Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ceramic Coating or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 11:46 PM
olsenjb
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ceramic Coating or Not?

I have a 2011 RKC. I live in Utah and rarely ride in very hot weather...maybe 90 degrees at the most but rarely is it that hot. I'm wanting to replace my headpipe to get rid of the cat and reduce the heat. I can't decide whether I really need a ceramic coated headpipe or not. What do folks here think?

Thanks for the replies....I guess the better question is if anyone has ran both and if they felt any heat difference. Just getting rid of the cat is going to reduce heat a lot whether it's a ceramic coated or just a stainless headpipe.

Last edited by olsenjb; 02-16-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:21 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,365 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Ceramic coating is added to a headpipe for performance reasons, any affect on comfort is really a side benefit. Ceramic coating helps to retain heat inside the pipe which improves exhaust scavenging.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:16 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

The question I have about ceramic coating is your coating the inside correct? that's going to narrow the ID restricting the inside of the pipe to a narrower dimension right? Isn't that supposed to be a bad thing having a narrower ID pipe? I would probably be more interested in wrapping the outside of the pipe instead of insulating the inside but that's just me....

Old 02-16-2012, 05:17 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,365 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Originally Posted by TUCCI
The question I have about ceramic coating is your coating the inside correct? that's going to narrow the ID restricting the inside of the pipe to a narrower dimension right? Isn't that supposed to be a bad thing having a narrower ID pipe? I would probably be more interested in wrapping the outside of the pipe instead of insulating the inside but that's just me....
Ceramic coatings are pretty thin, I would think it would have a negligible impact on diameter.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:24 AM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in FL and have the jackpot non-ceramic headpipes and they work just fine. I am sure there is some benefit to the heat with ceramic ones, but I am very happy with the ones that I have.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:31 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Ceramic coating is added to a headpipe for performance reasons, any affect on comfort is really a side benefit. Ceramic coating helps to retain heat inside the pipe which improves exhaust scavenging.
On a Harley motor, you'll notice no performance gain from ceramic coating. The pipe will stay a bit cooler and it'll be more weather resistant.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:47 AM
Ben E
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

trying to make the same decision. Jamie at FM told me that it runs a little cooler...that's it. No performance gain, sound change. "Not really much difference." I am going with Stainless.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:49 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a set of headers ceramic coated on a V8 engine re-build. I did not realize any performance improvement but there was a very noticeable reduction of heat radiating from the exhaust headers.

If I were going to replace or remove the stock exhaust headers on my '09 Ultra Classic, I would definately have them coated.

Last edited by shortride; 02-16-2012 at 06:53 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:46 AM
ks6c
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '10 Limited and had the header ceramic coated by Jet-Hot. Even though I don't live in a terribly hot area (just south of Denver), the ceramic coating has made an incredible difference in comfort - in traffic, at stop lights, etc. Can't say that I notice it much when cruising on the Interstate, however.

Well worth the money IMHO, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it or to do it again on the next bike!

Old 02-16-2012, 09:50 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

I ceramic coated my pipes inside and out , it definately feels cooler on my leg , if I had to do it again I'd just buy the Dragulas from Frank as they come coated

Quick Reply: Ceramic Coating or Not?