Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Canada Border Crossing

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 08:43 PM
Wreckman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canada Border Crossing

Heading to Alaska in a month. I am curious if it will be an issue crossing the canadian border without a Pa. state inspection. I just never bother to get my bikes inspected and am not sure if this is an issue going into Canada. I can't imagine they care but never know. Anyone help me with this one?

Old 06-25-2012, 08:55 PM
J.L.
Advanced

friends did the circle tour around Lake Superior a week ago. They pulled two of the guys out for a closer look, One of these two had a DWI 12 years ago, they said that if it was less than 10 years ago he would have been sent back to the US. If he had two DWI's No entry period. Out of 5 guys only two had the background check that showed up the DWI. Other than that everything was easy. They were not checked for insurance certificates. Iam told nothing special in the way of insurance is needed. One other thing No handguns are allowed.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:59 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

I don't think they will care unless it's mounted to the bike and expired, I crossed the Canadian Border a whole bunch of times and my bike didn't have the Hawaiian inspection sticker required in Hawaii, wasn't possible to get it inspected unless I shipped the bike back to Hawaii. I removed the sticker plate from the bike so I was not riding with an obvious expired sticker. One thing, at least what I've read if you have any type of prior convictions even DWI it might be a problem entering. Another thing call you insurance company and ask if they will send you proof of insurance for Canada, my insurance company sent me a card (it was free), I read that if you're involved in an accident (or maybe just busting) in Canada and you don't have it they can impound your bike. I crossed from Washington state quite a bit and it was painless.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:03 PM
Wreckman
Advanced

Two of us traveling and neither of us has ever had a DWI. No guns on board maybe a knife for the camping. I guess if they want it they can have it. Passports and Canada insurance cards from our insurance co. I think it will not be an issue.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:13 PM
pearsom
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Wreckman, you won't have a problem. They'll ask you if you're bringing any firearms into Canada, they won't care about a knife. Enjoy the Alaska Hwy and watch out for animals, they're almost around every corner. You'll love the ride. They won't worry about the inspection sticker. Don't ask, don't tell!

Old 06-25-2012, 09:15 PM
hawwk
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wreckman keep your knife in your gear and not on your belt as they don't like that. When you come up to the custom agent make sure your not wearing your sun glasses and shut your bike off. These are two things they like. I've never seen a border guard ask for proof of insurance, I think it's more for if you get pulled over by the popo up here

Old 06-25-2012, 09:17 PM
hawwk
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pearsom
Wreckman, you won't have a problem. They'll ask you if you're bringing any firearms into Canada, they won't care about a knife. Enjoy the Alaska Hwy and watch out for animals, they're almost around every corner. You'll love the ride. They won't worry about the inspection sticker. Don't ask, don't tell!
They don't like the knives now. That last four times I crossed they asked me about them and that was even last week when we came back over on the bikes

Old 06-25-2012, 09:21 PM
Wreckman
Advanced

Thanks. I didn't think they would care about a state inspection. I am not sure that we care about our state inspection. My brother in law is a state cop and he said they really don't look for them only if you get pulled over for something else. I have never got my bikes inspected in 32 years and never had a problem. If I get nailed I will pay the fine and smile as I am money ahead at this point in my life. When I started riding many years ago my chopped bikes would not even pass inspection so I never bothered.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:22 PM
Frostbite
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,424 Likes on 1,547 Posts

The three times I went into Canada I had a harder time getting back into my own country.
Early 70s, three of us on bikes. Going into Canada, "where are you going, how long you staying, any firearms? have a nice trip" Coming into US, unroll our sleeping bags, take the headlight out, take the battery out, guy looked inside the gas tanks, I'm glad we didn't get strip searched.
Still, sounds like you got a fun trip ahead. Wish I was going.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:26 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,506 Likes on 1,610 Posts

In addition to taking your sunglasses of and shutting your engine down, pull up to the booth individually.
Should they pull you to the side for further inspection, making a fuss about it will only slow them down and cause you more lost time.
Also, if you have prescription medication(s) with you, leave them in the properly labeled containers, not in one of those "daily" pill boxes and this includes over the counter stuff as well.

Quick Reply: Canada Border Crossing