Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Detach Tourpak

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 11:49 AM
Guzz
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Quick Detach Tourpak

Am doing the Quick Detach TourPak and have ordered the following:

LSHD - #53246-09A Detachable Tourpak kit - $459.96
includes license bracket and AM/FM antenna relocation kit
LSHD - #70032-09 Quick disconnect harness - $63.96
includes harness for lighting and CB antenna relocation kit
Great Plains Electronics - Crimper (w/shipping) - $34.15
WireCare.com - (3) 6-pin Deutsch assemblies - $69.16
for speaker cables (ordered 1 extra just in case)

With Free shipping from LSHD the total comes to $627.23. I think I have all of the bases covered. Can you think of anything I have missed?

Am going to do the antenna relocation because I have tried 3 in-fairing antennas with no luck. They all have static when my LED headlight is on. As for the license plate mount, I want to go with over-the-taillight because I recently put on a moco LED taillight with window on top. Anyone know of a good laydown bracket that fits above the tail-light?

Old 12-05-2012, 12:39 PM
56tbird
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like you should be set...
When I do mine, I'm only buying the 4 point detach hardware and the detach tourpak mount from HD...cost from surdyke, about 280 plus shipping.
I'm going to use a fairing mount am/fm antenna and splice the cb antenna with a bnc male/female...I never use the cb, so I won't worry about it when the TP is off. I'll also go the Deutsch connector route for the speaker wires and tour pak lights...As far as the license plate re-location, I'll use the softbrake re-locator with a ness plate frame and get a '08 or earlier street glide taillight lens with the light window on the bottom.

Doing the above, i can skip the antenna re-location, and the god-awful looking HD license plate re-lo...

Old 12-05-2012, 02:28 PM
Guzz
Tourer

Originally Posted by 56tbird
Looks like you should be set...
When I do mine, I'm only buying the 4 point detach hardware and the detach tourpak mount from HD...cost from surdyke, about 280 plus shipping.
I'm going to use a fairing mount am/fm antenna and splice the cb antenna with a bnc male/female...I never use the cb, so I won't worry about it when the TP is off. I'll also go the Deutsch connector route for the speaker wires and tour pak lights...As far as the license plate re-location, I'll use the softbrake re-locator with a ness plate frame and get a '08 or earlier street glide taillight lens with the light window on the bottom.

Doing the above, i can skip the antenna re-location, and the god-awful looking HD license plate re-lo...
I was going to go that route but found that the docking hardware, plus the tourpak mount PLUS the fender support covers cost as much as the whole kit. If you do not get the fender support covers, you will have the big slots in yours where the stock tourpak support brackets come through. Don't forget the fender support covers if you want those slots to be gone. Good luck with your project.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:43 PM
DHubbs
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Your stock whip antenna can be ty-rapped inside inside your fairing to your radio or fairing mount brackets. It fits fine inside there and works great. I had problems with the aftermarket antennas picking up static off my fans so I did this. The kit you ordered will include a short section of coax that you can use to attach the antenna to the radio.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:00 PM
yowflhtk
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Guzz
Am doing the Quick Detach TourPak and have ordered the following:

LSHD - #53246-09A Detachable Tourpak kit - $459.96
includes license bracket and AM/FM antenna relocation kit
LSHD - #70032-09 Quick disconnect harness - $63.96
includes harness for lighting and CB antenna relocation kit
Great Plains Electronics - Crimper (w/shipping) - $34.15
WireCare.com - (3) 6-pin Deutsch assemblies - $69.16
for speaker cables (ordered 1 extra just in case)

With Free shipping from LSHD the total comes to $627.23. I think I have all of the bases covered. Can you think of anything I have missed?

Am going to do the antenna relocation because I have tried 3 in-fairing antennas with no luck. They all have static when my LED headlight is on. As for the license plate mount, I want to go with over-the-taillight because I recently put on a moco LED taillight with window on top. Anyone know of a good laydown bracket that fits above the tail-light?

Guzz,

I'm thinking of doing this myself. I thought all that was required was the relocation kit and the quick disconnect harness. Why the deutch connectors? I'm assuming its for the speakers, but why wouldn't H-D have this covered in their kit?

Thanks,.............................martin

Old 12-05-2012, 04:47 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

Let us know how the antennas work out, we've had terrible luck with anything we've tried. It would be nice to find something that worked well for the long trips.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 12-05-2012, 07:03 PM
Guzz
Tourer

Originally Posted by yowflhtk
Guzz,

I'm thinking of doing this myself. I thought all that was required was the relocation kit and the quick disconnect harness. Why the deutch connectors? I'm assuming its for the speakers, but why wouldn't H-D have this covered in their kit?

Thanks,.............................martin
I guess that HD didn't include QD for the speakers because they have a connector that is easy to get to inside the speaker housing. But that leaves too much wire to coil under the seat for my taste.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:47 AM
yowflhtk
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess that HD didn't include QD for the speakers because they have a connector that is easy to get to inside the speaker housing. But that leaves too much wire to coil under the seat for my taste.

Ahhh, get it now. Thanks!

...................martin

Old 12-25-2012, 12:29 AM
Guzz
Tourer

Final Result....

BEFORE

AFTER

Old 12-25-2012, 01:36 AM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 184 Posts

Can you think of anything I have missed?
You need to change the seat. Pick up a one from a Street Glide that someone has changed out.

That big pillow on the back of your bike looks awful without a tourpak.

Quick Reply: Quick Detach Tourpak