Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pinging when it's hot

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 12:04 PM
Gearhead3
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heres a cross reference chart for anyone interested.

http://www.harley-performance.com/ha...park-plug.html

Old 05-21-2012, 01:51 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by TWIN CAM 96
Try running some Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus to clean your pistons / valves which would cause the pinging.
I use Sea Foam regularly. It's the same stuff as Chevron Techron.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:11 AM
mechanicalman
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am getting some pinging from about 2800 to over 4000 rpms. I tried to enrichen this area but it had no effect. I still get it while I am doing a super tune run and the timing gets retarded 4deg. when doing a super tune flash so timing shouldn't be an issue. This one has me baffled I'd be interested to see if the plugs work for more people. The above referenced plug comparison anly shows 88 & 96 inch TC's is the 103 the same?

Old 05-23-2012, 06:32 AM
WARDSPARTSWERKS
Banned
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

standard Vrod plugs work also, they are colder too.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:46 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

So fabrik8r (jason) has it been determined a cooler plug has a positive affect on intermittent pinging? Is there a recommended plug of choice without going to an iridium for example?

Old 05-23-2012, 07:08 AM
WARDSPARTSWERKS
Banned
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TUCCI
So fabrik8r (jason) has it been determined a cooler plug has a positive affect on intermittent pinging? Is there a recommended plug of choice without going to an iridium for example?
I never got around to a dedicated study on different heat range plugs, I've run most of the common recommendations for colder plugs and I havent noticed anything remarkable from any of them. I'm currently running the the 10R12 VROD plugs, and the bike is about as cool as it can be with cylinder fans and a fan on the oil cooler, It's got a good tune but I havent messed with timing because I cant "see" whats going on with the PCIII, Some day I'll get the TTS so I can further optimize the tune. I still get an ocasional ping, easiest and cheapest fix I've found is a downshift.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:20 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
I use Sea Foam regularly. It's the samey stuff as Chevron Techron.
Frenchy whats the concentration level your using with the seafoam?

Old 05-23-2012, 08:38 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by WARDSPARTSWERKS
I never got around to a dedicated study on different heat range plugs, I've run most of the common recommendations for colder plugs and I havent noticed anything remarkable from any of them. I'm currently running the the 10R12 VROD plugs, and the bike is about as cool as it can be with cylinder fans and a fan on the oil cooler, It's got a good tune but I havent messed with timing because I cant "see" whats going on with the PCIII, Some day I'll get the TTS so I can further optimize the tune. I still get an ocasional ping, easiest and cheapest fix I've found is a downshift.
Do you think the standard plug that comes stock is a hot plug and the reason your using Vrod plugs?

Old 06-04-2012, 09:46 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

Well after spending a boatload of time reading about every tuner used and the hows and whys as well as dooshing my system with Seafoam and going to cooler plugs Ive decided on the PCV. I spoke to Jaime as to the reasons these big twins start to ping as the miles add on and the PCV is defenitely what I need. Thanks go out to 2black1s, iclick and journeyman for their contributions. I dont have the funds or the right o2 bung size, not to mention the proper location on my existing header so an Auto tune is not possible without either a differant header or having 18mm bung holes welded. Jaime is installing a map for my particular setup and with the help of the knowledgable members Im going to alter the timing until its a thing of the past and I will be documenting my findings to add to all the info available on this sight.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:11 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by TUCCI
Frenchy whats the concentration level your using with the seafoam?
Sorry for my late reply. I use 1/2 of a can (8oz) in a full tank every 1,000 miles or so.

Quick Reply: Pinging when it's hot