Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HF table lift and wheel removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 11:11 AM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts
Default HF table lift and wheel removal

There was a recent informative post about the HF table lift, use of chocks, tie-downs, and side extensions, that I didn't want to hi-jack with this question. A few months ago I got the HF table lift but have not used it. 2 back surgeries and trying to recover, but that's a different posting. Before I got "grounded, I purchases 2 Michelin Commander II that are in the garage waiting to be installed. I still need to ride off about 1K miles, but that will work out fine since I will have to take short rides till I get my back and legs up to par.

Now the question. I also purchased a small HF scissors jack tho raise one end or the other of the bike. To remove the rear wheel is pretty straight forward, ride it on the lift, into the wheel chock, run some straps in the front, put the scissors just under the rear of the frame and then I have clearance, remove the lift panel and then remove the rear wheel.

How is it recommended to remove the front wheel while on the lift. Is there a convenient way to have the bike on the lift and remove both wheels. I also have a jack that I suppose I could put under the bike while it's on the lift to raise the front and rear together.

Looking for suggestions, thanks.

I am going to pull the wheels and have the local dealer install my tires and it would be helpful to make just 1 trip.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:05 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Removing both wheels with bike on a lift in my opinion is not advisable. There will be those who have done it chiming in however......

Old 04-02-2013, 12:15 PM
northeastconfederate
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TUCCI
Removing both wheels with bike on a lift in my opinion is not advisable. There will be those who have done it chiming in however......
Secure this bike with the front wheel in the vise, strapped down as normal. Jack up the rear, then support the frame on blocks (wood - such as 4x4's or a 6x6 and a 4x4, or whatever works - just make sure it's stable). Then, loosen your straps & jack up the front. If your jack locks, lock it. If not, secure the bike on blocks & tighten straps down again. Then remove wheel vise for access to the front wheel. Nothing whatsoever unsafe about doing this. When tied down on blocks the bike is very secure.