Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What gasket for this Derby cover?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 08:29 PM
plutnicki
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Default What gasket for this Derby cover?

I had a custom derby cover engraved for my bike. The designer used HD Part Number 60769-06. I know there are at least of models of derby covers that will fit, but use different gaskets. I'm going to swing by a dealership to pick up some chrome screws, can anyone tell me what gasket to get to properly install that derby cover to my '12 Glide? I presume I will need a new gasket, and not just re-use the one that's there.

Thanks in advance (yes, I will post pictures, the thread would be worthless without it).

Old 09-21-2012, 08:40 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

OEM derby cover uses o-ring style, all aftermarket ones use the pancake style.

I looked for that part number on hd.com, not found.

If it uses the o-ring style, it will be easy to tell, there will be a slot for it that runs around the perimeter, if there isnt a slot, it uses the pancake style

Last edited by Keithhu; 09-21-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:48 PM
Verbal
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
OEM derby cover uses o-ring style, all aftermarket ones use the pancake style.

I looked for that part number on hd.com, not found.

If it uses the o-ring style, it will be easy to tell, there will be a slot for it that runs around the perimeter, if there isnt a slot, it uses the pancake style
That's strange. My last oil change the dealer sold me the pancake. When I took the derby off I had the o-ring. I had to use the pancake because when I took the o-ring off to wipe it, it wouldn't fit back in. The o-ring was too big.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:49 PM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Most likely you will need the flat gasket part number 25416-99C. The easiest way to tell is if the mounting surface is flat or if it is cut with a groove for the o-ring.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:52 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Verbal
That's strange. My last oil change the dealer sold me the pancake. When I took the derby off I had the o-ring. I had to use the pancake because when I took the o-ring off to wipe it, it wouldn't fit back in. The o-ring was too big.
You arent supposed to re-use the o-ring.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:05 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Some Harley part derby covers use the pancake gasket too. Just not the covers from the factory.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:06 PM
Verbal
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen many posts here saying that you can reuse the o-ring. If I'm not mistaken, even Fix My Hog DVD's say you can reuse it. Hmmm....

Old 09-21-2012, 09:11 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,349 Likes on 3,281 Posts

I've seen many posts here saying that you can reuse the o-ring. If I'm not mistaken, even Fix My Hog DVD's say you can reuse it. Hmmm....
72500 on mine and on my 2nd gasket because they took it under warranty...

Old 09-21-2012, 09:12 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

If you have an o-ring (or quad ring, or whatever you want to call it) groove in either the cover or the primary case itself, then use the o-ring. If not, then use the gasket.

The ring stretches with use, but you can usually work it into place with a little persuasion and patience.

I have one bike with 80,000 miles and another with 33,000, both with 5,000 mile change intervals, and I have never replaced the original o-ring on either of them.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:17 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2black1s
If you have an o-ring (or quad ring, or whatever you want to call it) groove in either the cover or the primary case itself, then use the o-ring. If not, then use the gasket.

The ring stretches with use, but you can usually work it into place with a little persuasion and patience.

I have one bike with 80,000 miles and another with 33,000, both with 5,000 mile change intervals, and I have never replaced the original o-ring on either of them.
Yeah, I'm sure its fine to re-use, I just figure for a few bucks get a new one and help support your local HD owner's college fund.

Quick Reply: What gasket for this Derby cover?