Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder Base Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 07:28 PM
Joe13SG
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder Base Oil Leak

I have a 13' Street Glide with 560 miles on it and today I noticed oil leaking from both cylinders at the base of the cylinder. It's a small leak at this point and I am concerned that if I continue to ride it, it will get worse. I have not ridden it hard since it's still breaking in.
I called the dealership and made an appointment to bring it in to get it checked out. Has anybody heard of this happening on a twin cam? i know it was an issue with Evo's.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:34 PM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Give it a wash with some S100 and see if it's actually a leak. Factory uses something during assembly process that been known to seep from that area on new bikes the first few times they heat cycle.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:35 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe13SG
I have a 13' Street Glide with 560 miles on it and today I noticed oil leaking from both cylinders at the base of the cylinder. It's a small leak at this point and I am concerned that if I continue to ride it, it will get worse...
Not an uncommon issue.

For the most part, probably just a bit too much lube was used on initial assembly and the oil is weeping out between the jugs and base.

If the base just appears to be slightly wet, I would just watch it and ride it.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:37 PM
redman2636
Cruiser

I wouldn't worry about riding it. It's covered. Ride the crap out of it.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:40 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

It's most likely just leftover oil from assembly, a few others have found the same thing in the first 1K. Let the dealer make note of it & clean the area thoroughly & I'm betting it won't come back. The EVOs used a base gasket while the TCs use an O-ring, I pretty sure you're worried about nothing.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:05 PM
VineRider
Cruiser

it will go away. My 2011 ultra did this when new. The o rings weep a bit getting excess oil out from assembly. Mine stopped weeping after about 1k miles

Old 09-17-2012, 08:29 PM
piesik650
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it don't plan some upgrades and get some motor work for free under warranty. heads, push rods, pistons, cams. all that they got to mess with to fix it if it is leaking. but if it seals up. great!

Old 09-17-2012, 08:34 PM
Nicky Pass
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Same thing happened to my 2012. At about 250 miles I noticed a little seepage, so I wiped it with a little S100 and it went away and hasn't come back. Too much on assembly is what I think.....and was told.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:42 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts

Been numerous post of it coming out under the head bolts. Enough to spread out over the flat black paint. Looks white looking then. In most cases was assembly lube. Goes away after couple cleanups and heat cycles. Let us know what you find out. Take a few pictures and post before you carry it in for future reference for everyone.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:48 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe13SG
I have a 13' Street Glide with 560 miles on it and today I noticed oil leaking from both cylinders at the base of the cylinder. It's a small leak at this point and I am concerned that if I continue to ride it, it will get worse. I have not ridden it hard since it's still breaking in.
I called the dealership and made an appointment to bring it in to get it checked out. Has anybody heard of this happening on a twin cam? i know it was an issue with Evo's.
If the dealer knows what's going on he will tell you it is a protective coating the engine comes with and when it gets hot a few times it bleeds down and collects below cylinder heads. He will explain that to you, clean it up and send you down the road. If he is like other dealers, he will tear the motor apart and seal it, clean it up and send you down the road. I would prefer dealer #1.

Quick Reply: Cylinder Base Oil Leak