Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flakey lifter wear

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 12:01 AM
satman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flakey lifter wear

This is a picture of one of the lifters in my 2012 Road Glide - they all have similar appearances. It looks like a sort of plating that is wearing off in a random pattern but I can't feel any edge to the shiny versus frosted area. I used a virgin x-acto knife blade and dragged it across the edge of the shiny to frosted and vice versus - I can tell you that the frosted area catches the knife blade point frequently but the shiny part that looks like plating does not. The cams look relatively normal as far as wear goes. Now for the question - WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE? I use Mobil one 20W50 VTwin oil.
I am putting in Andrews 57 cams and I want good lifter life.

For you photo bugs out there - taken with a Sony Nex5N using a Micro - Nikkor 55mm 1:3.5 at Asa 100 8 sec time exposure at f32 - great depth of field yes?

Attached Thumbnails Flakey lifter wear-flakey-lifter.jpg  
Old 01-14-2013, 01:01 AM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The main problem with that issue is the hard surfacing is totally gone from the roller wherever you see frost. That's not good at all as it will create abnormal wear on the roller and the cam lobe.

Further, the irregular surface the cam lobe is riding on will now show abnormal wear but as you are replacing the cams not a big deal.

FYI the new lifters are now made in Mexico by the lowest bidder so I would get them changed out with the cams asap. Like right now-- those crumbed flakes are going somewhere in your motor and I hope it's the filter and/or the oil drain plug magnet.

Price of new lifters high to lower are Woods, S&S, Gatermans -- many others also that are made in the good old US of A that I can't recall.

Some use chevy small block lifters but I don't know the spec. Users of those give a thumbs up and they are cheap-- like $15 each as I recall.
You could do a search and find out more info.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:09 AM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i gotta remember the chevy lifters part number...

Old 01-14-2013, 03:56 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gm lifter part number 17122490. I'm a dealer tech and they cost me 120 bucks for 4. Pretty satisfied with the performance of them. If I had it to do over, probably would have went with the s&s. The suffix "b" Hd lifters are the best from Harley. The suffix "c" lifters are the Mexican made garbage. From what I've seen, the op has the most common "c" lifter problem...

Old 01-14-2013, 04:23 AM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by jus2anoyu
Gm lifter part number 17122490. I'm a dealer tech and they cost me 120 bucks for 4. Pretty satisfied with the performance of them. If I had it to do over, probably would have went with the s&s. The suffix "b" Hd lifters are the best from Harley. The suffix "c" lifters are the Mexican made garbage. From what I've seen, the op has the most common "c" lifter problem...
thanks man. i went with woods lifters this time around but ill use the gm lifters as an option for customers

Old 01-14-2013, 04:36 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stupid_rope
thanks man. i went with woods lifters this time around but ill use the gm lifters as an option for customers
Fwiw, I had to go 4 turns from zero to get em quiet...

Old 01-14-2013, 05:45 AM
dohadex
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bearing wear

Originally Posted by satman
This is a picture of one of the lifters in my 2012 Road Glide - they all have similar appearances. It looks like a sort of plating that is wearing off in a random pattern but I can't feel any edge to the shiny versus frosted area. I used a virgin x-acto knife blade and dragged it across the edge of the shiny to frosted and vice versus - I can tell you that the frosted area catches the knife blade point frequently but the shiny part that looks like plating does not. The cams look relatively normal as far as wear goes. Now for the question - WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE? I use Mobil one 20W50 VTwin oil.
I am putting in Andrews 57 cams and I want good lifter life.

For you photo bugs out there - taken with a Sony Nex5N using a Micro - Nikkor 55mm 1:3.5 at Asa 100 8 sec time exposure at f32 - great depth of field yes?
If this is a 2012 lifter, I can't imagine what my 2010 must look like. The wear you show on this lifter shows the lack of quality HD has allowed to creep into the inventory based on cost vs. longevity factors. It's a toss up. They are using sub-standard parts from off-shore vendors (yes...low cost Mexican manufacturing) that simply lack the quality control a US based company would have.

Thank you for displaying the lifter via excellent quality photo. Will you be able to show the cam lobes as well? This would be where the truth lies.

Cheers.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:54 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

from the picture it looks like the lifter had a coating of moly on it and it is just wearing off...

Old 01-14-2013, 06:57 AM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by jus2anoyu
Fwiw, I had to go 4 turns from zero to get em quiet...
appreciate it

Old 01-14-2013, 07:00 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by stupid_rope
I got 16 of those LS1 lifters. Need to start sellin em to buddies doing cams. HD ones dont look good.

Quick Reply: Flakey lifter wear