Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

StreetGlide vs RoadKing

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 02:21 PM
onebadroadking
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive had both, streetglide first now I have a roadking. The are both great bikes. If you are going to do some test rides Id hop on a road glide custom as well. Those are gaining in popularity (mainly cuz alot of the custom builders are starting to build some sick road glides).

Old 04-09-2012, 02:26 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
The Street Glide is the most popular touring bike for a reason.
YEAH! Cause we own them and everyone aspires to be us!

OP, I bought my Road King because I liked the versatility of all the detachables including the windshield and didn't want to always be stuck behind the fairing. Well, three seasons later, here I am on a Street Glide, because for me it works better, especially up here in the frozen tundra and the miles I travel in a year. I like them both very much, but you have to ride them, consider what you are planning on doing as far as its use and make your decision to what's best for you. Like KCFLHRC said, whatever most have is what they will say is the best, human nature, of course, we all want to think we have the best, which is why I went with the Street Glide ..... HAHAHAHA! Oh yeah, and a black one, because we all know black is the fastest color ...... and not that denim black either, that non-smooth surface creates way too much drag.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:02 PM
Nirvana
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It really comes down to a preference for a fairing or windshield. The fairing does provide better protection for your hands when cold. However, if I wanted a bike with a fairing to keep my hands warmer, I would also want the lowers for my feet and legs, so I would be going with an Ultra unstead of a Street Glide.

For tunes, I'd sooner have them inside my helmet than competing with the sound of the bike, wind and road noises... or better yet, no tunes at all.

Functionally, I don't get the Street Glide or Road Glide Custom models. Aesthetically, I see their clean design appeal, just like the Road Kings offer the classic look.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:24 PM
vantage255
Novice

In Florida I like the RK. I don't use the radio and the fairing annoys me. But I miss not having the gauges. I can see that the fairing might be better in colder weather, but I like my RK and I don't see that changing.

To each his own though. Make your bike your own.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:00 PM
sloans4x4
Cruiser

Wow great responses. Yes I know I need to get on each of them and RIDE. I havent riden either any distance. I have rode my Boss old RoadKing and his Ultra, But not far at all. I was honestly thinking Fatboy until I got there. And really started thinking RoadKing. But after sitting on them I started liking the StreetGlide. I dont know if I really want the fairing all the time though!! Im only 36, so Dont want a GeezerGlide yet. But kinda fell in love with the streetglide. And yes at $18-$20k before any accessories, I need to be sure!! Thanks again guys.
I will keep you all posted on what we decide. Oh also the wife dont't like the looks of the fairing as well either.

On a side note: I found the thread yesterday about the bufferring/buffetting whatever wind turbulance with a the Streetglide. That made me really start second guessing!!

Shane

Old 04-09-2012, 04:23 PM
one-up
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

It basically boils down to the style of bike that you like.

Road King: looks like a 1965 Electra Glide, big chrome headlight that you can see from the saddle, removeable windshield. Great motorcycle - I've had 2 of them and I may have another someday. I like the fact that the windshield is removeable.

Street Glide: stripped down, hot rod bagger. Paint where paint belongs and chrome where chrome belongs. 18'' front wheel and 1'' lowered rear end. Very "Cool" and they're all the rage. I had one with a V&H Pro Pipe and it sounded wicked. Comes with stereo, speedo, tach, oil press gauge, voltage gauge and ambient temp indicator, Streamliner floorboards and pegs. Base price is about $2,000 higher than the Road King. You'll probably have to buy a taller windshield to replace the stock 4".

Your choice.

See attachments.

Attached Thumbnails StreetGlide vs RoadKing-sam_0113.jpg   StreetGlide vs RoadKing-053.jpg  

Last edited by one-up; 04-09-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:06 PM
JohnnyG
Novice

I would not be overly concerned with the ride simply because you will get used to which ever one you buy. In addition, they are both built on the same frame so they will have a very similar ride.

Consider which ever bike you get to be a starting point. From there you can change everything to make the bike perfect for you.

So I would pick the one that I liked the looks of then start building.

-G

Old 04-09-2012, 05:18 PM
rufasim
Road Warrior
Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts

Don't throw away the thought of a street glide because of the buffeting. That can be changed by adding a taller wind shield and maybe deflectors. The wind shield will set you back short money, $80 - 160. The deflectors are even shorter cash. If you and momma don't like the look of the fairing, well it appears that you kind of made up your mind. I would atleast take a ride on an SG just so that you know for sure what you want.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:34 PM
Ghostman574
Advanced

I would rent each one for a weekend and ride them for at least 300-400 miles. I have a street glide, and I was able to take care of the buffeting with a couple of relatively minor additions (Wind screen/Adjustable Deflectors/Fork Baffle).

Old 04-09-2012, 06:01 PM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

If I had it all to over again, I would have bought a Street Glide. I bought a Road King, and quickly found that I like a "shield" in front of me at all times, ESPECIALLY if riding for any longer than 10 minutes. I ended up turning my Road King into a Street King, and it looks very sharp. I kind of like the idea that within a few minutes I have the ability to return it to it's classic King look, but the truth is that I know I'll not likely ever do that.

They are both awesome bikes, and I like all the posts that have advised on running both through your favorite runs. It's far more expensive to turn a King into a Glide. While it can be done easy enough, it's not so easy on the wallet if it's later decided that the fairing is a must have. And all those gauges are pretty cool!

Quick Reply: StreetGlide vs RoadKing