Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King: To upgrade or not-Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 11:47 PM
rock2r
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Road King: To upgrade or not-Advice Needed

After lurking on this site for a year I finally joined the Forums-thus my first post:

My FLHR is 1 year old today and I am at the proverbial fork in the road on what to do moving forward; regarding the issues of wind buffeting and the need for a removable tour pack-the latter a need(want) of the wife after having this bike for a year-just can't seem to cram all her stuff in the side bags when we go on short day trips!

I have some regrets of not getting an Ultra back when I purchased the King, but at the time, and after somewhat limited test rides of each, I thought the RK's windshield would be just as good in the wind as a more expensive Ultra's fairing-I believe I was wrong.

Respectfully, should I purchase a Tour Pack and docking Tour Pack rack for the RK, a Reckless or similar Dead-Center fairing and perhaps some lowers from e-bay or, flip the Road King for an new Ultra (exact model to be determined) and gain some gauges and a stereo along with the additional wind protection?

I should add that the RK already is set up with docking hardware, but other than that it is pretty much stock, as I sadly seldom ride it any distance-don't like the wind buffeting at all!

From the financial aspect, if I swapped bikes, I would sell the Road King myself and buy the Ultra very aggressively-so I am not too concerned about the dealer stealing the trade or that aspect of the decision-just the dilemma of a turn-key Ultra vs building up a Road King to look like and Ultra and opinions from those members that may have traveled this very same road before me-is it worth the extra dollars for stepping up to the Ultra?

Finally, other than the lack of a detachable Tour Pack and the wind beating me up on longer trips, I am very happy with the King.

Last edited by rock2r; 05-06-2013 at 12:12 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:56 PM
russdana
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just took mine on a 900 mile ride last week and found the windshield did quite well. Maybe look at a recurved windshield but the wind is going to be there even on a Ultra if your on the highway.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:28 AM
davevv
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I'd just buy a detachable tour pack and a fairing for the RK. It will likely be less expensive than selling yours and buying a new Electra Glide. Plus, you will be able to remove the tour pack when you don't need it to carry the wife's stuff.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:54 AM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 530 Likes on 376 Posts

A recurve w shield and bolt on some fork mounted wind deflectors offer plenty of wind protection. My old universal T-Bag sits on my rack and holds more than a tour pack

Old 05-06-2013, 01:20 AM
PHXBiker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 13 RK and have wondered like you if I should have gotten a EG myself. I picked up a matching vivid black tour pack on CL for $600 including quick release and an air wing rack. Wife loves the back rest and the storage is nice. I dig my full dresser RK but also really like the ability to strip it down when solo. If you want an EG talk to the dealer and see what it will cost you. If it make sense to you go for it, if you don't like what he says pick up a fairing and tour pack and you'll be pretty close to an EG for much less $. If it's just the wind, like the other posters said above, there are other options and windshields are pretty cheap compared to a new bike, sales tax, registration etc

Attached Thumbnails Road King: To upgrade or not-Advice Needed-rk-ws.jpg  
Old 05-06-2013, 02:10 AM
Razorback
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I put on a Long Ride Shield unit and love it. They are a site sponsor, run specials regularly and give a discount to members if I remember correctly. Thicker than stock, slight recurve. Mine has held up nicely.

I like to toss the windshield and and ride around "topless" on hot days sometimes. I'd opt for a detachable fairing w/stereo. If you dont ride distance very often an aftermarket trunk can be had for around a hundred bucks.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:32 AM
rwtrick
Road Captain
Received 267 Likes on 82 Posts

I would figure out the buffeting issue and fix it with the right size windshield, if you still wanted more protection you can add wind deflectors as well. I travel with mine and don't have the problem, I love it on the highway a smooth, quiet ride. You live in a warm climate, so if I were you I'd avoid the fairing - just my opinion.

I would definitely add the tour pack. I love mine and rarely take it off. The King is a terrific bike, I hope you can figure out how to make it work.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:46 AM
The Cheesehead
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

LRS is a 'MUST-DO' IMHO. I also use a center fork wind deflector, the handlebar mount boom audio speakers for my iPod and the RKC tour pack for the OL' crap. All the comforts of home on the bike and still a VERY clean stripped down look without adding all that front faring stuff. While I "get" why people like their farings...I'm just not there...love the look multi-look of the King.

There are all sorts of gadgets and gizmo's to lower the wind buffeting, music, storeage etc. just don't throw good $ after bad. If you want to make a change...just do it! I'd just want to make sure that to give the King the fair shot it deservs. You said it's "pretty much stock"...just a few changes may go a long way. Remember, it's always windier on a King - that's kinda the whole point.

While it's a lot cheaper to tweak your King, it sounds, to me, like you've already figured out how to get rid of it rather than how to make it meet your needs. Look at the title of your post: "...to upgrade or not...". IMO, the King is the upgrade.

Just sayin'.

Good luck with your decision...make sure to let us know how it workes out. One more thing, i bet there are a few threads out here that discuss mods to Kings? Just do a search on wind buffeting, and happy reading.

Last edited by The Cheesehead; 05-06-2013 at 06:06 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:55 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

I went from a Road King to a Street Glide, to a SE Ultra Classic, back to a Street Glide and now am back to a Road King again. full Circle. I'll keep the Road King for all the reasons stated by others here plus it feels much lighter to manuever. You can even put detachable fairling lowers on the RK if you wish. The key is DETACHABLE, you can de-geezer an RK when you wish.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:09 AM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I started out on a Dyna, went to a EG standard, and ultimately couldn't stop until I bought my EG Classic. There were things I learned I wanted as I moved along and was not going to be content until I had them.
Sounds like you are cost conscious enough to see which way will work wisest, but do know 1st hand we won't stop until we hit the point we like.
I for one am amazed at how agile the baggers are. Even 2 up they can be man handled quite easilly.

Quick Reply: Road King: To upgrade or not-Advice Needed