Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my EGC

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 06:29 PM
cike
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Got my EGC

Last Saturday I picked up a 2012 EGC.
It has 11k miles, still on original tires. I was surprised to see that there was still tread on the rear tire, and the front looks very well off.
here are some of my thoughts on it after 200 miles
I like to take trips and have wanted a 6spd for a several years. I am very impressed with the 6sd, and love the fact that it tells you when you are in 6th gear. I have had 2 road kings with detachable fairings (set up like SG), but it is really nice to finely have stereo controls on the handlebars. I am going to really miss having my USB port on my old stereo. I had all my music on a USB stick and could just plug it into the stereo and I was all set. I can use a MP3 player on this bike but have the cord to deal with. The clock is also very hard to read when it is dark out (on the way to work) I haven't looked in the manual yet, but hopefully there is a way to adjust that red light background so that the screen is easier to read.

I think the cruise will be really nice on a long trip. Can't wait check that out.

So far I am not real crazy about the low handlebars. I am going to keep them on for a while to see if they grow on me. I have a feeling that I will be changing them out to a set of 10" Paul Yaffe bars that I have (TBW bars) I have never dealt with TBW before. I believe that the wires will need to be extended if I change bars. Is this hard to do? I have read horror stories online about people having problems after trying to change bars. LA Choppers makes a kit for about $200 that has cables and wire extensions in it. Is it ok to use? better ideas?

I also like the fact that this bike has an oil cooler. (Way to go HD)
What I didn't like was that when I went to hook up my connector to the battery for my heated gear. was that you have to have a full tool kit just to get to the battery. Then when I changed the oil, I couldn't believe that they took an oil filter that was a pain to get to on the 88 motors, and made it even worse with layout of the oil cooler. (Come on HD, these are 2 of the most used maintenance areas. Make them easy access) I did replace the filter with a K&N so on the next oil change hopefully I can use the welded on nut to remove the oil filter instead of the oil filter wrench. I ended up taking the voltage regulator off to be able to get the wrench on the filter.

The ride is nice and smooth. Can't wait until I get comfortable enough on it to see how it does in the curves. So far it seems to handle pretty well though. Throwing that big rear tire into a curve makes me a little nervous for some reason.

The bike did have a Klock Werks windshield on it when I got it. I took it off and replaced it with a Long Rides shield that I had and like it much better. (just personal preference) If anyone is interested in the KW windshield send me an offer. I think it is 8" or 10" and is in VGC other than some bugs.

I was going to put a quick detach on the rear luggage, but after seeing how easy this thing is to use compared to the saddle bags. I may just leave it on.

So, far I am very happy with the new bike and am looking forward to spending some time together and chasing some wind.
I still have my 06, and just put it up for sale. I hope it sells soon, but on the other hand it would be a great second bike if it doesn't sell.

It is all stock other than the Sundowner seat (came with rider backrest too)
I love the torque of the 103. It has more power than my 06RK even with the S&S cams. The power feels really nice and smooth, though it does seem like there is a slight delay in the throttle when first taking off. (maybe 1/2 -1 sec)
Thought that I might just leave the stock mufflers on it, but after riding it around some I need a little more noise. I ordered a set of Full Boar slip-ons with 2" baffles. The cat is still in the head pipe, so I'm hoping that the 2" will give me a good sound without being to loud. I'm not sure if I will decat the headpipe later or not. Figure I will wait until summer and see what the heat is like coming off of the motor and make up my mind then. So far heat has not been an issue at all, but 60° is also the warmest it has been.

Last edited by cike; 03-19-2016 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:53 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Congrats, nice bike.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:45 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,308 Likes on 1,907 Posts

Nice looking bike, congratulations.
On your next oil change consider a K&N filter. The "nut" on the end takes a 11/16 socket and is so nice. Otherwise the Harley filter wrench makes the stock filter easy too.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:06 PM
IKnowNot
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

Good luck with it.

You do know a lot of mp3s fit on a CD.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:48 PM
RevBlk
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 62 Posts

Nice ride. Congrats!

Old 03-20-2016, 02:22 AM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by IKnowNot
Good luck with it.

What's a CD????

Old 03-20-2016, 03:10 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Congrats! Nice color too! JR

Old 03-20-2016, 06:55 PM
cike
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by IKnowNot
Good luck with it.

I'm not very good with computers. I have my music saved in a tab on my desk top and tried 2 times today to burn it onto a disk. I had no luck and now i'm out of blank discs to try. I like the idea of putting it (or most of it) on a disk instead of using the mp3. Guess it may be time to give my daughter a call and see if she know how to help me get this done.
Thanks for the good idea.

Old 03-20-2016, 06:57 PM
the wild hog
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 2,812 Posts

Congrats on the new ride.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:34 PM
pjones1969
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cike
I'm not very good with computers. I have my music saved in a tab on my desk top and tried 2 times today to burn it onto a disk. I had no luck and now i'm out of blank discs to try. I like the idea of putting it (or most of it) on a disk instead of using the mp3. Guess it may be time to give my daughter a call and see if she know how to help me get this done.
Thanks for the good idea.

Congrats on the new bike, here's a link to a thread here about burning mp3's to a cd, worked for me

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...on-kardon.html

The following users liked this post:
cike (03-21-2016)

Quick Reply: Got my EGC