Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tying a bike down on trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 08:05 PM
TSD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tying a bike down on trailer?

How tight should I pull the front end down? Should I compress the front shocks as far as possible or just snug it?

Old 04-12-2012, 08:10 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Tight enough it cant bounce and unload the straps! And DO NOT EVER tie it down with the kick stand down.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:10 PM
bgdv1
Road Master
Received 223 Likes on 70 Posts

dont want to bottom them out. about half way will do.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:15 PM
2d3k2h
Cruiser

Compress shocks slightly...if you are using a wheel chock you can use soft tye on handlebar but dont put much pressure on them as they can bend...if you can compress the shock to get the bike to stand up on its own without the side stand that should be enough pressure.Two more to pull front into chock...then Two on rear swingarm pull into chock same direction....If your **** or on a long tow one around rear wheel pulled to rear with enough pressure to keep from moving side to side.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:16 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Search the forum, lots of good tips on this one, in addition to the above.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:20 PM
toby34
Tourer

Tie down using soft ties on the fork legs. Use a condor if you can afford to. Securing your bike trying to some what compressing the front shocks is a bad idea. Don't ask me how I know this. The price of the condor and good traps is less than the paint work required to do fix the mess. Trailered two bikes to and from nj to nc and not one issue.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:58 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 04-12-2012, 09:26 PM
brandss
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

This is not my idea but saved it for when I trailer, eventually.

Buy a 2 x 8 x 8ft and cut it in to 4, 2ft pieces. I can't remember how many 2ft pieces you end up using but nail 3 or 4 of them together, just enough to slide under the frame of the bike with a gap of an inch or so. Then, ratchet down the front of the bike and let the
2 x 8's take the "pain" of the bike as opposed to the handlebars and forks. Hope this makes sense.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:36 PM
bsj04
Advanced

Originally Posted by brandss

Buy a 2 x 8 x 8ft and cut it in to 4, 2ft pieces. I can't remember how many 2ft pieces you end up using but nail 3 or 4 of them together, just enough to slide under the frame of the bike with a gap of an inch or so. Then, ratchet down the front of the bike and let the
2 x 8's take the "pain" of the bike as opposed to the handlebars and forks. Hope this makes sense.
I Tied my bike down like this and had no problems.
It was snug and not going anywhere but I wasnt worried about the shocks at all.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:30 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by brandss

I was always gonna try this, but never did. (I think it is a good idea.) I built a Condor type wheel chock. I strap off the front down tubes pulled forward, into the chock. (V-nose trailer. Use soft ties. I use the powertye - http://powertye.com/store/index.php - straps with built in soft ties.) I use a couple of straps I got from the dealer that are used on the new bikes when they are shipped, and strap off of the passenger floorboard mounts to eye bolts I mounted in the floor of the trailer.
The important thing is to check/tighten the straps after the first 10 miles or so and then check at every stop. I don't compress the shocks over half way. The chock is the key to the whole deal IMHO. I have never had a problem doing it this way.

Last edited by mike5511; 04-13-2012 at 01:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Tying a bike down on trailer?