Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 Ultra Misfiring

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 09:52 AM
Rainman64
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Ultra Misfiring

Hi All,
I have a 2007 Ultra Classic and I’m having problems with it misfiring. The bike coughs/misfires in the 2500 RPM range, which most of the riding is done. It does it at a steady state and sometimes in rapid secession, with increase and decrease of the throttle, like it’s going to stop running. I just returned from a 1400 mile trip and this was very annoying. The bike has the SE intake, true duals, with Rush slip on exhaust. I had the ECM flashed for the Stage One upgrade. I was running the Vance & Hines Fuel Pac code 0540, which changes were made to after calling V & H. I bypassed the fuelpac in hopes the problem would go away, but this did not help. It still coughed/misfired down the highway at the same RPM. I am hoping someone has had the same problem and can help prior to taking it to the dealer. Thanks

Old 04-17-2012, 12:48 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Could be a number of things. Check your battery connections for cleanliness and being tight. Check for loose connectors at the ecm behind the right side cover.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:55 PM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

did you ck to see if you are throwing any codes

Old 04-17-2012, 02:15 PM
Rush Racing Products
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

nvsteve has some great suggestions. Also check for any exhaust or intake leaks. Once all that is confirmed it most likely needs some tweaking done to the map. You can always give our tech support a call from 8am to 5pm central time.

What size baffles are in the slip-on mufflers? This can drastically effect a tune/map.
-Ryan

Old 04-17-2012, 07:53 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 637 Likes on 508 Posts

sounds like a plug wire or coil to me.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:42 PM
ken863
2nd Gear

I also have same problem with my 07 ultra with 25,000 miles. Its random as hell. Can ride 200 miles one day and its perfect but the next it will miss fire every few miles. Below is what i have done to date and it still miss fires, or what i call random split second hiccups.

Installed power commander, tested many many maps. Only change is crappy fuel mileage.
Went back stock exhaust, stock air cleaner, stock ecm with o2 sensors plugged in. No change
Change spark plugs
Changed TPS
Changed crank sensor
Replaced both in tank fuel lines, filter and regulator o-ring
Check for intake leaks, and check tightness of intake bolts
Cleaned air induction assembly
Check for intermittent connectivity on injectors
Checked grounds and battery connections

Still miss fires or hiccups.

Currently waiting on delivery of new coil, plug wires and system relay. If these don't fix it, next step is to replace fuel pressure regulator.

Ken

Old 04-17-2012, 09:10 PM
Ride Ultra
Advanced

Ditto. Just started doing it this Spring, thought it was bad gas but used sta-bil. Only does it around 2500-2700 in 6th. Have the PCV and talked with some of the folks at the dealership and they thought it might be moisture in the unit. Opened, hit it with a hair dryer, reinstalled. No luck. New plugs and some other things as well, no avail. Seems to do it only when pulling hard and/or when air temps are below 70. Rode today for almost 2 hrs and it purred without issue.

As a side note, got blown across my own lane with prop wash from a crop duster today. Thought it looked really cool until skipping by the rear of the plane. Funny now, not then. Runway 50 feet from a road, really?

Old 04-18-2012, 07:50 AM
Rainman64
6th Gear

The baffles are the 2" quite. From some of the post I think you are riding my bike. Just rode 1400 miles and somestime half of the day with no misfires and then misfires start. Mine is in the RPM range 2400-2800 in all upper gears. I can ride short rides around home for days with no problem and then it will misfire like crazy on the next ride. I'm at a lost on what to do.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:54 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Samr problem but finally threw a P0107 MAP sensor code. Still waiting on the sensor. There was a service bullitin in 09 on it and the changed the part completly from 07. Good luck.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:25 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,634 Posts

I had a similar issue with my 2000 Ultra a couple of years ago.
I took it in and they done someting to the ECM and got it running great.
Since your problem is consistently at the same RPM's I suspect that you may have the same problem.

Loose grounds (at either end of the battery ground cable) can cause a bike to miss, backfire and spit but at different RPM's, in any gear but that doesn't mean this isn't your problem.
Check and clean (scuff up) the ends of this cable as well as the frame where the cable is attached to the frame.

I recently had the cam chain update kit installed in my bike and the mechanic discovered that my headpipe had a crack in it.
It didn't make any more noise than usual but it seems to idle better now tat the pipe has been replaced.

FWIW, my neighbor has a 2002 RKC (pristine, low mileage) and he had a "sputter" problem at certain RPM's.
The same mechanic that found my cracked headpipe discovered a broken injector wire was his problem.

Quick Reply: 07 Ultra Misfiring