Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spill proof gas cap

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 08:55 AM
SavageChopper
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Spill proof gas cap

I'm looking for a gas cap that will help prevent splashing. I'm thinking something like the type of cap sold for cars that has the trap door the size of the gas nozzle. Has anyone used one and where did you get it? It seems that no matter how I angle the fuel nozzle, gas drops splash up onto the tank. No jokes. :-)

Old 05-26-2013, 09:30 AM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You must have the Hi pressure Gas pumps where You live. Every station here in El Paso is required to have them, and filling My Ultra without splashing was a pain. google McCUFF.com. Their No Splash, No spill Fill Product works for Me.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:48 AM
pastime
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not being a wisea$$....try using just the first notch on the pump handle. It's a slower rate so it will take a bit longer, but it's only a couple of gallons so it won't take THAT much longer. Works for me when I encounter a high pressure/flow pump. Do the pumps where you are have the splash guards on them? Required here, so maybe that's another part of the issue. Guys here mess up by not putting the nozzle all the way in to the tank so the splash guard will actually work.

Good luck.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:49 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Dionicio
You must have the Hi pressure Gas pumps where You live. Every station here in El Paso is required to have them, and filling My Ultra without splashing was a pain. google McCUFF.com. Their No Splash, No spill Fill Product works for Me.
You don't see those advertised anymore. I can see them working but it's got to be a pain at the pump. Dismount, remove cuff from bags/pak, fuel up, put cuff into bags/pak, remount. Guess I'm lazy in my old age.......

Old 05-26-2013, 09:50 AM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

the local harley dealer has a similar device, or at least mine did, works but it is kind of a pita

Old 05-26-2013, 10:24 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

My wifes Lincoln has a capless gas fill. There is a trap door that opens when you put in the nozzel and closes whe you remove it. Could not be easier. This would be the perfect thing for a bike. No need to worry where to put the gas cap.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:15 AM
SavageChopper
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

I've tried the lowest setting at the pump, different angles/depth, etc but I still get splatter and sometimes a small amount down the side of the tank. Its a 2013 SG and not my first Harley. I may just start putting a rag over the area. Thanks for the advice guys.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:12 PM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 724 Likes on 483 Posts

Mine splashes all the time so I just lightly fill it..take a bit to get it done but its mess free

Old 05-26-2013, 12:14 PM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

I just barely pull the handle and it works good

Old 05-26-2013, 01:09 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

For those of us who fill up at the local Murphy stations, typically on Walmart's parking lot, they have all got high volume pumps so they can get the cars in quick and get them the hell out to make way for the next car. These high volume pumps are not the best friend of a motorcycle who typically is filling a gas tank with 6 gallons or less of gasoline. The pumps automatic shut off on a small tank like ours will typically not even come close to the top of the tank. So you end up getting only a squirt at a time in the tank until it is close to the top, then all of a sudden... Bam, and you have gas running down the side of your freshly waxed tank.

Quick Reply: Spill proof gas cap