Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

P

Old 08-14-2012, 10:21 AM
Road Master
Default Red Wing vs. HD

Man, i just recently switched my riding boots from HD to a pair of Red Wings.....I think i can safely say that i will never wear a pair of HD boots again. Just throwing it out there because i never really considered any other boots than HD, so you guys taht are the same, shop around a little bit, the differences are great!

I'm sure there's other brands that are just as good, but these Red Wing's rock solid.

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.

2009 FLHX
2003 FXDL - gone.
1999 XL1200C - gone.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:25 AM
Elite HDF Member

I love my Red Wing MC boots. But I have to say my old HD boots have held up really well.
'99 FLHR, Vivid Black, Stage 2 Carb, Andrews 21 cams/SE Hydraulic Tensioners, SE Air Cleaner, HD Performance Touring 65259-00 or SE 65115-98B Mufflers on stock headpipe, Corbin Dualtourer Seat, Michilen Commander II Tires, DETACHABLE EVERYTHING!
Old 08-14-2012, 10:31 AM
Club Member
Mike Marler

I have three pairs of US-made Red Wings, they take a bit of work to break in, but the payoff is well worth the effort.

2007 FLHP with some mods. 100% home built

Dress like men. Wrench like monkeys.
And ride like mf-ers.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:34 AM
Prospect

What style of Red Wing boots do you have?
Old 08-14-2012, 10:37 AM
Road Warrior
Send a message via AIM to glide2meetu

Red Wing makes a great product. Can take a while depending on the shoe to break in but comfortable for sure...

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.
T.S. Eliot
Old 08-14-2012, 10:39 AM
Outstanding HDF Member
Send a message via Yahoo to rochkes

Wolverine used to make the boots for HD, I am not sure if they still do or not.

Wolverine used to be one of the best boots for the money you could buy. They are not anymore. They are cheap both in quality and price now.

Red Wings are fine boots. Their boots and shoes are about all I ever wear. Red Wing has many U.S. made high quality boots and shoes for sale, but they are slowly putting out more and more chinese made products in their line.

I am not very fond of the chinese products Red Wing is selling.

Dennis
94hp 116tq
Old 08-14-2012, 10:42 AM
Ultimate HDF Member

I wear Red Wings for work. My company buys me a pair every year. When I get a new pair, I use the old pair for riding. Red Wing Pecos slip on is what I wear

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy ****...what a ride!"" ---- Mavis Leyrer
Old 08-14-2012, 10:45 AM
Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Joe View Post
What style of Red Wing boots do you have?
868 is the number, not sure of the name. They are in the irish setter line....I'm not an expert, so not sure what that line represents other than they are very comfortable off the shelf, not alot of break in time. I am sorry to say that the tag says made in china.

not to mention the guys in the red wing store took some time to actually help me out and measure everythign properly as opposed to some of the yahoos sellign other shoes/boots.

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.

2009 FLHX
2003 FXDL - gone.
1999 XL1200C - gone.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:49 AM
Road Warrior

Wife bought me a pair of HD "frankenstein" boots - they look like something Frankenstein monster would wear, that's why I call them that. They are holding up fine but they are made in China. I only use them as work boots because they are only a 6" boot and that's too short for me - I like taller boots. Never tried Red Wings but heard good things about them. I have some US made Justins I wear now, but the soles are too slick and it's difficult to get traction on some surfaces.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:52 AM
One Of The Regulars

unless you have flat feet....get the Red Wing mold-able inserts(about $50) throw them in the oven for a couple of minutes, then slap them in your boots and walk around for a minute... if you aren't used to actually having arch supported you will think they are weird for the first day.. after you get used to your arch being supported you will love them... now I put them in every pair of Red Wing work boots I buy.. and my wife gets them for her Vasque tennis shoe or hiking boots for her daily wear.
I just wish that Red Wing actually made a cool looking "biker" boot like the HD stuff instead of a plain black slip on or a black logging boot...... but I may just have to jump the fence if my HD ones get much more "character".... When you come from wearing Red Wings all day every day and put on the HD ones you can tell they are RIDING boots not WALKING boots.... LOL
V&H Dresser Duals
Rush 2 1/4" (packing removed)
S.E. Pro Tuner
DARK SIDE
Old 08-14-2012, 10:52 AM

P