Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Hammock Demo

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 10:09 PM
J_ULTRA
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Harley Hammock Demo

I've only had my 11 Ultra for about 6 months but it didn't take long to find out that on a long ride (more than a couple of hours) my tailbone and butt would start to become uncomfortable with the stock seat. With the stock seat shifting my weight around was very limited. Back in the day when motorcycle seats were flatter they were more conducive to some movement fore and aft when things got a little uncomfortable. Harley's bucket type seat seems to lock you into one position, and that position for me is not the best for long distance comfort. I have an "Airhawk" seat pad that I used to use on my Heritage Springer and it worked very well. On the Ultra it was "ok" but (no pun intended) it was kind of a hassle to secure. After reading numerous posts here on HD Forums I decided to go to my local Harley dealer and "demo" the Harley Hammock. I would say most everything I've read here about the comfort is true. It is flatter than stock so you can move around a little if you need to but I found that I rarely needed to move about. The cushioning and the "Hammock" suspension really works well. After about 2 1/2hrs out I still had no discomfort at all (not that long I understand but long enough). The ergonomics of the seat position you more on the back of the thighs than on your tailbone. This not only takes the weight off the tailbone but forces you to ride in such a position that is actually conducive to the handling of the bike. That part was a surprise. For me the positioning allowed me to ride with more slightly forward posture which made it easier for me to navigate through curves and around corners, just like in the old days when flatter seats were used. Obviously the seat has been engineered for long distance comfort, proper weight distribution, and proper "no slouch" type of riding posture. I felt support where I needed it. Another plus is the fact that the passenger portion is a bit lower than stock thus slightly lowering the center of gravity when carrying a passenger. While the passenger portion seemed a little lower the driver portion seems about an inch or so taller. I noticed my feet are not as flat on the ground as they were with the stock seat. I also felt myself "irked" thinking that this is the seat that Harley-Davidson should put on as stock without having to buy it separately or moving up to a CVO Ultra, but of course thats Harley-Davidson. This seat truely transformed my Ultra into a luxury Morotcycle that was much more pleasurable to ride. However, I don't see myself paying $900.00 for the heated version (overkill and I can't remember when my butt ever got cold.) but I do see myself absoulutely getting the non heated version...when it's on sale. Anyway those are some of my thoughts on my weekend with the Hammock.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:01 PM
North Star
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the review- well done with the specific points that you made.

I ended up trying quite a few seats with no luck finding the comfort I was looking for. While on recent trip in the US, I ended up having to pick up a Sundowner to get me home, as I needed to mail back a seat that I had to return while State side. I actually found the Sundowner more comfy than my previous Corbin, Mustang, Ultimate, and Danny Gray Airhawk seats. Ironic, for sure- probably the cheapest of all aftermarket seats.

I'll have to give the Sundowner more time to confirm this (plus the BSR hasn't tried it yet), but I think I will also try a demo Hammock since there is nothing to lose by doing so. There sure are a lot of positive reviews on them.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:13 PM
J_ULTRA
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Seat comfort is very subjective. I expect that the "Road Zepplin" air bladder seat is also very comfy for the long haul. It is a very large seat, however and to me it just looked too lounge chair over padded for everyday use. I actually feel the Hammock adds to the look of the bike over the stock seat. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:00 AM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

mustang.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:53 PM
jbkrab
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Heated Hammock Seat and for me it is a very comfortable seat. Most miles in a day for me was 460 miles and there was no way I could have done it on the stock seat. it's a bit pricey but well worth it in my opinion. Plus I love the heat option on cool mornings.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:01 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

It is a very comfy seat for my bad back and my apparently sensitive Tailbone.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:08 PM
Scarz
Road Master
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Just finished a 1084 mile trip over three days on the stock seat. My one thought all the way home, "I need a new seat". I will definitely ask my dealer about demo'ing a Hammock seat. I have a trip planned for Thursday that will only be about 175 miles, but maybe long enough to help make the decision. I saw guys on the ride with an AirHawk that were shifting around as much as me.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:11 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the write up on the hammock seat. Saw those at the dealer yesterday.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:14 PM
Copyless
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can tell you that I sent my stock seat to MCC to get it DD and other things done. Since I knew that I was going to ship it to them, and I ride basically 12 months of the year, I bought a Hammock seat. Needless to say, I am sure my MCC modded seat is wonderful, but I honestly don't know, because it is still in the box just the way it was shipped back. The Hammock seat is wonderful and rides for hours with no problems.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:19 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Any side view photos of the seat on your bikes? Thinking of taking the Corbin off and getting another seat

Quick Reply: Harley Hammock Demo