Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help with F/M PCV retro-fit to '07 Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 08:41 AM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 578 Likes on 305 Posts
Default Need some help with F/M PCV retro-fit to '07 Ultra

I am hoping to get a good ride in this weekend (expecting low 90’s on the thermometer) and need some help configuring the maps. I know I can get support from Fuel Moto that will take a few days and that won't help me today. So for you guys that understand the fuel tables I have some questions and I hope you will be able to shed some light on my problem.

Here is my setup;

Stock 96" with Stage 1 consisting of:
V & H True Duals with Rinehart Slip-ons
Screamin' Eagle Air Cleaner
PCV Retrofit from Fuel Moto

History:
Bought bike in Summer of '11 with 20K on the clock.
Bike had Stage 1 C/O: Stock headers, Rinehart Slip-ons, Air Cleaner above and Factory Stage 1 download.
I put about 10K miles on it and then earlier this year the stock header "Y" pipe cracked and I put the V&H headers on.
Bike ran good but eventually, in the high heat of summer, I developed moderate to severe pinging so I decided to put the PCV on.
Bike ran better but had moderate decel pop, occasional VERY LOUD backfire and still a little pinging.

With the map I'm running now most of the decel pop is gone and I haven’t noticed any pinging (however the beastly heat of summer is behind us now) BUT the bike seems to be running VERY HOT. I mean even in 80 degree ambient temps (yesterday) I am feeling more heat than ever before, especially my left leg, it gets so hot I can't stand it. I have to keep both legs as far from the engine as I can in order to be quasi comfortable. And forget about resting both legs on the ground at a stoplight. Constantly shifting one or the other to maintain some level of comfort. It has taken the joy out of riding so that is why I need some help today.

BTW, I put my IR Thermo on the cylinder heads right after a recent ride:
Front: around 230-250 depending on where you target.
Rear: around 330-350 depending on where you target!!! I understand the rear will get hotter due to airflow but 350 degrees is the temperature at which aluminum is Stress Relieved. That’s startling.

So here is my question: Obviously a good tune on the Dyno would be ideal but that’s not in my immediate future and since I don’t have any knowledge of messing with the fuel tables, I did do a little comparison with the numbers just to compare tables. Here is what I found by doing a copy and paste into Excel.

The original map they sent me shows a total fuel numbers of 1122 front and 1689 rear.
A revised map they sent me shows: Front 1668, Rear 2235. These numbers are simply the totals from all cells and I am not good enough with Excel to isolate the differences with each cell in the table. I suppose I could print them out and visually compare each cell for values but I don’t know what good that would do me. So I am throwing this out to you guys who may have already been down this path and hope you can give me some direction.

Oh, one last thing, my fuel mileage has dropped from a very consistent 40 MPG to around 36, FWTW.

Thanks,
Dan

Old 10-27-2012, 10:22 AM
RoadGlideGary
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Pcv

This won't be the immediate help you are looking for. I would recommend on going to the PCV "help" tab in your software or the dynojet web site and learn how to modify the map you have. There are fuel tables and there are AFR tables. The fuel tables are the +/- percentage the bike is adding or reducing to meet the afr tables (front and rear). Both tables are related to rpm and throttle.
Unless you have a AT unit I don't think you can modify the AFR tables so you would only be able to modify the trims, or % of fuel added or reduced. FM maps are typically very very close to your results of a Dyno. Maybe check your front and rear exhaust gaskets too - could be they loosened up? Ride safe and often.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:53 AM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 578 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by meachamgw
Maybe check your front and rear exhaust gaskets too - could be they loosened up? Ride safe and often.
Actually, I didn't personally install the headers since the bike was in the shop already for some tranny issues, my Indy mechanic installed them. A few weeks ago, when still having alot of decel pop I checked the header bolts and in fact all 4 were only snug with the inner rear hardly cinched at all. I tightened them by hand, no torque wrench and that may have contributed to the minimizing of the decel pop.

With regards to getting info from the Dynojet website, I am a bit reluctant because since they don't make a PCV for the '07's I don't know how reliable any info I get would be. There are obvious differences between the PCIII and V. I will see what I can get from FM's website. I have re-loaded the first map they sent me and hope that will cool things down.

Thanks for the reply.

Would appreciate any further comments.