Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome Agitator - What's the REAL Answer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 09:37 PM
Shawrco
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Chrome Agitator - What's the REAL Answer?

Saw similar question as this on the forum, but can't find now... I've asked several H-D parts guys why the 18" Mirror Chrome Agitator isn't listed for front on 2009 FLHTC or FLHTCU; P&A catalog says fits Road King, Road Glide and Street Glide. Answers all over the map, from misprint in catalog or may interfere w/fairing or light bar (two different parts guys at same dealership), metalurgy/plating process/stresses from wt of Classic/Ultra.

Of course the contrast chrome and black ice Agitators are same wheel and list fitment as 2009 up touring.

Anybody know the authoritative answer??

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Old 12-29-2011, 10:22 PM
Badgerbob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't answer your question but I know that mine (the contrast) came on a CVO Streetglide and before it left the shop he wanted the chrome ones. Hence how I got mine so just order the one for a streetglide. Done deal sme axle bearing the works.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:33 PM
Shawrco
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Shawrco
Saw similar question as this on the forum, but can't find now... I've asked several H-D parts guys why the 18" Mirror Chrome Agitator isn't listed for front on 2009 FLHTC or FLHTCU; P&A catalog says fits Road King, Road Glide and Street Glide. Answers all over the map, from misprint in catalog or may interfere w/fairing or light bar (two different parts guys at same dealership), metalurgy/plating process/stresses from wt of Classic/Ultra.

Of course the contrast chrome and black ice Agitators are same wheel and list fitment as 2009 up touring.

Anybody know the authoritative answer??

Thanks and Happy New Year!
For anyone interested or mildly curious, I have now gotten the same response to my question re Chrome Agitator front wheel fitment from two H-D parts guys (who both took the time to contact H-D tech support rather than offer WAGs - thanks guys), so here's the story and I guess I'll have to stick to it:

"H-D tech support informed that during product development/testing the mirror chrome Agitator caused handling issues due to the added weight of the chrome..so their answer to the fitment question was this: "too much chrome". mirror chrome Agitators outweigh it's contrast counterpart just enough to raise a red flag in terms of handling.."

So, I'll have to find another 18" chrome wheel for the front of my 2009 EG Classic. Any for sale out there?

Old 01-05-2012, 08:09 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

That's funny as hell
I have the 19" chrome agitator rims on my 2009 SG. I have a tour pack and also the running lamps. Don't see why it wont work with your classic. Harley installed the mirrored chrome ones on my bike

Old 01-05-2012, 08:16 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 69 Posts

I'm pretty certain a stock chromed SG 18" out weighs a chrome agitator.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:06 PM
Shawrco
Cruiser

Originally Posted by hog95023
That's funny as hell
I have the 19" chrome agitator rims on my 2009 SG. I have a tour pack and also the running lamps. Don't see why it wont work with your classic. Harley installed the mirrored chrome ones on my bike
For 2009-up Road King, Road Glide, SG you are correct - the 19" chrome wheel can be used, but not for Classic/Ultra. Oddly, the chrome Agitator rear fitment is listed for 2009-up Touring. So if you have Classic/Ultra would require running two different wheels on front/rear.

Not saying it can't be done (chrome Agitator on front), just that P&A catalog and parts website don't list that wheel (either 18" or 19") for front of 2009 up EG Classic/Ultra for stated reason - supposedly affects handling.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:06 PM
piesik650
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's a sham. if it fits on a street glide it will fit on a ultra. I would run it.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:17 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,193 Likes on 2,457 Posts

i'm thinking that maybe it has to do with the 'one off' that the 2009 is. in 2008, the front wheel was a 16'', in 2010 it was 18'', 2009 was the only 17''. but the overall diameter of the tire between 16, 17, 18 and even the 19 inch cvo is almost exactly the same.

can't imagine that there is that much chrome on that wheel to make it heavier than a stock front wheel.......

Old 01-06-2012, 08:46 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,642 Likes on 4,632 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawrco
For anyone interested or mildly curious, I have now gotten the same response to my question re Chrome Agitator front wheel fitment from two H-D parts guys (who both took the time to contact H-D tech support rather than offer WAGs - thanks guys), so here's the story and I guess I'll have to stick to it:

"H-D tech support informed that during product development/testing the mirror chrome Agitator caused handling issues due to the added weight of the chrome..so their answer to the fitment question was this: "too much chrome". mirror chrome Agitators outweigh it's contrast counterpart just enough to raise a red flag in terms of handling.."

So, I'll have to find another 18" chrome wheel for the front of my 2009 EG Classic. Any for sale out there?
I have a bridge for sale, I have some beachfront property in Idaho for sale, I'll respect you in the morning. All good lines that are crap!! along with that one!! too much chrome? if it were the issue, do you think harley would take a chance for a lawsuit to let someone to put a wheel on their bike that admittedly has "too" much anything? I think not!! there is nothing wrong with putting that wheel on your bike. order one (set) for your bike and enjoy, just order for one of the others like the post above said

Old 01-06-2012, 09:01 AM
Mr Cujo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe,

Adding mass weight -- presuming it's balanced -- will only increase the gyroscopic effect of the wheel when rotating.
I'm no engineer, but to me this seems like it would increase straight line stability and tend to smooth out any small inconsistencies in high speed sweepers.
I would imagine any low speed maneuvers to be unaffected.

All that said, I can't imagine a layer of chrome, measured in thousandths of an inch, even if applied to the entire wheel (not just in spots like a contrast) could possibly add enough weight to make any significant difference from stock.
The wheel weights needed to balance the tire weigh more than the chrome...

Quick Reply: Chrome Agitator - What's the REAL Answer?