Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inner fairing paint price

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 01:51 AM
jerren25
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inner fairing paint price

Wondering if you guys know how much it would be to have my inner fairing painted or is it better just to order one from the stealer? And if anyone knows any good paint shops in northern NY.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:02 AM
hardwork2
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

There is a gloss black one at Wildcat Harley I've had my eye on. They want $400.00 for it. I figure I can buy it mine for a hundred or so and bring the price down enough to pat for the swap out. Hope this helps

Old 06-13-2012, 06:50 AM
BDHABT
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jerren25
Wondering if you guys know how much it would be to have my inner fairing painted or is it better just to order one from the stealer? And if anyone knows any good paint shops in northern NY.

Price depends on the shop.Mention the word 'motorcycle',and people get crazy with their prices.

I checked a couple of local shops to paint my inner.

One shop wanted $350.

Next was $550;yeah sure buddy.

Ended up having a buddy do it for $75;but had to get the paint;that cost me $50.

Shop around,and look at their work.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:20 AM
rapz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I paid less than $200 for mine to be painted. Ask around, there are lots of guys with an extra inner fairing who have ordered a replacement (painted) from the dealer and end up with a spare inner fairing. A friend gave me one and I had it painted and I installed it myself. Removing the Inner Fairing is a pain compared to the Outer Fairing, but there's a good step by step posting on this forum. Check out my blog at https://swriding.blogspot.com and I've got some pixs on the process.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:22 AM
dowhat
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Had 2 painted by different shops. 150.00 for the frist, gloss black. 300 for the second in pearl black. The 2nd was at a auto shop, the 1st at a MC repair shop. After both had been done, I like the 2nd one better. Also had my heat sheilds painted at the sametime.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:42 AM
beyondthepaint
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen good jobs and bad on inner fairings. Matching Harley colors is difficult, and usually requires someone who knows their business. That being said, those guys usually don't work for free.

Our shop starts inner fairings with a switch cap at $250. That covers about half of the colors. If you have a Sun-glo color or any other tri-stage color, there is an extra charge between $50 and $75 depending on the color. HD colors can get very pricey, and tricky to apply. Ours finish is as good or better than the factory.

Just make sure you use someone who can and will stand behind their work. Can you find your painter if the paint starts peeling off in 6 months. Just because someone paints cars does not make them a good painter. Plastic requires different prep and procedures for proper paint adhesion. If you get a lower price, that's all good as long as the quality and durability of the job are to your satisfaction. Good luck

Old 06-13-2012, 08:46 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,645 Likes on 4,632 Posts

Originally Posted by beyondthepaint
I've seen good jobs and bad on inner fairings. Matching Harley colors is difficult, and usually requires someone who knows their business. That being said, those guys usually don't work for free.

Our shop starts inner fairings with a switch cap at $250. That covers about half of the colors. If you have a Sun-glo color or any other tri-stage color, there is an extra charge between $50 and $75 depending on the color. HD colors can get very pricey, and tricky to apply. Ours finish is as good or better than the factory.

Just make sure you use someone who can and will stand behind their work. Can you find your painter if the paint starts peeling off in 6 months. Just because someone paints cars does not make them a good painter. Plastic requires different prep and procedures for proper paint adhesion. If you get a lower price, that's all good as long as the quality and durability of the job are to your satisfaction. Good luck
great answer!! people forget you get what you pay for. saving a buck is nice, having a great job done is nicer!!

Old 06-13-2012, 10:19 AM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was lucky and found a friend that painted my inner fairing, repaired/painted the outer fairing and both saddle bag lids for 275.00.

Considered myself real lucky!

Old 06-13-2012, 11:21 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

The $ math is simple: compare the cost of buying the HD supplied inner fairing and cap versus the cost of a shop painting your inner fairing and cap--and reduce the cost of the HD inner by selling your take-off. For those considering a shop, and worried about downtime, buy a second take-off for about $100 for the painter to shoot, then sell your take-off like you would if you bought the HD--no additonal cost and zero downtime.

This may seem a small point for many, but I dislike the HD product because you don't get a color-matched, small plastic bezel used for the turn signal/idiot lights--you reuse the unpainted black plastic bezel which is an eye-sore--so most buy the chrome cover HD sells. A small point for some, but I much prefer my local shop shooting that small platic bezel to color-match the inner fairing and cap.

As far as quality is concerned, I had an interesting conversation with a couple of the parts guys at my local dealership last week. I was surprised to learn that they return to HD 75% of the painted parts they receive from HD for customer repairs (most often damage caused by accidents) because of poor quality paint rather than install the painted parts initially received--I did not ask specifically about painted innter fairings. The fact that it's coming from HD is no guaranty that it's going to be perfect.

Suggestion: If using a local shop, ask for references and check-out their work. Unless it's a CVO or Custom color, PPG provides equivalent paint colors and lots of shops have access to those paints.

Carl

Old 06-13-2012, 12:02 PM
CarrollB
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I paid $240 at a local car body shop but had a friend from my club who worked there and he said they would do a good job. Took me 3 hours to take it off and 3 hours to put it back on. Any place you have metal parts going over the fairing like the bracket that holds the passing lamps, cover the fairing with tape when re-installing so you don't scratch the new paint like I did.

Quick Reply: Inner fairing paint price