Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel line quick disconnect fied

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 08:37 PM
StreetGliderRider
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Fuel line quick disconnect fied

So, I swap out my tank from a 5 gal. to a 6 gal and after completion don't you know the chrome coupler was leaking. After a few choice words, I turn to one place thatIknow has the answer (no not the stealer) HD FORUM. There is a rubber o-ring inside the coupler that could dry up or get pinched while re-installing the fuel line if you try to get it from the stealer, they tell you it is not sold seperately and you have to buy a new coupler that requires you to remove the fuel pump and float assambly because of the line that connects the coupler to the pump for mucho denero $$$. One post mention that the oil drain plug o-ring is the same as the fuel line o-ring, BANG problem solved HD part #11105, it works trust me no more leak. That said I want to once again thank the professional people of this wonderful forum.

The following 2 users liked this post by StreetGliderRider:
mike131 (07-19-2022), Rollbar (07-20-2022)
Old 04-23-2013, 08:53 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 637 Likes on 460 Posts

Either this or another forum mentioned a John Deere O ring but this is even better, and the first I have heard of this. Thanks for the mention.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:35 PM
Hotrodz_n_Harleyz
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, harley refusing to sell a guy a damn o ring really, really irritates me. that's ridiculous.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:07 PM
GaugeMods
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I keep a extra in my tool box now after fixing it the 1st time. Mine was torn from installing the line/o-ring when it was dry. Not sure if it helps but I put a little saliva on it now before shoving it up in there

Old 04-23-2013, 10:48 PM
Hotrodz_n_Harleyz
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GaugeMods
I keep a extra in my tool box now after fixing it the 1st time. Mine was torn from installing the line/o-ring when it was dry. Not sure if it helps but I put a little saliva on it now before shoving it up in there
Ok... that one's just too damn easy. i was... but now i aint even gonna bother.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:03 PM
sargek
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well that's good to know - I just had the line disconnected this weekend. Thanks for the tip!

Old 04-24-2013, 02:57 PM
waltz4
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fwiw

Not sure what you might have around you in the way of a mom n pop hardware store but down here in the South we have ACE hardware. They carry a great assortment of fasteners, o rings, stainless steel nuts/bolts, even chrome fasteners. Prices are about 1/4th of the dealers prices. Everytime I go in there I spend $10 on things I think I might need one day. I agree with you about forum members, they are the BEST at helping a brotherman out. To slick up those o-rings and/or to keep them from drying out just shoot them with some WD 40.

Last edited by waltz4; 04-24-2013 at 03:00 PM. Reason: left out something
Old 04-24-2013, 03:03 PM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 578 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by waltz4
Not sure what you might have around you in the way of a mom n pop hardware store but down here in the South we have ACE hardware. They carry a great assortment of fasteners, o rings, stainless steel nuts/bolts, even chrome fasteners. Prices are about 1/4th of the dealers prices. Everytime I go in there I spend $10 on things I think I might need one day. I agree with you about forum members, they are the BEST at helping a brotherman out. To slick up those o-rings and/or to keep them from drying out just shoot them with some WD 40.
What he said. I bought a $3.00 assortment of O-rings from the Auto Parts store a few years ago and use them for multiple tasks. You just need to be aware that fuels and other chemicals react differently on different rubber compounds so just keep an eye out on the fuel connection for leaks down the road.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:03 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,779 Likes on 4,679 Posts

Originally Posted by Hotrodz_n_Harleyz
Ok... that one's just too damn easy. i was... but now i aint even gonna bother.
I am ashamed to say it but I went there immediately too!!

Old 04-24-2013, 05:50 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 637 Likes on 460 Posts

Well, I'm not ashamed of being right there with you, great minds run in the same gutter.

Quick Reply: Fuel line quick disconnect fied