Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Speakers Output from Stock HD Radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 08:19 PM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Speakers Output from Stock HD Radio

Hello all,

Just ran speaker wires to the rear using the rear speaker output from radio, no output?

I thought it should have constant output even w/o dealer's flash, the flash only make the front/rear fader functional, am I missing something here?

Here is what I did:

From the 35 pins connector, pin #1-RR+, pin #2-LR+, pin #24-RR-, pin #25-LR-. I did have pin #13 and 14 (CAN + and -) connected to the CVO amp, which is powering the rear speakers with signal from front speakers output. Front fairing speakers are powered by an amp on top of radio, signal from low level RCA added by IronCrossAudio.

Any ideas? Thanks

Old 01-26-2012, 09:44 PM
Lancemchn
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wondering the same thing. Added the overlay harness for the XM unit and it includes the rear outputs. I was thinking about doing speaker pods for the TP but didn't know if I could use them for the rear.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:07 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 3/4 life crisis
Hello all,

Just ran speaker wires to the rear using the rear speaker output from radio, no output?

I thought it should have constant output even w/o dealer's flash, the flash only make the front/rear fader functional, am I missing something here?

Here is what I did:

From the 35 pins connector, pin #1-RR+, pin #2-LR+, pin #24-RR-, pin #25-LR-. I did have pin #13 and 14 (CAN + and -) connected to the CVO amp, which is powering the rear speakers with signal from front speakers output. Front fairing speakers are powered by an amp on top of radio, signal from low level RCA added by IronCrossAudio.

Any ideas? Thanks
Unless the amp's rear speaker outputs are connected to the rear speakers, the rear speakers are not receiving an audio signal. By connecting the amp to the HK via the CAN + and -, the rear speakers' audio signal will need to come from the amp.

Honestly, I'm confused by the highlighted portion of your post where the rear speaker outputs from the HK are correctly identified, but you don't say to what they are connected--amp or tour pak speakers? And then you write that the rear speakers are powered by the amp "with signal from FRONT speakers output. (HUH???)

Just rewire so that the amp's rear speaker outputs are connected to the rear speakers and you'll be fine.

Carl

Old 01-26-2012, 10:11 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Lancemchn
Wondering the same thing. Added the overlay harness for the XM unit and it includes the rear outputs. I was thinking about doing speaker pods for the TP but didn't know if I could use them for the rear.
Sure, you can use the non-Ultra overlay harness you bought for your XM isntall for rear speakers.

Carl

Old 01-26-2012, 11:58 PM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Unless the amp's rear speaker outputs are connected to the rear speakers, the rear speakers are not receiving an audio signal. By connecting the amp to the HK via the CAN + and -, the rear speakers' audio signal will need to come from the amp.

Honestly, I'm confused by the highlighted portion of your post where the rear speaker outputs from the HK are correctly identified, but you don't say to what they are connected--amp or tour pak speakers? And then you write that the rear speakers are powered by the amp "with signal from FRONT speakers output. (HUH???)

Just rewire so that the amp's rear speaker outputs are connected to the rear speakers and you'll be fine.

Carl
Hi Carl,

Thank you for your reply. Sorry to confuse you.

Here is the current setup on my rear tourpak speakers: I took the front speakers wiring from the HK radio, wire them into the CVO amp to power the rear speakers, trying to switch the wiring so the CVO amp is getting signal from radio rear speakers instead. I figure this way, all I got to do is have the dealer flash the HK so I can fade.

But after I switch, I have no sound from rear speakers, so I wire in a outboard speaker directly to the rear speaker output from the radio (bypassing the amp), no sound from both L and R.

Hope this make sense to you. Thanks for your help.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:37 AM
Lancemchn
Road Master

Guess I should have added this too. I have a J&M amp powering the front speakers. Can I just hook up rears to the output of the UOL harness or do I need a 4 channell amp? Also, in order to get the fader to show up on the HK, do I need to go to the stealer or will it automatically show up once speakers are installed to the rear output? Kinda like how XM showed up on the screen as an option once I had it installed. Hope I don't need another amp, they ain't cheap, not for just a little rear fill.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:47 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure if a 3-way switch has to be mounted on a Street Glide when installing rear speakers. I know the 3-way switch will turn the rear speakers on and off on my Ultra Classic. In order for the fader to work and switch from front to rear speakers don't you need the 3-way switch?

Old 01-27-2012, 08:06 AM
LADNAR
Tourer

I had a dealer tell me that you won't get any output from your rear speaker jacks, unless you get the download. They said that the radio has to be told that there are rear speaker attached, for them to work at all.

Now, keep in mind, that's what a dealer told me.
Sometimes they're right, sometimes they're left...

Old 01-27-2012, 08:17 AM
Dr. Tiki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 572 Likes on 216 Posts

I also wonder if the IronCross mod disables output to the wiring harness for all channels. I have that mod on my radio as well but I have low level outs for front and rear (rear goes to lower fairing speakers).

Old 01-27-2012, 09:11 AM
Lancemchn
Road Master

Originally Posted by LADNAR
I had a dealer tell me that you won't get any output from your rear speaker jacks, unless you get the download. They said that the radio has to be told that there are rear speaker attached, for them to work at all.

Now, keep in mind, that's what a dealer told me.
Sometimes they're right, sometimes they're left...
I wonder if you can access that from the diagnostic menu or download it with a disc? I'll have to check into that. I HATE giving the stealer "flat rate" money!

Quick Reply: Rear Speakers Output from Stock HD Radio