Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shock length selection and sag

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 12:18 PM
skully1200
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shock length selection and sag

So I'm researching Ohlins and I have a question. I read on another thread that the length of the shock listed on Howard's website is the total eye to eye length of the shock uncompressed with the rear tire off the ground. It is also my understanding that when setting sag, you want the sag with rider on bike to be 1/3 of the total travel of the shock. Is what I have read so far accurate? If this is the case, then I did a little math. Tell me if I'm on the right track here. Looking just at the #2 series for now.
2-2A with a length of 12 1/8 and 3 1/4 inches of travel minus 1/3 sag would give a ride height of 11.04 inches.
2-2B with a length of 12 7/8 and 3 5/16 inches of travel minus 1/3 sag = ride height 11.77.
2-3 length 13 1/4 and 4 3/32 travel minus 1/3 sag =ride height of 11.89.
My Road King Custom claims to have 12 inch shocks (same as Street Glide), but I'm not sure how they are measured. I took a quick eye to eye measurement this morning of the right side shock with the bike on the kickstand and it was about 11 3/4. I know this isn't precise, but was looking for a ballpark.
So if my thinking is accurate, and please correct me if it's not, both the 2-2B and the 2-3 would be very close to the stock height of my bike. The ride height difference between the two is less than 1/8 inch and the 2-3 would have over 3/4 more travel. By this way of thinking, the 2-3 would seem like the logical choice.
Hopefully someone can tell me if my "logic" is making any sense. I will call Howard at some point, but i want to have as much accurate information as possible beforehand so i don't waste any more of his time than necessary. Thanks for reading.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:39 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I have the 2~2a version.

The on the sidestand, lean will be really close to stock with the 2~2a shocks. Sag for the bike alone will drop the stroke a few millimeters. If you have 12" shocks now, you won't see any difference when parked.

Once you set your sag for your weight (and or you and your passenger) the ride height will be a little lower than stock. The shock will compress to about 11 1/8" with the loaded sag set. This was perfect for me.

Sag on the 2~2a shocks should be 27.6mm or 1/3 of the stroke.

But the upside is, the stroke of the Ohlins is longer than the OEM shocks. So even with a lower stance, the shocks have better travel than the OEM shocks.

Howard will set up the valves and such, for your weight, and load. The spring is chosen for your weight, passenger, and bike. The only thing the spring is there for is to counteract gravity. The shock does the rest.

Last edited by shooter5074; 05-16-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:49 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by skully1200
So I'm researching Ohlins and I have a question. I read on another thread that the length of the shock listed on Howard's website is the total eye to eye length of the shock uncompressed with the rear tire off the ground. It is also my understanding that when setting sag, you want the sag with rider on bike to be 1/3 of the total travel of the shock. Is what I have read so far accurate? If this is the case, then I did a little math. Tell me if I'm on the right track here. Looking just at the #2 series for now.
2-2A with a length of 12 1/8 and 3 1/4 inches of travel minus 1/3 sag would give a ride height of 11.04 inches.
2-2B with a length of 12 7/8 and 3 5/16 inches of travel minus 1/3 sag = ride height 11.77.
2-3 length 13 1/4 and 4 3/32 travel minus 1/3 sag =ride height of 11.89.
My Road King Custom claims to have 12 inch shocks (same as Street Glide), but I'm not sure how they are measured. I took a quick eye to eye measurement this morning of the right side shock with the bike on the kickstand and it was about 11 3/4. I know this isn't precise, but was looking for a ballpark.
So if my thinking is accurate, and please correct me if it's not, both the 2-2B and the 2-3 would be very close to the stock height of my bike. The ride height difference between the two is less than 1/8 inch and the 2-3 would have over 3/4 more travel. By this way of thinking, the 2-3 would seem like the logical choice.
Hopefully someone can tell me if my "logic" is making any sense. I will call Howard at some point, but i want to have as much accurate information as possible beforehand so i don't waste any more of his time than necessary. Thanks for reading.
I'm running the 2-3's and your pretty close on the money. No rider, the rear is slightly elevated from stock and when your sitting on the bike, it's about the same as stock. That's just my experience but considering the FreeWay Blaster horn ordeal, I'm not recommending anything..LOL..

Old 05-16-2012, 02:27 PM
Moneywoes
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your stock shocks would also be measured eye to eye, so they wuld be 12" eye to eye fully extended.

I don't know what the stoke lenght on the RK is, but if you have anywhere near enough air in them to keep from bottoming out constantly the loaded sag is probably less than 1/3" stroke with them. The 2-2A would probably have a lower loaded stance than the stockers. The 2-2b's should be close.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:39 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by shooter5074
I have the 2~2a version.

The on the sidestand, lean will be really close to stock with the 2~2a shocks. Sag for the bike alone will drop the stroke a few millimeters. If you have 12" shocks now, you won't see any difference when parked.

Once you set your sag for your weight (and or you and your passenger) the ride height will be a little lower than stock. The shock will compress to about 11 1/8" with the loaded sag set. This was perfect for me.

Sag on the 2~2a shocks should be 27.6mm or 1/3 of the stroke.

But the upside is, the stroke of the Ohlins is longer than the OEM shocks. So even with a lower stance, the shocks have better travel than the OEM shocks.

Howard will set up the valves and such, for your weight, and load. The spring is chosen for your weight, passenger, and bike. The only thing the spring is there for is to counteract gravity. The shock does the rest.
What is the impact of the lowered stance on hard cornering like Tail of the Dragon?

Old 05-16-2012, 03:44 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by FX4
What is the impact of the lowered stance on hard cornering like Tail of the Dragon?

Haven't had a chance to really hammer them yet.... but the lowered stance is not that much.

If you think about what hits when really pushing a corner..... the foot boards, right?

With the lowered rear, the boards are only maybe a millimeter lower, if that, because of the geometry of the frame and front end.

And the height difference with the bike laden is only about 10mm (about 2/5 inch) between OEM and the 2~2a shocks. If it was much more than that, I would notice it from my view of the windshield height.

Last edited by shooter5074; 05-16-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:35 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

A feature of Ohlins is that you can adjust the sag to a fine degree, so the ground clearance you get is predictable. If you ride 2-up and fully loaded, as we do, you can adjust sag so that the ground clearance is the same as solo settings. Ride control is so much better than stock the ride and cornering are just not comparable. If you have ever ridden the Dragon on stock shocks you won't believe the improvement!

On stock shocks we can theoretically adjust sag, by altering the air pressure, but they are not dependable and frankly it is futile trying. They have such poor damping control (if we can call it that) most of us probably use higher pressures than gives the correct sag, to reduce bottoming.

Skully, I suggest you get longer shocks than your stock ones, as while the bike will look taller with nobody sitting on it, with the correct sag it will look similar when sitting on it and you will get the bonus of extra shock travel. I suspect Howard sells plenty of those #2-3s!

Last edited by grbrown; 05-16-2012 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Added para.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:06 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member

How many guys are running the 2 vs the 3s. Talked with Howard tonight and I'm mulling over which way to go. The budget is really saying 2s but Howard thinks I will be happier with the 3s given I ride hard and travel long distance.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:28 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

I have the 13.25" #2's(#2-#3) I don't ride super long distances consistently, I don't ride with alot of a load and I ride mainly solo. I do however spend some of my journeys going from one floorboard to another but I still have to ride on the freeways as well. At this point in time I have zero want for a different shock. But I have not tried another shock on this bike other than the stockers. Maybe if I took Howard up on his offer to come on out to Fla and test the different type Ohlins I would have a better frame of reference. I have used many different brands and I have used the piggyback Ohlins and the remote reservoirs Ohlins but not on this bike and not the current offerings. As I said these shocks, when set up correctly, are nothing short of excellent.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:33 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks, that is good to know.

Quick Reply: Shock length selection and sag