Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Hand Pump issue...I need help !!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 08:54 AM
Jerzmatic
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Hand Pump issue...I need help !!

I have a 2000 Electra Classic. I bought a Harley hand pump yesterday because i'm riding with NO air and I have a wobble at high speeds.

I'm able to screw the pump to the stem and pump it to my desired 23psi with no issue on each side.

My problem is I seem to be losing ALL of my air as I unscrew the pump from the stem. I called the Harley dealership and they said to unscrew it faster I tried that (knowing there was no way that it could be done that quicly) and of course the air still came out to Zero. I have no way to check existing pressure either. When I hold the pump to the stem to check the pressure it reads zero and oil comes out.

Am I using the pump incorrectly? There is a button on the model pump from hatley that I have if that helps.

Excuse my lack of knowledge with this, i'm learning.

I'm about to take a ride from ATL to Memphis in the morning and I need to get this take care of today !!

Old 05-10-2012, 09:06 AM
01RoadHog
Advanced

I have an 01 RK which should be a similiar suspension setup to yours and found that I had trouble using aftermarket air pumps but no problem with the HD pump. The aftermarket does exactly what you describe above.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:06 AM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 449 Likes on 314 Posts

If it's the Harley pump, it's a no loss pump so you shouldn't be losing any air as you unscrew it.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:10 AM
reh13
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd replace the valve stems and try again.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:17 AM
Jerzmatic
Advanced

Ok is replacing the two stems a big job?

Old 05-10-2012, 09:33 AM
reh13
Road Master

I'm not talking about the whole schrader valve, just the stem inside.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:37 AM
Retrax
Tourer

I can't recall which years have what, but yours either has one schrader valve (like a tire fill valve) for both rear shocks like my 2009 Street Glide, or you may have two valves. If you have two, I think one is for the rear suspension and the other is for the front.

Replacing the valve stems is easy and inexpensive. Go to the auto parts store and get a "Valve Core Tool". They are only a few dollars. Take the valve stem cap off and look closely at the Schrader valve. It had a stem that you can depress to let air out when the system holds pressure. Inside the stem barrel around the stem pin you should see two ears. Kind of hard to describe but it should make sense when you look at it. Slip the tool over the stem pin and onto the ears.

You may just have to tighten the valve cores (turn clockwise until they stop). Cores are cheap so I would probably just unscrew them and take them into the auto parts store, buy replacements, and screw the new ones in. If you are using the HD hand pump and the system still does not hold pressure, you have an air leak somewhere else, either from a line, fitting, or shock absorber.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:50 AM
z71_fourwheelin
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would take it to a tire shop and ask them if they can replace your valve core. couple dollars should do it.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:00 AM
reh13
Road Master

I'm sorry, I just assumed you knew what I was talking about. I believe the correct term for the stem inside of the schrader valve is a POPPET VALVE, but most everyone I know calls them a valve stem.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:00 AM
redman2636
Cruiser

I had the same issue. In my case it was the pump. Traded it out, problem solved.

Quick Reply: Suspension Hand Pump issue...I need help !!