Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which HID kit??

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 10:07 PM
pearldrums2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which HID kit??

Just curious as to what HID kits people are using on their bikes?? I have a 2012 Street Glide. Which one would ya'll recommend???

Also are they hard to install???

Old 01-03-2012, 10:27 PM
c6z06
Intermediate

I have 2010 Street Glide and installed Custom Dynamics HID Kit, very easy and great people to work with. Here is the web site: http://www.customdynamics.com/hid_headlight_kits.htm

Look at the instructions PDF on the page. Very easy to install. I got the 6000k color. Looks good with the black bike.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:35 PM
pearldrums2
Cruiser

This may be a dumb question but do I have to get a new headlight (housing/lens) or does the bulb come out like changing a bulb in a car?? Never change a bulb on a bike yet.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:29 PM
CHILLLS
Road Captain

yes they come out like in a car.
im running HIDs in several vehicles i own & would recommend them to anyone.
now that being said you need to be smart about the whole HID thing.
you dont need 55 watt for driving on the street 35 watt is plenty.
proper adjustment is key so as not to blind on coming traffic, you cant just put them in & not adjust them.
do you plan on running the stock light housing that came with the bike?
do you want to keep the high beam feature?
stuff to think about.

im running the upgraded HARLEY-DAVIDSON dual element housing on my SG & im running a 35w 6K for the low beam & the 55w 6K for the high beam. all plug & play. had it on the bike for about 3000 to 4000 miles now & works perfect.
i dont have any pics of the upgradded headlight housing but you can find it in the catalog.
i get all my HIDs from DDM TUNING.
if you dont want that very slight blueish tint in your light then dont go with the 6K. i have the 5K in one of my trucks & even those have a very very slight blue to them. if i was to do it over (& the next time i place an order i will) i will put the 5K in the bike.

hope this helps, & feel free to ask me more specific questions if you have any.

Dave.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:35 PM
CHILLLS
Road Captain

one more thing, whose ever kit you go with you wold be better off getting the slim ballasts, they dont take up as much room behind the light in the fairing.
that & i have found the the slim ballasts don give you any trouble like not turning on sometimes light the bigger ones do.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:02 AM
Glen1978
Road Captain

DDM makes good products. Dont have any on my bike but do on my Polaris RZR......Ive had the ballasts underwater SEVERAL times.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:55 AM
pearldrums2
Cruiser

Now as far as the bulb type what bulb would a 2012 Street Glide have??? I ask only because I am not by the around the bike I am actually about 1300 miles from my bike and can't look to see.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:02 AM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Talk to Howard ( FastHarley member on here ) or go to www.Motorcyclemetal.com http://www.motorcyclemetal.com/gpage12.html

He sells a complete HID light kit that I personally have on my 2008 Roadglide and love. The lights are brighter and use less voltage then your current stock bulb. You will be advised and should do so to put your headlight switch either on your HD accessory switch or a sperate switch with its own realy to turn your lights on after you start your bike.

Doing this saves the HID system from a voltage drop during start up when igniting the light and you dont want to run your full voltage through the switch to power the HID system. The switch isnt designed for that much voltage. I attached a simple wiring diagram for the HID relay if you decide to install the HID kit

The kit he sells will not require you to modify anything in your headlight assembly other then running a separate wiring to power the ballast and ignitor for the HID bulb. The bulb fits into your stock housing and the stock headlight wiring harness is used only for the high/low beam switrch.

Howard stand behind his product and uses the slim ballast system

Attached Thumbnails Which HID kit??-relay.jpg  

Last edited by FLTR2008TRIKE; 01-04-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:17 AM
Twigg
Cruiser

I was looking at a kit from HID Direct for in my Roadglide thats low and hi HID. I've seen alot out there that are low HID only. Anyone familier with these? Says it uses a movable bulb.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:24 AM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by FLTR2008TRIKE
Talk to Howard ( FastHarley member on here ) or go to www.Motorcyclemetal.com http://www.motorcyclemetal.com/gpage12.html

He sells a complete HID light kit that I personally have on my 2008 Roadglide and love. The lights are brighter and use less voltage then your current stock bulb. You will be advised and should do so to put your headlight switch either on your HD accessory switch or a sperate switch with its own realy to turn your lights on after you start your bike.

Doing this saves the HID system from a voltage drop during start up when igniting the light and you dont want to run your full voltage through the switch to power the HID system. The switch isnt designed for that much voltage. I attached a simple wiring diagram for the HID relay if you decide to install the HID kit

The kit he sells will not require you to modify anything in your headlight assembly other then running a separate wiring to power the ballast and ignitor for the HID bulb. The bulb fits into your stock housing and the stock headlight wiring harness is used only for the high/low beam switrch.

Howard stand behind his product and uses the slim ballast system
Curious to know the cost for 2 light set up for a roadglide. Ive just read on another post that Howard had a motorcycle accident and will be out for a spell.

Quick Reply: Which HID kit??