Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ok sportster me im looking at a FLHTP 2011

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 08:05 PM
chrome?
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok sportster me im looking at a FLHTP 2011

yes i own a Nightster but have love the cop bikes, im readind other sites saying of heating problems? or parade mode... secondly i love to ride can care less about a radio i cant hear with my helmet on.....but am reading of different wiring harness? true or not? I found a 2011 with 3,000 miles for $14000 good or bad? thanks in advance for the feed back or info and what to look for or watch out for.....I just bought the sportster late last year and ride all year long so far here in Illinois I put 4000 miles on that bike in less than 2 months

Old 02-18-2012, 08:26 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,019 Likes on 1,739 Posts
Old 02-18-2012, 08:33 PM
SunCruise
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Preview. Edit. Post.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:46 PM
Ron "Gunner" Retzlaff
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SunCruise
Preview. Edit. Post.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:45 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 316 Likes on 181 Posts

Go for it.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:07 AM
stevevfd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They come standard with an oil cooler. But they still suffer from EPA restrictions like any other Harley. Nothing a new exhaust, air cleaner, fuel management can't fix. They have a different wiring harness for the bars, so if you do add a radio, it'll be a lot of work to make it work with the handlebar controls.

$14,000 is good, but it depends what you want the bike for. If you're expecting to take it and buy the parts to convert it to an Ultra or Street Glide clone, you'd be better off buying a 2009 Ultra by the time you spend all that time and labor.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:18 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Look at the bottoms of the engine guard and saddlebag guards along with the edges of the footboards and their brackets where they mount to the frame. Look for scraping signs. If the bike was used a lot for training then it may look like someone took a grinder to it. Otherwise they are great bikes. Our department has an 09 Police Classic and its awesome to ride.

If you do get it, pull that parade fan off the left side of the engine and toss it. You won't need it unless you plan to sit for long periods in hot weather with the engine idling. What it will do, regardless, is fry the hell out of your right leg by blowing hot air through those hot cylinders. Even with the high police motor boots I wear my leg still feels like its on fire with that damn fan.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:32 AM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

The heat is the same as any other 103". The wiring harnesses in the bars and the main one under the fairing are different. Wiring cruise control can be a pain if you don't get the civilian harness under the fairing from what I hear. A tour pak is harder to mount because the cop bags open differently and the tour pak has to be mounted about an inch higher.

Basically, IMHO, is you're looking for a Street Glide or Road King, an FLHTP or FLHP, respectively, can be a GREAT deal. If your wanting an Ultra, you're in for a lot of work, but it can be done and lots of guys are happy going this route.

Google retired police bikes . com

I wouldn't trade my FLHTP for nuthin'.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:57 AM
MegaFauna
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless there's any surprises condition wise on that bike, that's a hell of a lot of bike for 14k. traded my Sportster in this winter for my FLHP, havent looked back. Also, I seem to be in the minority when it comes to the air seat. That thing is so comfy you can ride all day, but then again i'm 6'4...

Old 02-19-2012, 11:49 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,019 Likes on 1,739 Posts

I took the liberty of cleaning up your title and your post so it is a little more "readable"

I have a sportster, but looking at a 2011 FLHTP

I currently own a Nightster, but I love the cop bikes. I'm reading on other sites saying of heating problems? I hear about "parade mode." Secondly, I love to ride and could care less about a radio, I cant hear with my helmet on anyway. I am reading of different wiring harness on the cop bikes. True or not? I found a 2011 with 3,000 miles for $14000. Is that good or bad? Thanks in advance for the feedback or info and what to look for or watch out for. I just bought the sportster late last year and have ridden all year long so far here in Illinois. I put 4000 miles on that bike in less than 2 months.

To answer some of your inquiries..............The big twins will throw off more heat than you are used to on your sporty. Some more than others due to exhaust routing, EPA restrictions, etc. There are a few things that you can do such as making some changes to let the bike "breathe" better like changing pipes, air cleaner, getting a tuner, etc. There are also products like heat shields from HD, rj'soriginals and captainitch here on the forum. As for a different wiring harness, you are referring to interconnect harness and is it different from a regular fairing bike with a radio and that of a cop bike without. The answer is yes. So are the handlebar switches different. That all can be dealt with and changed over as well. That price sounds like a fair price to me.

Quick Reply: ok sportster me im looking at a FLHTP 2011