Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas cap clicks when tightening

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 07:16 AM
CHIPPDOG77
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas cap clicks when tightening

See how many people will get all technical and smart assedy. HAVE A GREAT DAY EVERYONE!

Old 11-14-2012, 07:22 AM
CWO USN
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"Complex systems are systems that do not have a centralizing authority and are not designed from a known specification, but instead involve disparate stakeholders creating systems that are functional for other purposes and are only brought together in the complex system because the individual “agents” of the system see such cooperation as being beneficial for them." - Complexity Theory and SE.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:26 AM
Gearhead3
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if this is a serious question or not, but if it is, her's a short explaination. I'm guessing you're referring to the 'ratcheting' it does when you tighten it a certain amount. It's desisned that way because it's a sealed system for evaporative emission reasons. Did you know that if you don't tighten the gas cap on you car or truck that your check engine light will come on? The computer 'reads' that the system isn't sealed anymore and sets a code. I don't know for sure if our bikes will set a code, but the same principal is involved.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:31 AM
Beav
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Beav

Old 11-14-2012, 07:38 AM
dohadex
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Click it

I always rotate until it clicks at least once. Then I know it's tight and gas won't leak out. Ever been riding and forgot to tighten it?

Old 11-14-2012, 07:40 AM
CHIPPDOG77
Cruiser

Thank you Gearhead3. Some people on here are great at providing informative answers,you for example. I know why it does it just wanting to get everyone in a happy mood for the day with a jokey post. Smile on people.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:42 AM
CHIPPDOG77
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dohadex
I always rotate until it clicks at least once. Then I know it's tight and gas won't leak out. Ever been riding and forgot to tighten it?

When i worked at the stealership I sold three to five caps a week, except bike week,then sold 10 to 15 a week. lol

Old 11-14-2012, 07:42 AM
PopsHD
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts

I'll play along and share a funny (to me) story. I had to stop and get gas on the way home from work a few days ago. As I always do, I placed the gas cap on top of the pump and proceeded to fill 'er up. About 5 days days later, I'm on a ride with a buddy and he needs to get gas. I figure I should go ahead and top my off just for good measure. I still had about a 1/4 of a tank. I unlock the gas cap cover and to my surprise.... no gas cap. WTH? On our ride back we passed an HD shop so I stop and purchase another one. I then remembered where I got gas last. I rode over to the gas station and there it was.... my gas cap still sitting on top of the pump. Wish I had gone to check before spending $20 on a new cap. At least I have a backup for when (not if) I do that again.

So the moral of this boring (to you) story is..... gas caps don't click when tightening if you don't put them back on.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:48 AM
Gearhead3
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CHIPPDOG77
Thank you Gearhead3. Some people on here are great at providing informative answers,you for example. I know why it does it just wanting to get everyone in a happy mood for the day with a jokey post. Smile on people.
I kinda figure as much, but still, we have some individuals on here who are very green and I'd hate to pass up an opportunity to help someone asking so simple a question. We can be a tough crowd at times. LOL Maybe we should rename today 'Whimsical Wednesday"

Last edited by Gearhead3; 11-14-2012 at 07:50 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:51 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

everything on a harley makes noise even the gas cap

Quick Reply: Gas cap clicks when tightening