Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - Radio Interference

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 05:35 AM
jimjudi
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help - Radio Interference

New member here and hoping the forum can offer suggestions to solve a radio interference problem. The bike is a 2011 Ultra Classic with stock radio and GPS interface. The only electrical upgrades are a set of LED accent lights and a Vance & Hines Fuelpak. The radio problem is that there is always a static noise when using the headphones that is almost as loud as the music itself. It's different than a traditional alternator noise because it doesn't increase with RPM's and is always at a constant background level. The noise is present in both the front and rear headset and is not loud enough to be heard through the normal speakers. I've tested the headsets on several other bikes and there is no noise, so I know it's not the headsets. For other reasons, the radio was just replaced by the dealer (thank you HD warranty) and the new radio has the same problem as the old.

Does anyone know of a problem with the V&H Fuelpak causing interference problems? Does anyone have a similar issue or suggested solution? Thanks in advance for your suggestions..

Jim
2011 Ultra Classic
2011 Street Glide 103

Last edited by jimjudi; 05-31-2013 at 05:39 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:47 AM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

had a 2010 with no problem and a 2013 with no interference....but then, i don't have adds. you said it only in the headphones....does it do it if you are plugged in and onlyhave the accessory switch on? do you hear it only when actually running? what about in accessory mode? if you only have the static while the headset is plugged in, and not on the speakers, it sounds like something is funky with the intercom set up otherwise you should have it when running, using the speakers without the headset....no engineer here so just trying to think this through.

Last edited by cass; 05-31-2013 at 05:49 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:18 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 616 Likes on 385 Posts

You might spray some electrical contact cleaner where you plug in the headset. Wipe excess off your paint, if you over spray.

Are you using the OE resistor type spark plug? If not, this might contribute to the noise.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:31 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

LED light circuits can cause broad band emi. Either unplug or un-fuse your light and see if the emi goes away.

Last edited by Lowcountry Joe; 05-31-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:53 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There was a thread the other day where someone was having interference in the radio with led lights also. I think the solution turned out to be the lights. Kinda makes you go hummmmm dont it? I have set of led accent lights waiting on me when I get back from this rotation, now I might just wait to install them until a solution is found.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:11 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

LED accent, turn signals and brake lights will not cause interference. You will need a load equalizer though.

The LED headlights and some of the LED driving lights will.

Just installed a TL Phase 7 and now I have interference in AM/FM & Weather Band. Thank God I only listen to satellite.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:14 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh great, I have a set of TLPH7 waiting on me to, lmao.... I paid to much for those and I want the brighter lights, so I will live with the interference if it has it.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:16 AM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,561 Likes on 730 Posts

It could be your lights as some led lamps use a switching power supply circuit to drop your voltage to the LEDs to about 3 volts, the actual operating voltage of an led. Some of these switching supplies, though efficient power wise, are known to generate horrendous radio frequency interference which can get into radio and audio circuits. Try disconnecting your lamps and see if the noise goes away. If it does then you've found the culprit.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:26 AM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I had the same problem with my '08. I cured it with a set of Screamin' Eagle plug wires but my noise did change with the RPM's.

On my '12, I'm running thru a headphone amp. With the music paused, I can hear a small amount of engine noise but you can't hear it with the music playing or I would have already tracked it down. The noise I have now doesn't change with the RPM's.

Last edited by vickers1; 05-31-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:05 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Ride my Seesaw
It could be your lights as some led lamps use a switching power supply circuit to drop your voltage to the LEDs to about 3 volts, the actual operating voltage of an led. Some of these switching supplies, though efficient power wise, are known to generate horrendous radio frequency interference which can get into radio and audio circuits. Try disconnecting your lamps and see if the noise goes away. If it does then you've found the culprit.

I found that with the headlight on (bike running or not) the interference was present. Headlight off and ignition on Acces, no interference. What's that tell you......Note: I'm running a Y connector for the stock antenna laid down along the frame and a inner fairing antenna to the radio.

Quick Reply: Help - Radio Interference