fills to the tip fluid stops coming out of the small bottle. Pull the trigger on the vac tank and watch the air bubbles coming up the tube to the tank hooked to the handle bars. As the fluid level in the master cyl lowers below the tip of the small bottle more fluid flows in. After no more bubbles close valve on refresh bottle and again use rag and set down. Snug the bleeder with open end wrench and pull the trigger on the vac tank to purge the line so no fluid comes out when you remove the line from the caliper ( I hold the trigger while I am removing the line). Then do the same on the left caliper. Then do the rear. Now you can torque all the bleeders and you are done. First time I used this it took 45 minutes to do the whole bike. Later I replaced my front MC and it took ten minutes to bleed. I have done three friends bikes in 15 minutes and no brake fluid is released on the calipers or the MC. DOT 4 removes paint so be sure to clean up any spills right away. Small spills with a damp cloth large should be flushed with water.
I have added brake fluid change to my 10K mile service. Fluid is $4 but you should get the larger quart bottle the first time. Throw away what ever you do not use or do your friends bike.
Have A Great Holiday

I have a two mighty vasc and use them for a bunch of other stuff but it does not work as easy as this because of the refill tank included in this kit and the large evac tank.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:07 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,791 Likes on 18,561 Posts

Originally Posted by drspencer
Can someone please give me a 'how-to' on changing brake fluid on a non-ABS bike?

Is this a one man job?

Is there a preferred type of brake fluid to use?

Thanks
One thing that you should be aware of is to ... BE SURE TO PROTECT ALL PAINTED PARTS .... brake fluid will ruin your paint in a heartbeat! Be very cautious that the fluid doesn't spray out, drip onto, or in any way come in contact with any painted surface or you're gonna be a real unhappy camper.