Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Custom Paint Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 07:38 PM
streetg131
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tell em you don't wanna lose any downtime for a screwed up brand new fender. Maybe they can send a new painted fender.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:23 PM
rmc115
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by streetg131
Tell em you don't wanna lose any downtime for a screwed up brand new fender. Maybe they can send a new painted fender.
On my set there was a tag stating they could repaint pieces but no replacement metal. Mike

Old 03-11-2012, 08:59 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

HD should take care of that with no problem. It does look like another poster commented on that it is a case of a fender getting through without the proper prep work.

I went on the York factory tour last year where all the touring models are built. Harley Davidson takes great pride in their paint work with the prep and multiple coats of paint. I would be very surprised if you had a problem getting this fixed.

I know it sucks to be that one in a thousand that slips through but it happens.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:48 PM
HeHateMe
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah it reminds me of a $300 paint job from a crap body shop. Pretty depressing.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:30 PM
Fred Garvin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rmc115
On my set there was a tag stating they could repaint pieces but no replacement metal. Mike
Was told the same thing. They don't keep these on hand and are painted as ordered. I asked the same on my fender, just send me new one and send the bad one back....NOPE! Because they are limited and not done in house they are sent out to custom painters they don't keep a supply. I even tried to get touch up paint and told not available because paint is mixed/matched when they paint the metal.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:39 AM
HeHateMe
Road Captain

Hopefully they will warranty it and give me my bike back until the fender gets in.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:49 AM
tubeman426
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a fender that had to go back once, the dealer gave me a loaner fender while mine was repaired. I had to settle for a plain black one while mine was fixed. What more could I ask for, it kept me riding

Old 03-12-2012, 01:49 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a little advice for you. I had a new chevy truck back in the early 90's that had a paint peeling problem like this.
I took it to the dealer and they tried to tell me it was rock chips or road debris. I asked the service manager to explain to me how you get rock chips on a tailgate?? Driving backwards @ 70 mph???
They tried and tried to not warranty the paint. Then it hit me! I remembered I had a roll of wide masking tape in the truck. I took the roll of tape and went back to get the manager again.
I said, Watch this! I put a piece of tape on the tailgate and ripped it back off, along with a 2" by 2" patch of paint! I took another piece and put it on the truck bed, same thing, big patch of paint came off!
So I go to the hood and they guy said Ok, Ok, you definitely have some kind of problem here.
Really?? No Chit Einstein!

Turns out there was a whole batch of vehicles that had bad primer. The paint just did not stick. The main color affected was white. Anyone remember seeing 90's whit chevy trucks with huge patches of paint missing on the hood and roof?

If you have the *****, take a piece of masking tape and place it near the area that is pealing. Rip it off and see if the paint is adhering to the primer. If not then take it to Harley and show them the "tape Test" and watch them squirm trying to get you to stop so no one else see's it!

Better to get it fixed now than wait too long and have to really fight to get it corrected!

Old 03-12-2012, 01:56 PM
HeHateMe
Road Captain

So I show up, and the first thing they do is ask me what I hit, we need to see if Harley is going to cover it.... Etc....

Really sucks considering how much money I spend there. Its as plain as day, its a shitty paint job. He told me it could be from a rock. Damn, the bike has 300 miles on it and if it cant hold up to a measly rock chip then i got the wrong bike.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:18 PM
1CdnHD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is an obvious adhesion problem from poor prep or application error, nothing else, not a rock chip, or a 'hit'.

Quick Reply: Harley Custom Paint Problems