Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hot

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 08:48 AM
ckfansler
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hot

Bought a 2007 electra glide ultra love the bike but not the heat.What can a bro do to reduce some heat,it get's so hot the wife won't ride anymore.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:29 AM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

stock exhaust? no tune?

Old 07-13-2012, 09:34 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Give us more details oil cooler? Etc

Old 07-13-2012, 09:40 AM
HDCat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat

For me, running synthetics seemed to help. Also added slip-on exhaust, stage one (SE) and a tuner (to enrich fuel mixture), and some under the seat heat deflectors, parade fan, etc. My 08 UC runs hot, but this, plus having the rear cylinder shut-down activated when stuck at traffic lights, has helped. Heck, its a Harley V-Twin so its going to run hot. My riding includes the Southwest of the US, and Europe for the last two years, and I've survived. My buddies UC 103 recently died while idling in traffic in Hungary. It fired back up after sitting for a couple of minutes. Heat is to be expected but can be managed somewhat. I'm sure others will chime in with their ideas...

Old 07-13-2012, 09:51 AM
aces25
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, you are sitting on top of an internal combustion engine. Just saying.

Stage 1 with a tune is a good place to start - bike breathes better, slightly more power, and reduced temps. There are some other options for trying to manage heat, but increased heat is part of the price you pay to play the game on these later model bikes.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:00 AM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Remove the lowers.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:08 AM
VTGlideRider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Stage 1 - heavy breather a/c, slip ons, and fuel management system of your choice to cure the lean condition that it comes out of the factory with.
  2. Replace the stock headpipe for something without the catalytic converter. The budget way out is to de-cat your own pipe, or if you aren't into the DIY thing American Custom will sell you a de-catted stock Harley header pipe for $199 if you send them your pipe in trade.
  3. Oil cooler if the bike doesn't already have one
  4. Mid frame air deflector or something similar from one of the forum sponsors.
  5. Run synthetic motor oil. Seems to make it run a touch cooler and also handles the high temps better than the dyno oil

Old 07-13-2012, 11:52 AM
mikebaby
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

VTGlideRider nailed all the talking points, except you do not have a cat on your 2007.

mikebaby

Old 07-13-2012, 04:31 PM
X Iron Butt
Supporter
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

IMO tune is the only way to get significant reduction in heat. Oil and other tips will reduce it some but without the tune it won't be enough to cool down the extreme lean running motors. HD has to run them lean to meet emissions. I see you are in NC. If you are near Roanoke Rapids call Brooke McCabe at Collier HD and make an appointment. You could buy a tuner off of this Forum as they are selling pretty good with the newer model tuners replacing older ones. If all you want is heat reduction you don't HAVE TO HAVE the more expensive tuners to get that done. Be sure and tell Brook you want to reduce heat. You will like the performance increase you will get and the heat will be bearable for the wife. Brook will help you decide all you need over the phone. He has a Nitro Drag bike and sells a lot of used parts he comes accross for cheap to fund his drag monkey.

Last edited by X Iron Butt; 07-13-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:03 PM
ddm502001
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I installed no more fried thighs(on the sponsor list) but there is also Captain Itch and his crotch coolers, harley mid frame deflectors, all good starts along with a St.1 and changing pipes. You probably have the same 'Y' pipe set up my '03 had, a lot of options to eliminate the heat from that point as well, true duals, Khrome Werks replacement as I installed, converting to the newer style with a late style oil pan change also all good to cut the heat.

Quick Reply: hot