Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What fell out of my Primary Hole...OH NO!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 06:58 AM
cabowabodude
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What fell out of my Primary Hole...OH NO!!!

Well I was changing out my fluids on my 07 Street Glide and it was going well, till I looked at the chunk of metal that fell out of my primary drain plug. Then I sent the HD service guy a picture of the chunk and he said it looked like a piece of the Clutch Ring Gear. I kept thinking to my self the Pinion Gear should be weaker then the Clutch Ring Gear. So I get up this morning and pull the starter off and Look MA NO TEETH (See Picture) it looks like the Clutch Ring Gear is the weak link. The HD service guy tells me they are 2 weeks out and I need to purchase a new Clutch Basket (MSRP 529) for my SG. I've never changed out a Clutch Basket. Does anyone have any idea on how many hours it takes? This sucks I had 10K of riding on the bike this year and now I'm shut down. WTF....

Thanks
Mark

Attached Thumbnails What fell out of my Primary Hole...OH NO!!!-teeth-3.3.jpg   What fell out of my Primary Hole...OH NO!!!-teeth-2.2.jpg   What fell out of my Primary Hole...OH NO!!!-teeth-1.1.jpg  
Old 06-29-2012, 07:20 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

While were waiting for the master wrenches to chime in......Look at the bright side of it, that pc of metal bouncing around in there coulda done a lot of damage ......make sure nothing else sustained any damage. Could you hear anything that would give you any indication there was something going on in there? What mileage interval you using for fluid changes and what fluid you using? I know the inside of that primary case is a furnace.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:43 AM
cabowabodude
Cruiser

I thought I could hear something that did not seem normal to me. Almost like a ping sound. I usually do my fluid changes (Synthetic, gear lube) at 5K but this time I've been riding in warmer weather, and I also did a trip to Vegas and back 4K in 4 days. So I figured I would check it early.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:49 AM
aces25
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even the wear on the teeth still attached doesn't look to good - almost like poor material or poor hardening. How many miles do you have on the bike?

Old 06-29-2012, 07:52 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,921 Likes on 8,432 Posts

Dang, you've been doing some serious starter slamming on that bike. Did you accidentally hit the starter while the bike was running?
Anyway, if you have the shop manual, it's not that hard of a job to do. You will need a couple special tools though to do it. Probably should ask around to other riders for them. At least ya wouldn't need to pull the primary case off, but ya do need to remove the primary chain.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:52 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

I would do a youtube search, everytime Im getting ready to do a project I look for a video on youtube ( I seem to get it if I can see it being done), I know make up your own joke there but that would apply as well LOL.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:08 AM
cabowabodude
Cruiser

The bike has 40K on it. The starter was not hooking up right and I just thought it was due to a weak battery and no compression release valves. It's a 103 stage II with 255 cams.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:46 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Before you yank that clutch basket I'd check the chain tension, & probably order a new chain along with the basket/ring gear. You're gonna want to inspect the compensator sprocket too.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:59 AM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

maybe have CR's put in....?
I had hot start issues on my 07 103 build no CR's were put in but it would have been the best thing to do to resolve starting issues.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:03 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This is JMO based on building engines. Compression releases, auto or manual (CR's) are recommended by HD for SE 255 cams (especially 103" >)because of the high cold cranking pressures (CCP >200) generated by these cams. Also starter kick back is a problem that gets exacerbated by the weak stock compensator. If higher compression pistons were used (other than stock) then the problem gets multiplied. A banging sound when starting the motor hot should have been your first clue. CR's and a SE compensator should have been installed at the time of the Stg II. Do a search on the starter kick back sound and SE comp installations, along with CR's.

Consider putting in an SE comp and CR's before running the bike again. Get another opinion from someone else knowledgeable in engine builds in your area about what I have referred to.

Quick Reply: What fell out of my Primary Hole...OH NO!!!