Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PYO Monkey Bars: Soooooo pissed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Angry PYO Monkey Bars: Soooooo pissed!!!

I just bought $375 bars. Waited a month to get them. Tore my bike down, started to run the internal wires and found out that Yaffe didn't chrome where the grips go! This may not be a problem for most but I'm using the Battistini grips, which means they are swiss cheese and almost half of what you see when looking at the grip is actually the handlebars. My stock Harley bars were chromed all over why wouldn't some top of the line bars from a custom manufacturer be completely chromed!!!???

So what do I do? My bike is in countless pieces, I don't want to put it back together stock, I don't want to use bars that need to be returned, I don't want to go through the dreaded internal wiring only to redo it again.

I can't believe for this amount of money Paul Yaffe cheaped out and didn't chrome the whole handlebars!!!

Old 05-05-2012, 09:05 PM
TexasBowhunter
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Chrome would look nice with the contrast...no doubt...
but consider this
get some Krylon and paint that area an accent color that will help state a point in the first stage of customizing...
Fry's has heat shrink tubing in 1" in various colors consider that as well
paul

Old 05-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Gearhead3
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasBowhunter
Chrome would look nice with the contrast...no doubt...
but consider this
get some Krylon and paint that area an accent color that will help state a point in the first stage of customizing...
Fry's has heat shrink tubing in 1" in various colors consider that as well
paul
Awesome suggestion! I was just thinking paint it black, but a contrast color would be the sheetz. I'd bet money 'Dew Me' would get a lot of positive comments.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:10 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Black paint? Just a thought.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:14 PM
mike1158
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i feel you...i just did a set of those bars myself..and if you got the wiring done the LAST thing you wanna do is pull it out...

I would paint..... if your grips are chrome i'd tape off the ends of the bars and spray them black.... if your grips are black, i'd get some of that chrome spray paint.

I know rattle can isn't the best finish but if you think about how much you are actually gonna see through those little holes in your grips... and i know the spray chrome isn't the same as real chrome but you'll have a break between the bar chrome and spray chrome with the controlls....

unless you wanna start all over again... i don't see a whole lot of other options...

Old 05-05-2012, 09:23 PM
03psd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have way more discipline than I. I rip open each package I get as soon as its delivered even when I am still at work. No way I could wait to check out the goodies until I did the actual install.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:48 PM
floridapoolboy
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I can't believe the bars weren't fully chromed...... I'd be pissed also!

Old 05-05-2012, 09:50 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasBowhunter
get some Krylon and paint that area an accent color
paul
Paul--->Most excellent suggestion! Way to be positive and think outside the box. It makes me wish I liked all the contrast stuff people are doing with bars, switches, housings, and grips. Me, I'm chrome all the way and won't be happy till every last thing on the bike is chromed. I bought the Battistini's so I could have all chrome but still have some texture so the throttle doesn't slip in my hand like on much of the all chrome grips.

Here is the silver lining I'm looking at right now: I'm gonna complete the install, and bitch Yaffe out next week for my ALL chrome bars. First part of the silver lining is that I will be better at this job the second time around. Second, is that after a day or two of riding I may find out that what many are saying is true, and that I actually want 12's.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:11 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Somebody makes a chrome paint. Not quite the same but can't hardly tell from a distance. I used it on my kids pinewood derby car 3 or 4 years ago. I think I got it a Lowes. Under the grips you won't be able to tell. On the TBW side it doesn't make any difference anyway. The plastic piece covers the bar. This is weird mine were fully chrome but that was a couple of years ago.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:29 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Do the grips that you are using fit the bars properly. I went iwth Avon grips and they were too short. left a gap. I ended up using HD grips and they worked fine. When I called pyo they said the bars are made to HD specs, makes sense. Its a shame that the bars are not all chrome. I wounder if they Black out the entire bar on the Black bars or stock where the bar is stepped down.

seems like lots of companies are taking short cuts

Quick Reply: PYO Monkey Bars: Soooooo pissed!!!