Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accessory wires to battery terminal

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 12:22 PM
Cougar1959
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Accessory wires to battery terminal

I tried "search", but could not find anything. I have 5 accessory wires, individually, going to my battery terminals. Is there a way to have these 5 wires, tied together, so you only have one connection hooked to the battery terminal? It is very cluttered, with 5 single battery connections, going to each terminal. I have limited electrical knowledge, so I just want to make sure, I don't blow anything.

Thanks, for any help.

The following users liked this post:
PhillySoldier (02-08-2021)
Old 09-07-2012, 12:46 PM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

you could crimp them all into one lug..

Old 09-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Fast Aire
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go to an auto or electrical store and get a terminal with a hole in the wire attachment blade big enough to put all the wires into. The terminal size would depend on the wire guages youre putting into it. I would suggest using solder to make sure of a good connection. Be sure to insulate the Pos side to prevent possible future issues.

But, putting 5 wires into one terminal is not for the unexperienced mechanic so if possible, you'd be better off getting a local Indy shop to do it for you.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:16 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I would also solder and heatshrink the wires in place once crimped, as you don't want one or more to work their way loose in time. Remember, Murphy is up there somewhere, waiting.... Remember the 15th corollary to Murphy's Law is "An electrical connection will fail at the most inopportune time and farthest distance away from accessible tools."

The problem with clumping them into one connector is if you ever want to eliminate one you must disassemble the group and redo it. I have three (IIRC) extra connections at the battery and use a longer bolt, as that many extra ring connectors may tax the threads on the battery by reducing the number that are used. When I remove them I make a count so I'll make sure they all get put back in place.

Last edited by iclick; 09-07-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:33 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

It's easy to do it with the negative side because there's no danger of a short if ground is touched. I've done this with a simple lug connector and a short length of heavy guage wire. The positive side presents problems in that it must be extremely well insulated to prevent shorts. My winter project will involve installing a remote fuse panel from Eastern Beaver, thereby eliminating any doubt about shorts and cleaning up the wire mess.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:38 PM
bdjhog
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could also look into a distribution block

Old 09-07-2012, 02:13 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

A bus bar or distribution block would be the best but there is not too much room to do this. I have the same dilemma and have found the newer replacement batteries have 2 terminal screw holes in both posts so you can add terminals. If you have an abundance of ground terminals, follow the neg cable down the frame and you will see a frame ground lug where you can move some of those wires off the battery.

Old 09-07-2012, 02:19 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bdjhog
You could also look into a distribution block
distribution block is best...most auto parts store sell them and some have individual fuses.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:09 PM
Peculierboy
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Eastern Beaver make some nice stuff for bikes.
http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Pr...fuseboxes.html

Old 09-07-2012, 03:17 PM
meyhem
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check "evil"bay, look for car audio installation blocks.
Just bought something, I hope will work. Also need to move that hunk-o-wires from battery post.

Quick Reply: Accessory wires to battery terminal