Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - New H-D LED turn signals not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 07:21 PM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 184 Posts
Default Help - New H-D LED turn signals not working

So I installed LED turn signals, front & rear, on my FLHTCU.
Front 68411-10 & Rear 68128-10.

The only other wiring mod is the H-D run/turn/brake plug in adapter for the Tourpak main lights. This was installed last year with no hiccups.

Yesterday I installed the rear LED lights. Everything went well with no problems. Tested OK. Run/turn/brake on the rear - all is good. The Tourpak signal & the new LED signal alternate (top to bottom) when activated - not certain if this is by design, but that's how they work.

Today I installed the front LED lights. Turn on the ignition & front LED's light up. Try signals - they work. Walk around to the back of the bike - new LED's are NOT LIT UP!! WTF? All the other rear lights function. Main tail light/brake light OK. Tourpak lights OK. Try signals - front work and Tourpak works.

Unplugged left front LED & plugged in OEM unit. Front lit up and so did the rear LED. Repeated this for right side and that rear LED works. Unplugged the OEM units & plugged the new LED units in - rear no worky.

I opened up the rear tail/brake light & rechecked all my connections as per the instructions and everything appears correct.

There is no load equalizer required as per H-D. Why would adding LED to the front disable the rear LED's?

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:57 PM
Nute
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If I'm not mistaken you don't use the run/brake/signal adaptor with the HD LED's. Try removing it and then try your signals etc. I'm pretty sure they will work the way you want once you do that.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:05 PM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Nute
If I'm not mistaken you don't use the run/brake/signal adaptor with the HD LED's. Try removing it and then try your signals etc. I'm pretty sure they will work the way you want once you do that.
The run/turn/brake feature is built into the H-D rear LED's. I added the run/tur/brake adapter to the Tourpak lights. Tomorrow I will disconnect that to see if it makes a difference.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:41 PM
jimclaypool
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by White Ice
The run/turn/brake feature is built into the H-D rear LED's. I added the run/tur/brake adapter to the Tourpak lights. Tomorrow I will disconnect that to see if it makes a difference.
Did this resolve your issue? Curious as I am getting ready to do the same install of turn signal and tourpak lights.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:29 PM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by jimclaypool
Did this resolve your issue? Curious as I am getting ready to do the same install of turn signal and tourpak lights.
I re-checked my wiring and found my mistake. When I got the magnifying glass out I could actually read the miniscule numbers on the new connectors. Putting the violet wires into the #2 slot, when it should go in the #1 slot really buggered things up.

So to answer your question, the tourpak light kit had no effect on my screw-up.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:21 AM
bpav16
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by White Ice
I re-checked my wiring and found my mistake. When I got the magnifying glass out I could actually read the miniscule numbers on the new connectors. Putting the violet wires into the #2 slot, when it should go in the #1 slot really buggered things up.

So to answer your question, the tourpak light kit had no effect on my screw-up.
I am having the same problem on my 09 road king...I wired the front turn signals the same as the OEM connections...1-black 2-voilet 3-blue 4-blue 5-voilet 6-black
can you help me on this?

Old 12-31-2012, 02:40 PM
Bushy
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

thanks to this I as able to trouble shoot my signal issue, Thanks to HD for that sturdy Chinese crap the pin in the signal block was bent ergo not seating in connector... unbented with needle nose and tiny screwdriver... seems to be working.... just wish signal was brighter.. thanks again and Happy New Year!!

Old 12-31-2012, 02:59 PM
jimclaypool
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bushy
just wish signal was brighter..
Interesting, I think my HD LED front and rear signals are very bright. What isn't very bright on mine are the front amber LEDs in just the running light mode. When I turn the signals on they appear very bright then.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:11 PM
Bushy
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

check the block for a solid connection//// the MOCO is not known for sturdy connections

Old 02-21-2013, 07:05 PM
Baril
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a similar issue. I purchased a set of HD smoked LED rear turn signals and installed them yesterday. The right one works pefectly, but the left will not come on at all. At first the left side was dim, but then quickly cut out completely. I plugged the left signal into the right signal plug, and it still didn't work. However, when I plugged the right side light into the left signal plug, it worked perfectly. Plus, I never had any issues with the normal incandescent bulbs. I hooked up the Kuryakyn Load Equalizer which helped with the lower power draw on the right side. My thought is that the left side signal is bad right out of the box. Any advice from anyone with a similar issue, or should I just return them?

Quick Reply: Help - New H-D LED turn signals not working