Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me understand what's going on here

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 03:33 PM
NewJackCiti
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me understand what's going on here

I have been noticing for the last month or so when I lean into a left hand turn , even at a gradual rate of speed (40mph) I start to feel a wobble or shimmy from the front end ...its not that pronounced but I am concerned that something worse could happen down the road . Has anyone else experienced this on their EG Classic or or Limited 2009 and up?

I added new tires front and rear about 3000 miles ago and they are great. It only seems to happen when making a left turn say onto a side street or around a gradual corner....I am wondering if at higher speeds it may be uncontrollable? Thanks in advance to any input.

DC in NC

Old 02-06-2013, 03:35 PM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

I would start with inspecting your tire very closely, followed by checking the bearings in the front wheel.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:35 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Did you check your air pressures?

Old 02-06-2013, 03:39 PM
ratdoc
Tourer

How many miles do you have? Do you hear any sound from the wheel when turning left? Could it be the wheel bearings?

Old 02-06-2013, 03:47 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,193 Likes on 2,457 Posts

Originally Posted by rwhisen
I would start with inspecting your tire very closely, followed by checking the bearings in the front wheel.
and then the steering neck bearings.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:50 PM
NewJackCiti
Advanced

Nope...no sound in the wheel at all and I only feel it in the handlebars. as far as air pressure , both tires are filled with nitrogen and have not experienced any loss in pressure...just turned 20k on the speedo ..so do bearings just go out like that , I will have to take a look.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:08 PM
Sagido
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steering head bearings could be out of adjustment? Or bad?

Old 02-06-2013, 04:15 PM
the warden
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NewJackCiti
Nope...no sound in the wheel at all and I only feel it in the handlebars. as far as air pressure , both tires are filled with nitrogen and have not experienced any loss in pressure...just turned 20k on the speedo ..so do bearings just go out like that , I will have to take a look.
Some go in far fewer miles others go till hell freezes over. With this few miles I suspect its a bad wheel bearing, but you should check out the steering head bearing as well for both wear or adjustment. Ask yourself when was the last time you greased the steering head bearing and do you use a power washer on your bike. These things are deadly on bearing if you spray directly at them when you wash your bike. In either case you will need to get the front wheel off the ground and carefully check both sets of bearings for noise and or play.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:59 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3000 is not a lot on the front tyre, but the symptom you describe is fairly classic for cupping on the tyre. It sucks when you lose confidence in the handling

Old 02-06-2013, 05:51 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,251 Likes on 814 Posts

From what I've read/learned of these bikes, I'd be suspicious of the rear swingarm bushings. I've had other bikes with sloppy/worn swingarm bushings, and even broken swing arms. It doesn't always feel like the rear end wiggling. It can set up a wiggling that you feel in the handlebars.

Quick Reply: Help me understand what's going on here