Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking for feedback on Baker Chain Adjuster...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 08:31 AM
jimski
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default looking for feedback on Baker Chain Adjuster...

I have an 07 SG. It has the Harley auto primary chain adjuster. The problem, according to my mechanic, is they take up too much slack making it too tight and impossible to meet the Harley spec. I've used him for years and he's a very credible guy.

So, I started this thread to see if anyone has installed the Baker Attitude Chain Adjuster and what they think of it so far. Because of the price ($199), I would not purchase it without first getting some favorable feedback.

http://bakerdrivetrain.com/attitude-chain-adjuster

I also wonder if Baker would give us a "group buy discount" if enough of us wanted to purchase one.

Thanks in advance to those that reply.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:13 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

I have asked here before what the chain play should be on touring models with the auto chain adjusters.Never did get and answer.My 2011 SM says nothing.
I checked mine once,I know it was tighter than the spec below.

So I guess according to Baker,it's the same as the older models(5/8-7/8).

Old 06-24-2012, 09:48 AM
96inchBOB
Cruiser
Default baker adjuster

I put a baker adjuster in my 08 road glide and it no longer has the whirling sound in the primary. The motor cycle is smoother all around. The whirling sound you hear in the primary is the chain is to tight. I know harley made the auto adjuster but that does not mean it is right. Do a search on inner primary and transmission main shaft bearing failure and see what year bikes has this problem it will be 06 Dynas and 07 and up for the rest of the big twin models. These are the years with the auto adjuster. I am a maintenance man in a bag making plant that deals a lot with chains belts and pulleys and shafts and bearing 20 years i know what a tight chain or belt will do to a shaft or bearing. You do have to remove the outer primary to adjust the chain but that is simple to do or you can buy a bulley outer cover from baker but it is not cheap. I new in August 06 when i bought my 07 street bob there was a problem and new it needed to be fixed but no one made a adjuster. The baker adjuster was not aval. till about mid march 2012 and i got one of the first one of them at 2012 daytona bike week had one on back order a month before bike week and seen where you could add one to cart on their web site about 4 days before bike week called them and ask if they were going to have any at their tent at bike week and was told they were flying 2 down on sunday and would be at the tent at 10:00am I was there at about 10:05 and they only had 1 left so i bought it best 200 dollars i have ever spent

Old 06-24-2012, 10:17 AM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

interesting, thanks for posting

Old 06-24-2012, 10:33 AM
jimski
Road Master

Thanks for taking the time to write that really informative post, 96inchBOB!
I have my SG where I want it as far a performance enhancements but now I'd like to improve the reliability of it by addressing some of the problem issues.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:12 PM
jimski
Road Master

I just want to bump this thread 1x being that there are over 500 members right now checking out the "Touring Forum." Any additional feedback is greatly appreciated!

Old 06-24-2012, 07:56 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Although I like the design of the adjuster, $200 is way overpriced and when I get around to replacing the so called auto adjuster, I need a more cost effective alternative.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:57 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Why is the Baker unit better than the older gen HD manual adjuster?

Old 06-24-2012, 08:16 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,965 Likes on 1,715 Posts

Another option is to make your auto tensioner a manual one. rbabos did just that with his by putting a slot in the bottom of the plate and used a bolt and lock tab washer. Pretty simple idea really.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:20 PM
bikehe
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
Another option is to make your auto tensioner a manual one. rbabos did just that with his by putting a slot in the bottom of the plate and used a bolt and lock tab washer. Pretty simple idea really.
That sounds like a great idea. I too think the baker one is pricey, but if it can be done at home with the right gear, I like that better. Anyone else done this mod so some pictures can be had. As they say a picture says a thousand words. I'm replacing the clutch in mine soon so might as well do this, but if I have to get the baker one, then so be it.

Quick Reply: looking for feedback on Baker Chain Adjuster...