Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Navigation Interface Module Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 10:27 AM
1pkraft
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HD Navigation Interface Module Question

Just got the HD NIM kit to use with the Road Tech 660. According to the instructions it shows an audio out cable running to the AUX port on the front of the radio. I've seen several bikes with this kit installed and none of them have a cable connected to the front of the radio. I asked the guys about the installation all said their Dealers did the install and they didn't really know what was connected to what.

I'm pretty sure this is the same kit used on the CVO's and they don't have a cable connected to the front of the radio.

Can anyone shed light on this?

13. Route the audio cable from the Zumo GPS Kit out of the
inner fairing through the hole for the handlebars. Use a
clip from the Zumo kit to retain the cable along the inner
fairing.
NOTE
When installing the jack plug to the radio port socket:

Roll back the outer lip of the rubber seal.
Install the plug into the AUX port on the front of the radio
unit.
Gently roll the seal back to its original shape to form a seal
over the radio unit port.

This will help eliminate "spring-back" of the plug out of the

socket.

14. Plug the 3.5 mm stereo jack (with rubber boot attached)

on the audio cable into the AUX port on the front of the

radio.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:21 AM
Coloradohunter
Tourer

I have that setup with a zumo 665. The plug is required to listen to mp3s or the XM satellite radio (I know the 660 doesn't have XM but...). The radio also has to be in the aux position.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:40 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

If you want to use the SD card that can be put into the 660 you will have to go to the AUX just like the instructions say. This will also let you hear phone calls through your radio and also talk if you are using a headset and are in the AUX mode. The 660 acts as a Bluetooth when paired with a cell phone with bluetooth capabilities. You can also load music directly to the memory of the 660 and listen to it through the AUX.

My dealer did not hook my 660 up that way and I had to take it back when I couldn't get the SD card to play.

Bill

Old 01-09-2013, 03:38 PM
1pkraft
Cruiser

So the NIM just allows the Zumo to interupt the HD radio for directions only?

Old 01-10-2013, 07:43 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

It is what allows the 660 to work through the radio. Without it you would only get sound from the Zumo from the Zumo internal speaker which you cannot rear on the road.

It interupts for directions, but it also puts the sound through the radio, it allows music via its internal memory or an SD card, and it allows bluetooth through your radio. If you do not use the interface you will not get directions or anything else from your radio.

Bill

Old 01-10-2013, 09:56 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,413 Likes on 4,017 Posts

Originally Posted by 1pkraft
So the NIM just allows the Zumo to interupt the HD radio for directions only?
Yes.... you need to plug in the cable for all the other stuff, ie- music & phone from the Zumo.

If you want, Iron Cross Audio will put an 3.5mm RCA jack on the rear of your radio so you can connect the cable without drilling your fairing and plugging it in the front of the radio.... just and FYI..

Old 01-10-2013, 06:33 PM
1pkraft
Cruiser

Originally Posted by hattitude
Yes.... you need to plug in the cable for all the other stuff, ie- music & phone from the Zumo.

If you want, Iron Cross Audio will put an 3.5mm RCA jack on the rear of your radio so you can connect the cable without drilling your fairing and plugging it in the front of the radio.... just and FYI..
I was hoping to do away with the cable going into the front port of the radio. May have to check out Iron Cross.

Thanks

Old 01-11-2013, 08:38 AM
bruceking1961
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put in a 665. I had Iron Cross put in an AUX in the rear of the radio, so that the audio from the GPS didnt have to be routed to the front of the radio. THE GPS will interrupt the radio with instructions. (disclaimer, I have not yet tested this, but its how it supposed to be) Iron cross also has a great ipod module.

You may also want to check out HDBomm www.hdbomm.com
This is an $89 to 99 module that allows your headset mic to work with the GPS for the bluetooth connection to your phone. Without this lil critter, you'd be able to hear calls but not talk.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:41 AM
1pkraft
Cruiser

I like the idea of having the rear Aux port but am a little concerned about voiding the warranty on the radio. Even my Dealer says the radios aren't what they used to be and they have replaced a bunch of them.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:23 AM
Steve Schklar
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2012 Ultra Limited. I have installed my Zumo 665 (not Road Tech) from my old 2008 Ultra Classic. I have also installed the XMRadio kit and the iPod saddlebag kit.

If I plug the zumo into the front AUX I get the zumo commands but have to be on AUX so I cannot listen to radio and get inturrupted with directions from Zumo which is what I want.

I also installed the NAV kit from HD but it does not work. I spoke to Garmin as DLR didn't know why. Garmin says the Road Tech version is different from standard Zumo that is my problem ....... Garmin will not supply a "fix". I'm stuck ....

Any ideas?

Quick Reply: HD Navigation Interface Module Question